Suggestions on BIC America F12

Hi,

Is your setup done? we are waiting to listen from you and the pictures of your custom speaker stands.

Sorry, I was on and off over the long weekend and didn't go through the threads except sharing the sub pictures.

I have setup the subwoofer and tested the audio with various movies. The sub plays really well. This is the first time, I am hearing from a sub which is large in size and output. I tested the setup with the movies, Martian, Avatar, Training Day (Atmos Disc), Everest (Atmos Disc), Interstellar, Vishwaroopam (Tamil). The low frequency is just amazing! I am keeping the volume at only 3 points in the sub (Cross over is at 80Hz in my AVR). Beyond that, the punch is stronger and the door starts rattling.

I am getting my bookshelf speaker stand today along with a custom made TV furniture. I am sharing the bookshelf stand pictures with this thread which I took in the carpenter's workshop yesterday. The bookshelf speaker stand is made in the black color of the teak wood (in the stem), base and the stand are made of MDF with melamine finish. It is made as per the bookshelf speaker stand specification.

Stem - 3" X 30.5" X 3" - W X H X D
Base - 12" X 0.75" X 12" - W X H X D
Top - 9" X 0.75" X 11" - W X H X D
Weight - 6kg / Per Stand

My 5.0 speakers and sub have to break in yet (Together totally played for 6 to 7 hours so far). I will share the pictures of my setup either tonight or tomorrow.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Sorry, I was on and off over the long weekend and didn't go through the threads except sharing the sub pictures.

I have setup the subwoofer and tested the audio with various movies. The sub plays really well. This is the first time, I am hearing from a sub which is large in size and output. I tested the setup with the movies, Martian, Avatar, Training Day (Atmos Disc), Everest (Atmos Disc), Interstellar, Vishwaroopam (Tamil). The low frequency is just amazing! I am keeping the volume at only 3 points in the sub (Cross over is at 80Hz in my AVR). Beyond that, the punch is stronger and the door starts rattling.

I am getting my bookshelf speaker stand today along with a custom made TV furniture. I am sharing the bookshelf stand pictures with this thread which I took in the carpenter's workshop yesterday. The bookshelf speaker stand is made in the black color of the teak wood (in the stem), base and the stand are made of MDF with melamine finish. It is made as per the bookshelf speaker stand specification.

Stem - 3" X 30.5" X 3" - W X H X D
Base - 12" X 0.75" X 12" - W X H X D
Top - 9" X 0.75" X 11" - W X H X D
Weight - 6kg / Per Stand

My 5.0 speakers and sub have to break in yet (Together totally played for 6 to 7 hours so far). I will share the pictures of my setup either tonight or tomorrow.
Stands look awesome.

My sub is getting more and more enjoyable with the burn in process. Approximately they have been used for 7 hours and bass is getting punchier with each passing hour. I am also using it on 3 points. Beyond that glass panes starts to vibrate.

What is the subwoofer level in your AVR? Mine is -8 dB.

I am thinking to make a Subwoofer stand(MDF+carpet runner+Hard Foam) within a day or two. Two benefits, cleaning of floor near the Sub will be easy and isolation from floor to prevent vibrations going to floor and walls.

Stands look awesome.

My sub is getting more and more enjoyable with the burn in process. Approximately they have been used for 7 hours and bass is getting punchier with each passing hour. I am also using it on 3 points. Beyond that glass panes starts to vibrate.

What is the subwoofer level in your AVR? Mine is -8 dB.

I am thinking to make a Subwoofer stand(MDF+carpet runner+Hard Foam) within a day or two. Two benefits, cleaning of floor near the Sub will be easy and isolation from floor to prevent vibrations going to floor and walls.

My LFE is set to +5.0dB in my receiver. Being a newbie and a learner, I am not sure if the setting is right.

I am sharing the configuration below.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 78
My LFE is set to +5.0dB in my receiver. Being a newbie and a learner, I am not sure if the setting is right.

I am sharing the configuration below.
For me its overpowered. I will suggest to turn off Extra Bass and bring down the LFE level too. I think, with your current settings you will get very heavy bass. But again, it depends on your listening taste and subwoofer placement and environment. You can bring down the levels and check if it suits you and your listening environment.

Thanks

For me its overpowered. I will suggest to turn off Extra Bass and bring down the LFE level too. I think, with your current settings you will get very heavy bass. But again, it depends on your listening taste and subwoofer placement and environment. You can bring down the levels and check if it suits you and your listening environment.

Thanks

Is there an ideal setting for this? I notice the overall output comes down if I bring down the dB.

It is set by me. It is 8 feet from my sitting position.

How did you arrive at +5db for the sub?

Best would be to keep the volume on the sub to 50%, crossover to full, phase to "0" & then run the YPAO and note down the settings.. YPAO should set all speakers to 75 ~ 80 db SPL level w.r.t your listening postion.. Then tweak to your satisfactory level, if needed..

How did you arrive at +5db for the sub?

Best would be to keep the volume on the sub to 50%, crossover to full, phase to "0" & then run the YPAO and note down the settings.. YPAO should set all speakers to 75 ~ 80 db SPL level w.r.t your listening postion.. Then tweak to your satisfactory level, if needed..

I will try this. As I said, I am learning my receiver settings and trying to come up with the right optimal audio settings which I couldn't arrive so far. I will attempt what you suggested and see if it sounds better.

I will try this. As I said, I am learning my receiver settings and trying to come up with the right optimal audio settings which I couldn't arrive so far. I will attempt what you suggested and see if it sounds better.

Not a prob.. For a very long time (initial days of Onkyo HTIB) & lack of internet facility, i wasn't too sure of what the speaker level setting on AVR meant for.. There was no auto calibration then.. The Onkyo installer, roughly set it to generic values (without SPL meter).. Unhappy with the settings, i would always set it to max (+12db) for all speakers, thinking that would give best results :eek:hyeah:

Only when i started reading abt Auto calibration like Audyssey (internet) on my previous AVR, i understood the speaker level setting in AVR..

Not a prob.. For a very long time (initial days of Onkyo HTIB) & lack of internet facility, i wasn't too sure of what the speaker level setting on AVR meant for.. There was no auto calibration then.. The Onkyo installer, roughly set it to generic values (without SPL meter).. Unhappy with the settings, i would always set it to max (+12db) for all speakers, thinking that would give best results :eek:hyeah:

Only when i started reading abt Auto calibration like Audyssey (internet) on my previous AVR, i understood the speaker level setting in AVR..

May be I am right now in Onkyo days out of ignorance..:D It takes a bit of time to gain the expertise...

Last edited:
Is there an ideal setting for this? I notice the overall output comes down if I bring down the dB.

For overall output, raise the volume to your desired level. Speaker levels in AVR should be increased only if you are not able achieve the desire output by raising the volume of AVR. Speaker level settings are provided to achieve the same output from each speaker w.r.t. listening position.

I have received my bookshelf speaker stand pair... Shared the pictures below..

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-08-16 at 19.49.50 (1).jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-08-16 at 19.49.50 (1).jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 100
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-08-16 at 19.49.50.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-08-16 at 19.49.50.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 100
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-08-16 at 19.49.51 (1).jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-08-16 at 19.49.51 (1).jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 99
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-08-16 at 19.49.51 (2).jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-08-16 at 19.49.51 (2).jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 99
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-08-16 at 19.49.51.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-08-16 at 19.49.51.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Nice stands.. Are DIY? Would you mind sharing the price?

No, this was done by a carpenter whom I know for some time. For the pair, I spent Rs 2,000/- for the goods and making charges.

In my previous posts, I shared the measurements and the material details.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back