SVS Subwoofer Group Buy: In Need of Serious SVS Subwoofer Buyer

Consider xtz Cinema sub 1.
Similar price. And it can be used as both sealed and ported.

Closing the port on the ported subwoofer won't really make it as a sealed subwoofer.
The enclosure design/size for ported and sealed are different.
If the requirement is a sealed sub, go for one (do not buy ported/slotted and close the port/slot)
Closing the port/slot on ported/slotted sub mainly changes the roll off at the lower frequencies which may help to adjust with room gain.
Closing port won't give the punch of a sealed subwoofer at lower mid frequencies.

Guys this is a SVS group by thread. I guess discussing other brands and types of subs is irrelevant and derailing this thread.

What's the current group by count? Has any one in Bangalore spoken to htstore for a group by deal?

MaSh

Passive Radiators(PR) can’t be considered as better technology compared to ported or sealed. Its not a new technology as well.
Passive Radiator subwoofers got some disadvantages as well.
Its maximum low frequency (-3dB) is higher compared to ported design
Difficulty in tuning passive radiator designs as they have much higher mass than an equivalent port
It is possible that when the powered subwoofer cone stops, the passive radiator's cone continues to move for a short period of time and may cause the powered driver cone itself to move after the signal has stopped. This so called "ping-pong" effect can cause distortion.

If passive radiators are superior, why some brands are making PR as well as ported subs.

I also wants to point out that port noise / distortion etc. not observed on subwoofers like SVS.

Well, that's the beauty of it. Fine tuning both drivers to move in opposite directions is the beauty of the technology. Below lower tuning frequencies it becomes incredible when both drivers are out of phase. Companies make PR subwoofer because they're are able to give that hefty output of the ported in a small cube design. This benefits people because of the small foot print design which gives them the flexibility to hide in living room and at the same time delivering the punch one would anticipate.

I own airmotiv S10 in my 21x21 hall (442 sq feet) and I have never felt surprised like this after listening to it. One single subwoofer fills my room with premium bass and punches.

Ported subwoofers requires large cabinets and tend to give you more output than you actually need in music which is where sealed or PR models are preferred. When you get it to play a complicated bass track at higher levels you ll get the port noise. (Of course who wants to do that).

The definitive technology super sub X series. Two 8 inch active drivers coupled with over 9 inch diaphragm on either sides putting out 1200 watts output. People always talk about how low svs can go in frequencies but am saying we cannot hear something beyond than what the soundtrack composers in movies intended us to listen. There's isn't any movies recorded completely in 20hz and we barely hear in our ears! My point is Svs may have gotten the design right but not the price in my opinion (its true even in US). People who couldnt afford svs are happy customer of BIC for half the price.

Well, that's the beauty of it. Fine tuning both drivers to move in opposite directions is the beauty of the technology. Below lower tuning frequencies it becomes incredible when both drivers are out of phase. Companies make PR subwoofer because they're are able to give that hefty output of the ported in a small cube design. This benefits people because of the small foot print design which gives them the flexibility to hide in living room and at the same time delivering the punch one would anticipate.

I own airmotiv S10 in my 21x21 hall (442 sq feet) and I have never felt surprised like this after listening to it. One single subwoofer fills my room with premium bass and punches.

Ported subwoofers requires large cabinets and tend to give you more output than you actually need in music which is where sealed or PR models are preferred. When you get it to play a complicated bass track at higher levels you ll get the port noise. (Of course who wants to do that).

The definitive technology super sub X series. Two 8 inch active drivers coupled with over 9 inch diaphragm on either sides putting out 1200 watts output. People always talk about how low svs can go in frequencies but am saying we cannot hear something beyond than what the soundtrack composers in movies intended us to listen. There's isn't any movies recorded completely in 20hz and we barely hear in our ears! My point is Svs may have gotten the design right but not the price in my opinion (its true even in US). People who couldnt afford svs are happy customer of BIC for half the price.

Hi Shankara,

Where did u buy Emotiva sub? And price plz.

Hi Shankara,

Where did u buy Emotiva sub? And price plz.

Hi Sridhar, 52k, Diwali time. Total home theaters Mumbai. Please audition it where possible before thinking to purchase. I wanted to get emotiva bas X s12 but since I heard it's discontinued I had to look at other choices with 50k budget. I chose emotiva again cos they are pioneers in making solid amps. I even compared forcefield 3 and 4 but couldn't get myself convinced over emotiva.

Guys this is a SVS group by thread. I guess discussing other brands and types of subs is irrelevant and derailing this thread.

What's the current group by count? Has any one in Bangalore spoken to htstore for a group by deal?

MaSh

Please check with Total home theater I remember seeing MRP 60k in website as opposed to htstore 67k. You guys may get good discount. You can quote my name for reference.

Shankara

Guys like mash said, can u please not clutter the thread with your opinions of other subs. It’s not relevant here. Start up different threads for your reviews, prices etc but it’s a request to not clutter the thread with information not pertaining to the original thread. There are plenty of what subwoofer to buy in various threads on the forum. Please stick to the topic here.

Hi Sridhar, 52k, Diwali time. Total home theaters Mumbai. Please audition it where possible before thinking to purchase. I wanted to get emotiva bas X s12 but since I heard it's discontinued I had to look at other choices with 50k budget. I chose emotiva again cos they are pioneers in making solid amps. I even compared forcefield 3 and 4 but couldn't get myself convinced over emotiva.
Thank you.

Hello All,

I am planning to buy a SVS PB 1000 and I got the quote of 55k in Bangalore. I am in for a group buy. Please Let me know

Thanks

which emotiva did you get? I have ordered the TA300

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back