Suggestion for Fridge & Washing Machine

tellranga

Friends,
I need to buy the following two,
  • a 2 door 310 Ltrs Fridge ( budget 22K )and
  • a Fully automotic 6.5 Kg Top Load Washing Machine ( budget 16K )
After speaking with a Croma Salesman, I got the feedback that Samsung for the above two is better than LG / Whirlpool / IFB etc.
Still I thought of getting a second opinion from HFV members.

So can you help me finalize the brand before I make a final call.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi
I would recommend an Electrolux for a fridge and a siemens for the WM.

Am sure there is an Electrolux in the 300 / 350 lts size. Am not too sure if Siemens has a fully auto top loading WM though.

I have a Siemens Front loading WM thats been brilliant and washes better than anything I had prior and that includes an IFB.

Rgds

Hello tellranga, i had bad experience with Samsung 2 door frost free 310 Lt fridge bought 15 months back, makes lot of sound. It stopped working 5 days back :mad:
My option is Whirlpool, lot of folks recommended it, but i made the wrong choice :sad: i do not know about LG.

Regards,
Anil

Last edited:
For WM and refrigerator ....... its LG all the way. ABSOLUTELY, no questions regarding quality, after-sales service (perceived to be the MOST important feel-good factor) and plain simple VFM.

Like my other purchases, had done a very detailed survey of the markets before going over to LG. PLEASE, no Samsung. Product quality in these two segments, just not upto the mark and zilch service.

For WM, instead of the fully automatic, go for the 6.5 kg semi-automatic. One model (forget model) has electronic speed and other controls instead of the electro-mechanical knobs. Looks good too and bloody sturdy.

Refrain from fully auto machines..... too much water wastage and if you are on a tight operational budget, then savings on detergents too. You ain't getting controlled by the PLC of the unit, if you settle for the semi-auto models.

I had full auto 1st (National) and 2nd (LG) machines. The current one is a semi-auto LG .......... know the clear ease and VFM of the semis.

I got LG 7.5 full auto WM for 14k & Single Door samy 5star 210lit fridge for Rs.9500 in Diwali & working fine.

hi tellranga,

i was in the same position as you some months back. i was researching a washing machine. i won't give you brand recommendations cos everyone i talked to had a different opinion! what i can offer is general advice i came across.

1: top loading washing machines are harder on clothes, more wear and tear cos of the back and forth movement pulling clothes typical 1-2-1-2 wash advertised for all such machines. a front loading machine is more gentle on the clothes cos they fall down into water in the drum. this is a point that lot of people have pointed out including techies from the industry.

2: electronic controls (electrical controls are buttons with logic programming boards) might be the in thing but more repair men are called for failures in these controls. it's a washing machine and water will find some way to get to the controls no matter how they're protected. murphy's law and empirical evidence compiled. electro-mechanical controls (knobs you turn to select a setting) while they are last gen tech, they are more reliable and less likely to have you picking up the phone to call for service.

i have somewhat settled on the ifb front loading machine. though their earlier machines which were imported were extremely well regarded even by their own company repair guys (had one back home that worked flawlessly for bout 20 years). the newer ones don't have that good a rep but then from what i've read all the brands seem to have their own share of issues/failures/breakdowns.

the fridge seems to be simpler purchase :)

regards

edit: forget the ATC mentioned by shahrukh. how could i forget to recommend what i always do!!! buy a SET amplifier the lyrita audio one is an excellent choice superb! if the money you're spending doesn't burn a hole in yer pocket, the tubes will do the needful to all clothes put in the glowing wash!!! :D

Last edited:
Fridge: LG, They are really good, no issues at all.....
Washing Machine: Front Loading all the way, Stay clear from IFB (Become Rubbish), go for new Direct Drive Model from LG, 10 yr warranty on motor, consumes less power, good Service.

Look, you guys are again pushing me to come up with the practical aspects of a WM ...... just like AC.

Top Loads give a bloody thorough scrub to the clothes as against a 'gentle touch' with the Front Loads ......... so, life of your designer outfits would be less in case you opt for Top Loads. But, all depends as what you intend to do with a WM .....?

Ever washed clothes yourself .... by hand, I mean. You must have noticed that in most places in India, you would have deep black caricatures on your shirt collar insides ..... and yellow stain marks at the armpit zone .... Without the proper scrub, which in a way also screws your outfit ... how else can you rid those marks???????

So, it is Top Load all the way ..... Front Loads are for the US and Europe markets .... where there is much less of dust and grime and sweat and diesel fumes ... etc etc etc and far more of designer outfits ....

Ever washed clothes yourself .... by hand, I mean. You must have noticed that in most places in India, you would have deep black caricatures on your shirt collar insides ..... and yellow stain marks at the armpit zone .... Without the proper scrub, which in a way also screws your outfit ... how else can you rid those marks???????

i have made bold the text in your comment cos i'm responding to that. in my experience of a top load and front load, the front load cleaned better. i had a front load at home and a top top in the pg where i was staying i bombay. a front load gives 'the proper scrub' as you call it without bashing the clothes up. so you can indeed clean better without clothes damage and indeed everywhere i've read on the net common consensus seems to be that front load cleans better. the top loader has the main benefit of the person not having to stoop down to load the machine. tellranga you'd do well to research this with some googling.

simply no contest. then again YMMV :)

regards

Hi Tellranga,

I had been using LG WM and Fridge for more than 5 years and have never faced any issues.This 5 yrs included 4 house changes and 3 location changes (Typical IT crowd).

In all these years i have called LG guys just once when my washing machine gave me an error code which needed service and it was found that tub was supposed to be cleaned with hot water which i never did in 3 years of ownership at that point.

Calling LG was a good experience as the guy came the same day and all i paid was arnd 230rs for his visit.

since then no issue till now.

I may sound like an LG salesman but i have been very happy with their service and have been their customer for many other products except AV products.

As far as cleaning quality and all are concerned i have used IFB front loading and i found LG to be better.

I am thinking of buying a second fridge and i wouldn't even think about checking any other brand.

Hi
I would recommend an Electrolux for a fridge and a siemens for the WM.

Am sure there is an Electrolux in the 300 / 350 lts size. Am not too sure if Siemens has a fully auto top loading WM though.

I have a Siemens Front loading WM thats been brilliant and washes better than anything I had prior and that includes an IFB.

Rgds

hi dinyaar,

yes, the siemens WM are really very good - much better (and reliable) than IFB and the Indesit before IFB.

regds suri

We've been using LG fridges for over 10 years now...and no problem in any one of them...on our way to biuy another one...would wholeheartedly recommend LG for fridge...

Using whirlpool top loading washing machine for the last 4 years with no problems...you could consider this brand...

a few of points I'd mention regarding top loading vs. front loading...

• top loaders use less water and less power
  • its a typical habit (at least in our household) to 'add' clothes to the wash after the wash has started. top loaders let you do that
  • front loaders need a permanent installation, top loader can be moved around.
  • In case of a power outage, it's not easy for you to let out the water from a front loader
  • to be fair to front loaders, their cleaning is marginally better

hope this helps...else go with shahrukh's recommendation ;)

Tellranga,

Siemens or Tromm for WM, in my personal experience front loader cleans better. I use a Samsung top loader fully auto, no issues, dries well too, cleaning is ok, but not as good as the front loaders I have used.

Fridge, go for whirlpool, even one of my relatives who works for LG recommends Whirlpool.

List of my best of lots for white goods:-

Washing Machine : Siemens
Fridge : Whitewesting House
Dryer : Siemens OR Evolution

[*]its a typical habit (at least in our household) to 'add' clothes to the wash after the wash has started. top loaders let you do that

That too, if it is a semi-auto. It is damn easy in the semi-auto models as you are not tied down to the PLC of the machines.

I have used both auto and semi-autos .... the first machine (National - auto / top load) was procured way back in 1987, the LG auto/top load in 1998 and now, LG semi-auto. This above feature is a boon for us (sorry, me) poor 'middle class', as low on water and control on detergents.

This is a practical info ... India specific, unlike the ones in 'google' which are Europe /US centric.

Adividyarti, At my ancestral home, we have a fully auto IFB as well as a semi auto videocon(from stone age) and a brand new LG semi auto. The problem with LG semi auto is it consumes way too much water! The water level has to always be upto the filter/pocket thing, whatever be the amount of clothes in it! And it gets clean only if you also pitch in with some wringing/muscle power. More importantly the dryer is useless. While my cheapo samsung fully auto dries clothes pretty well. And then there is the irritating buzzer sound when you have to drain water, or reset the timer in a semi auto.
But I guess, its a personal thing, I would never think of fully automatic camera but I can live with a fully auto WM, as I dont want to be bothered every 15-30 min. Fill it, shut it, forget it, till it sings the song beckoning you to take out the clothes!
Sure the fully auto is fully in WM electronic control, but it does offer a lot of convenience.
Edit:Fully auto top loaders can be paused as you like to add clothes and most of them have memory which means they will resume from where it stopped after a power failure.

hi dinyaar,

yes, the siemens WM are really very good - much better (and reliable) than IFB and the Indesit before IFB.

regds suri

Suri ji Indesit is only strong in cooking appliances I believe. I am happy with my german Siemens WM (kid u not its actually Made in Germany) and the Electrolux which is imported from either Brazil or Thailand.
This WM is far better than my earlier IFB and before that a few National WM s which were pretty lousy. Thankfully we are spoilt for choice now unlike earlier when one bought from the limited that was available in grey.

Whats nice about the Siemens is that though it does not claim to have 100 % drying capability the clothes come out reasonably dry, so I saved myself some moolah that would have gone into a clothes dryer:D

Rgds

I am having a White-Westinghouse washing machine.

It is heavy duty with a 10.1kg capacity, which can take in a lot of clothes, it has the facility to clean with hot water too, it has a 35 litre geaser, machines which are mainly sold in the market are 6kg, so with this 10 kg the cleaning is much less frequently and moreover the major advantage is that it drys the clothes hundred per cent, this greatly helps during the rain seasons and otherwise also there is no need to dry the clothes in balcony.

I find this machine too good.

V.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back