Suggestion for Fridge & Washing Machine

Vinay, I guess its imported? An uncle of mine had a huge White westing house refrigerator, cools like the arctic. Unfortunately it was a electricity guzzler and used to singularly take the energy bill skyward!

The problem with LG semi auto is it consumes way too much water! The water level has to always be upto the filter/pocket thing, whatever be the amount of clothes in it! And it gets clean only if you also pitch in with some wringing/muscle power. .

This is exactly the reason why you are'nt satisfied with the WM .... water level upto the filter, no matter whatever be the amount of clothes.

Just fill water so that the clothes 'just' get covered, no more. Right now, you are kind of making the clothes swim in water. How do you reckon the scrubbing to take place?????????

The other points mentioned are not the point of contention. A fully auto WM drinks 3 times the quantity of water .... compared to semi m/cs. If in doubt, ask any housewife. Most would know the FACTS, if operating one.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I will keep that in mind.
But then shouldn't I be getting optimal result when the load is full and I am not adding excess water to level up to the packet? That's not happening.
The other points mentioned are usually important like drying esp in the congested spaces we live in these days. Btw, I live in an apartment where space and water is on low ration.

Fridge : LG no issues for the last 4 years
Washing Machine : Front Loading LG TROMM (Front loaders wash better with lesser water)

Washing machines - absolutely no contest - Siemens by far! All their machines are imported from Turkey IIRC. I am on my second machine - both have been Siemens - and absolutely nothing comes close to the Siemens front loader when it comes to both cleaning and fabricare!

Secondly front loaders consume a lot less water and detergent than any top loader .. Normal consumption parameters will be available on almost all company websites.

Siemens machines also have the 'memory' facility - the ability to remember where in the washing cycle it was and pick up from there in case of a powercut etc.

Please ensure you use SOFT water in your washing machines.. If not the wear and tear will be high and your clothes will not last long as well.. If you have only hard water pls use water softeners and also use descaling chemicals at periodic intervals.

Lastly - pl invest in a fully automatic machine - unless you have the time to babysit each cycle.

Last edited:
@ iaudio
If you are using a semi-auto WM, then quite a bit of 'good' practices come from actual usage, just like when you have started using a microwave oven (usually available in India). Initial phases are difficult as you have to constantly note the actual time that is required for heating or cooking a dish. Some MWOs have sensor-heating/cooking function, which automatically switches off the MWO when the food is done. Such machines are expensive @ double to the normal ones.

When you say, the load is full, it is highly subjective. One usually needs to stand in front of the machine and see at what stage the clothes are 'just' getting immersed in water. This idea comes with regular usage .... resulting in lesser water and detergent. A fully auto machine of course does not follow the human experience pattern as load cells and sensors tell it to cut off water supply when it feels enough has been added.

Taking another example ..... automatic vehicles, what happens there? The fuel consumption is more than 20% in that case in comparison to vehicles having manual clutch and gears. Man needs only to control the accelerator, while the vehicle decides when to engage which gear depending on the vehicle speed. This benefit eats into fuel ........ similar with semi-auto WM, where if you learn to get your basics right, it would start giving you the most economical and clean results.

@ sujit
Yes, no doubt, if both the hus-wif are bread earners, then the easy way out is a full auto WM, more due to paucity of time and it would come at a price too, both capital as well as operational.....:)

I repeat - if water is the only concern, a properly designed fully automatic front loader will use a lot less water than a top loader would. Please take a look at the Siemens India website - Siemens Home Appliances | Product Showroom - Product Showroom - Laundry - Washing machines - Free Standing - List

All the specs are given there - including water consumption figures (over an entire wash + rinse cycle). Apparently you can run a half load program as well!

With any machine there is a threshold of efficiency - below which ANY machine will be inefficient! So if you buy a 7 kg machine - please put in as close to 7 kgs as possible each cycle if you want the best possible figures! Anything less - or more- will effect the numbers!

Finally a Tata Nano and a Merc 560 SEL - both serve the purpose of transportation from point A to B.

Does this happen ever ..... that families accumulate clothes till it suffices the norms of full load ? Well, bachelors do so as cleaning activities are left for the weekends.

On a practical note, most Indian families do this 'cleaning' on a regular, daily basis. So, full load conditions seldom come in and the WM has to run on part loads most of the time.

Is it not the case ?

Am not getting into a debate of what is better i.e top or Front loading as I dont have all the facts and figures.

What I do know is that most machines (siemens does) have a SHORT WASH cycle which lasts for only about45 mins as against full cycle of about 2 Hrs (varies a bit with water pressure). In the short wash U naturally use less water and electricity. So on an everyday basis or every alternate day one uses this short wash and opts for regular cycle only when washing linen OR a Large load of clothes.

I guess we have confused the OP a fair bit:D

Rgds

The reason why i took such a dynamic washing machine which is called laundry, was exclusively because i do not want to start the machine every know and then, so i operate it once a week near about, i see to it that it is full load then only i operate it.

It is very true that Indian families want to operate the machine on regular basis for nothing at all and they do not want to go with the higher capacities or for that matter they will rarely go for the hundred per cent dryer though many of them can afford it, these things amaze me.

V.

Does this happen ever ..... that families accumulate clothes till it suffices the norms of full load ? Well, bachelors do so as cleaning activities are left for the weekends.

On a practical note, most Indian families do this 'cleaning' on a regular, daily basis. So, full load conditions seldom come in and the WM has to run on part loads most of the time.

Is it not the case ?

Last edited:
they will rarely go for the hundred per cent dryer though many of them can afford it, these things amaze me.

Vinay, there are two reasons for it. One is, of course, the fact that you can save electricity by hanging the clothes in the sun. The second is that a few hours of such drying, at least for white, helps to bleach the clothes, and remove any lingering smell.

The second is something I have not been able to understand. My wife insists that a dryer in a washing machine reduces the life of the garment.

Cheers

My wife insists that a dryer in a washing machine reduces the life of the garment

hi venkatcr - truly - it does reduce the (usable) life span of clothes - first to go are the collar stiffeners - they acquire gentle (designer) curves when hot- air
dried - some of my shirts have removable stiffeners - some do not.

coloured cottons are best left to dry in the shade - direct sunlight and hot-air drying are murder attempts!

regds - suri

Well about saving the electricity is no big deal, i do not think it consumes much, and even if does, i think it is okay compared to the abuse which some people do by keeping an air condition on for the full day or for that matter keep the lights and fans on when not required, so the best we can do is make up by saving the electricity at other areas. By drying in the sun, it has it's own issues, once you put them and then you remove them, while it is exposed to the dust for so many hours, with effective sun, some clothes life may also impact, and then there will be times when the clip has not been put properly and the cloth could fly into the compound, lottery for some of the watchman in the building. If there are some specific clothes, it can be always hand washed.

Well your respective wife is correct that the dryer does reduce the life of the garment but that will be to a smaller extent but that is very much fine because if we observe that most of the clothes we wear and then later we give away after a few years usage, most of them will not be in torn or damaged shape, it is just that we want to replace with the new set of clothes.

If you will allow me to talk to your wife 3 times, then i can assure you that she will chase you to buy the laundry type machine i am having, which will leave a deep hole in your pocket, as the cost is quite high but in return she will love you more for the relief and organized rally she will achieve.

V.

Vinay, there are two reasons for it. One is, of course, the fact that you can save electricity by hanging the clothes in the sun. The second is that a few hours of such drying, at least for white, helps to bleach the clothes, and remove any lingering smell.

The second is something I have not been able to understand. My wife insists that a dryer in a washing machine reduces the life of the garment.

Cheers

Hello Suri,

Well i have been using the machine for more then 4 years, i have not had such collar issue but i wear only 'T' shirts while most of them are coloured cotton, never has been an bad effect.

I am using Westinghouse brand machine, maybe with some lower brands there could be issues, but the leading brands should do their job well.

V.

hi venkatcr - truly - it does reduce the (usable) life span of clothes - first to go are the collar stiffeners - they acquire gentle (designer) curves when hot- air
dried - some of my shirts have removable stiffeners - some do not.

coloured cottons are best left to dry in the shade - direct sunlight and hot-air drying are murder attempts!

regds - suri

If you will allow me to talk to your wife 3 times, then i can assure you that she will chase you to buy the laundry type machine i am having, which will leave a deep hole in your pocket, as the cost is quite high but in return she will love you more for the relief and organized rally she will achieve.

:):):) You don't know my wife. She can convince a insurance salesman to sell the insurance to himself and give her a commission !! And regarding buying new clothes, again, my wife is the world champ. She uses a set of clothes only once in her life, while some of my clothes are 5 to 7 years old. Sigh!

I live in an independent house and have none of the issues you mentioned about drying. In any case, when we buy a new washing machine, I plan to get one with a washer.

Cheers

Venkatcr,

Well if someone can sell a comb to the bald guy, that is surely a great talent, i believe such people should be in marketing and make a great career without much efforts. My regards to your wife.

V.

Is it not the case ?

We don't and never did - and no body I know ever did/does. (Yes actually I asked ten housewives today - just to make sure I am not being presumptuous!) And like you said for the working couples and the bachelors this is a weekend routine!

I asked three different service guys the same question today - and all three concurred that the most common complaint they receive is that associated with OVERLOADING - and never the other way around. Most Indian households seem to be interested in electricity costs - so they tend to maximize the load/over load. If fact they are taught specifically to demo how to, and how much to load every time they go for an installation.

Most families used to having washing machines seem to have a pattern of using them as well - a family of four the machine generally gets used 3-4 times a week.. One run for cottons, another for colored's, a third for gentle wash, a fourth for linen and so on. Everyone seems to have a separate "curtains" day (and the real heavy ones are given for dry-cleaning of course!). In my house, even the kids uniforms are ordered accordingly!

Biggest problem with the general populace is with EVERYTHING we buy comes a USERS MANUAL - which we, at best, give a cursory glance to! If we were to read, understand, and follow the instructions, we might actually be able to extract the best out of the purchased object!

As washing machines become commonplace, so will machine etiquette!

Almost forgot... Reg the FRIDGE - I have been using a two door Whirlpool 285 Elite for the last 9-10 years. This has lasted some 7 shifts including 5 out of state ones. Except for the dings on it due to the transporter's carelessness, the fridge has NEVER given me so much as a whimper till date! I bought it for some 7-8 k then. I had a fright when I asked for current rates!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back