SVS Subwoofer Group Buy: In Need of Serious SVS Subwoofer Buyer

Yes you can choose BIC America PL200 or F12 also Mission MS-450 15 inch subwoofer it is a monster.
Now BIC America PL200 is also not worth the current price. Even they have increased their price to 49k MRP whereas it's $300 in US. More than twice the amount.
SVS now seems like VFM

A slight jump in the dollar rate has given them the liberty of charging any amount. Bic america mrp jump from 40 to 49 is baseless given that rupee is stabilising now.

A slight jump in the dollar rate has given them the liberty of charging any amount. Bic america mrp jump from 40 to 49 is baseless given that rupee is stabilising now.
Right. People were flocking to BIC due to low price. Now the demand is such that they have increased their price. Its ridiculous.
Dont we have any other good sub brand which are sensibly priced?

I met a dealer who is a huge fan of polk audio dsw 660. He said offlate hes been liking this sub alot.
Polk 550 and 660 replaced by the HTS series. The production is stopped long back. He's trying to sell u an old piece obviously by sweet talk.

Have you heard the SVS side by side with these Subs? Can you give more details on the differences of each, maybe in another thread? Would be good info of members.

MaSh

I didn't mean to compare these subs with svs and i have never auditioned any of these before other than emotiva airmotiv which i bought recently after months of study and without any reviews! I was just trying to broaden people's perspective on the variety of choices they have rather than hanging onto the ones that's been there for years. Any one wants to hear suggestion on upgrade / advise we give them a line of models that we are aware of based on the reviews we heard and at time out of personal experiences. Technology is rapidly changing in electronics world and as such we should explore and make informative decisions in our purchases and this requires lot of patience, study and inquiries. My point is spending way too much to buy just conventional ported sub may not always seems right when we have so many alternatives (just my opinion). There are so many good subs one can get below or for the price of svs pb1000 and one should look at pros and cons before influencing their decision to buy. Ported subs can ease with high output at low volumes but gets caught up with port noise / distortion over a certain decibels at certain frequencies. On the other hand sealed subs generally play smoother bass responses but requires twice as much power as the ported sub to achieve that level of output but subs with passive radiator / diaphragms have the advantages of both ported and sealed models with more power and less distortion. The drivers benefit each other well below the tuning frequency where both drivers move in opposite directions and this causes more waves in circulation and thereby increasing the output of bass much better and smoother.

Passive Radiators(PR) can’t be considered as better technology compared to ported or sealed. Its not a new technology as well.
Passive Radiator subwoofers got some disadvantages as well.
Its maximum low frequency (-3dB) is higher compared to ported design
Difficulty in tuning passive radiator designs as they have much higher mass than an equivalent port
It is possible that when the powered subwoofer cone stops, the passive radiator's cone continues to move for a short period of time and may cause the powered driver cone itself to move after the signal has stopped. This so called "ping-pong" effect can cause distortion.

If passive radiators are superior, why some brands are making PR as well as ported subs.

I also wants to point out that port noise / distortion etc. not observed on subwoofers like SVS.

Wow ! Lucky to have found this thread.. I am at Cochin and I was contemplating on going to a shop named HDZone in a few hours to take the SVS PB-2000 back home for Rs. 109,000. Guess I have to invest some more time to research the competitors as well. I felt there was nothing beyond SVS in subwoofers, atleast in this price range providing bang for the buck. Of course knowing that we are paying twice for what the US citizens get it for !

Wow ! Lucky to have found this thread.. I am at Cochin and I was contemplating on going to a shop named HDZone in a few hours to take the SVS PB-2000 back home for Rs. 109,000. Guess I have to invest some more time to research the competitors as well. I felt there was nothing beyond SVS in subwoofers, atleast in this price range providing bang for the buck. Of course knowing that we are paying twice for what the US citizens get it for !
109k for that .. :O
For that price you can get something far better.

Passive Radiators(PR) can’t be considered as better technology compared to ported or sealed. Its not a new technology as well.
Passive Radiator subwoofers got some disadvantages as well.
Its maximum low frequency (-3dB) is higher compared to ported design
Difficulty in tuning passive radiator designs as they have much higher mass than an equivalent port
It is possible that when the powered subwoofer cone stops, the passive radiator's cone continues to move for a short period of time and may cause the powered driver cone itself to move after the signal has stopped. This so called "ping-pong" effect can cause distortion.

If passive radiators are superior, why some brands are making PR as well as ported subs.

I also wants to point out that port noise / distortion etc. not observed on subwoofers like SVS.
Well said about passive radiators.

I didn't mean to compare these subs with svs and i have never auditioned any of these before other than emotiva airmotiv which i bought recently after months of study and without any reviews! I was just trying to broaden people's perspective on the variety of choices they have rather than hanging onto the ones that's been there for years. Any one wants to hear suggestion on upgrade / advise we give them a line of models that we are aware of based on the reviews we heard and at time out of personal experiences. Technology is rapidly changing in electronics world and as such we should explore and make informative decisions in our purchases and this requires lot of patience, study and inquiries. My point is spending way too much to buy just conventional ported sub may not always seems right when we have so many alternatives (just my opinion). There are so many good subs one can get below or for the price of svs pb1000 and one should look at pros and cons before influencing their decision to buy. Ported subs can ease with high output at low volumes but gets caught up with port noise / distortion over a certain decibels at certain frequencies. On the other hand sealed subs generally play smoother bass responses but requires twice as much power as the ported sub to achieve that level of output but subs with passive radiator / diaphragms have the advantages of both ported and sealed models with more power and less distortion. The drivers benefit each other well below the tuning frequency where both drivers move in opposite directions and this causes more waves in circulation and thereby increasing the output of bass much better and smoother.
Hi,
Where did you buy Emotiva airmotive S10 sub and price? How is the performance?

Elac S10 vs Emotiva airmotive S10?

PB2000 MRP is 107000, typically dealers offers around 10% discount.

If you are not getting that rate from Kerala, you can contact THC (The Home Cinema - Rupesh - 8296500666)

If you have not auditioned other brands, please do that. Try to take your selected bass heavy movie Bluray/UDH discs with you so that you can compare.

If your room size is small and planning to use for music as well, you can consider SB2000 (MRP 93000)

Now a days we can audition SVS subwoofers and many other brands in India. That was not the case around 10 years back.

I too agree that some of the products are costing more in India. I believe importers are trying to encash the popularity or demand for the product.
Oppo UDP-203 costs 549USD in USA and India price is 109990.

Consider xtz Cinema sub 1.
Similar price. And it can be used as both sealed and ported.

There are certain subwoofer consider at par with that of SVS subwoofer within similar price bracket or less like Rythmik lv12r, XTZ Sub 12.17, Sunfire SDS12. Purchaser needs to explore more options before buy. Recently I have auditioned Velodyne WI-Q12 subwoofer and the performance was Very good, better than mass market subs... Have not audition SVS subs so can't comment.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back