Suggestions on good UPS for PJ

micjak77

Hey all,

Please help me in deciding a UPS for Hitachi PJ TX100. I have checked out APC 500 VA model. Not sure if this is the right one. This model is basically meant to be used with comp and costs around 2.5k. Is there anything like a dedicated UPS model meant to be used with PJ's. I know it sounds wierd. But I have zero knowledge about UPS's.

Anyone here have similar PJ's may beTX-200 or 300 please advise what UPS are you guys using. Please treat this as urgent. Need to wind this purchase in couple of days. please help.

Mickjak:

An UPS may not a good option for audio/video systems. This has been been discussed many times in the forum. A good UPS that gives pure sine wave and has enough capacity to handle AV requirements will end up being expensive.

A computer has an in built SMPS, and the UPS that are generally used are meant to shut down the computer so that you don't lose data. With a projector, on the other hand, if it goes off because of loss of power, you don't lose anything.

What may be better is a servo controlled stabiliser of 1 or 1.5 KVA capacity.

Please see if you can read the threads relating to power control.

Cheers

Mickjak:

An UPS may not a good option for audio/video systems. This has been been discussed many times in the forum. A good UPS that gives pure sine wave and has enough capacity to handle AV requirements will end up being expensive.

A computer has an in built SMPS, and the UPS that are generally used are meant to shut down the computer so that you don't lose data. With a projector, on the other hand, if it goes off because of loss of power, you don't lose anything.

What may be better is a servo controlled stabiliser of 1 or 1.5 KVA capacity.

Please see if you can read the threads relating to power control.

Cheers

Venkat, I also read comments here saying that one must have a UPS for PJ. I am getting confused.

So does a servo controlled stabiliser give a power back up as soon as the power is shut. My understanding is that PJ should get uninterrupted power till the lamp is cooled off. Does Servo take care of this.

How much does a decent servo of the spec you mentioned costs?

Venkat, I also read comments here saying that one must have a UPS for PJ. I am getting confused.

So does a servo controlled stabiliser give a power back up as soon as the power is shut. My understanding is that PJ should get uninterrupted power till the lamp is cooled off. Does Servo take care of this.

How much does a decent servo of the spec you mentioned costs?

Hi

A servo stabiliser will not give you a backup power when the power is shut, for this you have to use a UPS .you can look for UPS around 1KVA .APC is a good brand and you can go for their UPS .

Mohan

APC does have Complete Power Conditioning solutions for Home Theatre. You can check it out at APCAV - Products

However I am not sure if they sell them in India.

Hi

A servo stabiliser will not give you a backup power when the power is shut, for this you have to use a UPS .you can look for UPS around 1KVA .APC is a good brand and you can go for their UPS .

Mohan

Mohan, any particular reason why you would suggest 1 KVA, why not 500 or 600 VA?

APC does have Complete Power Conditioning solutions for Home Theatre. You can check it out at APCAV - Products

However I am not sure if they sell them in India.

Hi Anil, thanks for the info. By the looks and specs of it it seems that these might be out of my budgetary reach but now I atleast know that there are such products available. Thanks PAL!

Hi..I use the APC 500 with my Panasonic. It wont support full functioning of the PJ, but it will provide enough power to run the fan to cool the projector in the event of power failure which is very *critical*. so the minute power goes, you need to turn off the PJ, after which the UPS would power the fan to cool down. Cheers.

Thanks ALL - I am contemplating 500 VA, APC dont know the model no. I think this should suffice. Since my only purpose is fan cooling, nothing beyond. What says MoserW, Audiodelic, gSubash. SUbash btw when you said 500 did you mean 500 VA?

Thanks ALL - I am contemplating 500 VA, APC dont know the model no. I think this should suffice. Since my only purpose is fan cooling, nothing beyond. What says MoserW, Audiodelic, gSubash. SUbash btw when you said 500 did you mean 500 VA?

Try to go with 600 VA if the price difference is not too much. Stick with APC, at least I can recommend it from personal experience having used it for years.

Try to go with 600 VA if the price difference is not too much. Stick with APC, at least I can recommend it from personal experience having used it for years.

Moserw, whats the technical reason for suggesting 600 over 500VA, just like to understand that part? Am I not suffieciently covered in terms of power etc when going with 500 VA?

Moserw, whats the technical reason for suggesting 600 over 500VA, just like to understand that part? Am I not suffieciently covered in terms of power etc when going with 500 VA?

Nothing really. Even the chips used are generally the same in both 500 VA and 600/650 VA. 500 VA is fine, even I use 500 VA. Just that if the price difference is not huge you can consider 600 VA since 600 VA would provide more backup time and also handle more load though not very much since the difference is only 100 VA. Just consider the max bang for buck factor when deciding, that's all.

Nothing really. Even the chips used are generally the same in both 500 VA and 600/650 VA. 500 VA is fine, even I use 500 VA. Just that if the price difference is not huge you can consider 600 VA since 600 VA would provide more backup time and also handle more load though not very much since the difference is only 100 VA. Just consider the max bang for buck factor when deciding, that's all.

Thanks Moserw, makes sense. I ll sure consider 600 VA post taking price differential into consideration.

What is the load you are using on this 500VA backup? is it a projector?

if it is a projector which draws approx 300Watts of power then the 500VA UPS will fail immediately. I am 100% sure the 500 VA will fail !!!!

If you are investing in a projector for more than 50k please invest another 3-4 k for a mininum 800VA UPS or 1 KVA (best) that will give you at least 5-10 mins of backup. Also please keep in mind that as the batteries age then the backup time also reduces. Hence if your 800 va UPS gives 5 mins backup when new will eventually give you 1-2 mins backup after 1 yr.

The sizing of the UPS should be done using a calculation as below,
1. Take the Amp and Volt reading of the projector and multiply the Volt x Amp to get the total VA.
2. Easier approach, if the projector is rates in max Watts or just Watts, then convert to VA by multiplying by 1.43.
3. Add a factor of safety FOS of at least 50% (30% for additional load and 20% for battery life degradation + misc factors not known)
Example Optoma HD65 (my new projector) is rated 265max Watts. Since this is at test conditions, assume it to be approx 300W (OMG thats big!!! Considering that an average DVD player draws 10-12 W only)
- 300w X 1.43 = 430 VA
- 430VA * 1.5 FOS= 645 VA
I have tested this using a 500VA APS and a 800 VA microtek UPS systems using the HD65. The 500 VA APS failed immediately. 800VA UPS gives me 5 mins backup. Best option is to use a Auto Shut Down feature on most projectors that will shut down the PJ if there is no source signal. I set it to 1 min.
Always , Play safe!!

I had the opportunity to test the 500VA on my Pana 200, the UPS held on for 30/40 seconds by which time* i had the opportunity to hit the power down switch. I suppose* if the price differential is not large, you can go in for a slightly higher rating. Of course the UPS deteriorate with time (my friends 500VA being used for similar application has conked out in a year and half) and I am not sure if that can be mitigated wtih higher rating.

I have a APC SURT2000VA UPS for my epsontw2000.
This is a pure sine wave online generator with 10 minutes back up. it cost me 38K. Maybe an overkill, but it powers my comp, my LCD, my projector, my blu ray player and (my soon to be) AMP.
Invest once and be rest assured that if something fails, your first line of defence should be your UPS and not the equipment connected to it. I have been using this for over an year with abs no issues.

Regards
Murali

I have a APC SURT2000VA UPS for my epsontw2000.
This is a pure sine wave online generator with 10 minutes back up. it cost me 38K. Maybe an overkill, but it powers my comp, my LCD, my projector, my blu ray player and (my soon to be) AMP.
Invest once and be rest assured that if something fails, your first line of defence should be your UPS and not the equipment connected to it. I have been using this for over an year with abs no issues.

Regards
Murali

2 KVA !! that pretty over safe :D
But i should say that you have invested well for all your a/v equipment.

I use a 1KVA APC UPS for my projector. It lasts for a long time.
Make sure you do not connect your AVR or other digital audio equipment to the UPS. The ProFx guys claim that a lot of Denon AVRs are damaged that way. My Denon 2809 came with a big red sticker on the top of the box warning that the warranty would be void if used with an inverter/UPS!

Thanks,
Sharad

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back