Tata Sky vs Big Tv

nitinbose

Hi,

I am trying to compare Tata Sky and Big TV. Everything looks identical between the two, except for the costing, where Tata charges 3999/-, which includes the Decoder, one year subscription, installation charges. As for the channel packages, the only part missing are the sports channels.

however, when I visited big tv site, I noticed they are offering for Rs 2190/-, which includes the decoder, installation and one year subscription including sports channel.

Please advice me if there is a catch here.

Thanks,

Nitin.

well i dont know about TS but big tv STB remains the property of big tv.as for as the quality big tv gives slightly better colors via its component out,and one of my friend who has a TS shifted to big tv once he saw the quality in my lcd which was connected to big tv.
but big tv stb still hangs its menu system is not good,there is a annoying BIG tv symbol in every channels ,and the channels info and program info takes the entire bottom of the screen which is annoying especialy when watching news channels since u can miss the caption going down,the channels change is sluggish compared to say airtel digital tv which use the same software that tata sky uses.

Hi,

I am trying to compare Tata Sky and Big TV. Everything looks identical between the two, except for the costing, where Tata charges 3999/-, which includes the Decoder, one year subscription, installation charges. As for the channel packages, the only part missing are the sports channels.

however, when I visited big tv site, I noticed they are offering for Rs 2190/-, which includes the decoder, installation and one year subscription including sports channel.

Please advice me if there is a catch here.

Thanks,

Nitin.

Nitin in bangalore Tatasky is currently offering connection for 1499 only, u pay for whatever package u want and get it running,

Big tv also have come out with special offer of 1499 in which they are offering 3 months lite pack free that has few good channels,

I have been using both Dish Tv and Tata sky for over 2 years, currently Big tv is having challenges with Stb quality, customer care issues and other teething problems.

My advice would be to go for Tatasky for now to avoid the same.

With time Big tv will improve, then u can think about switching, for now Tata sky seems to be the best option ...

Hi, this may be slightly off topic, but never the less worth mentioning. Big TV is from the Reliance adag(anil dhirubhai ambani group), which is known for shoddy customer support service in any field they enter, from Reliance money to reliance internet and everything in between. They are one of the worst customer support ppl. So b carefull bout adag. Regards.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the advices. I purchased Tata Sky. There is a Diwali offer for 4k where you get the Decoder + installation + one year subscribtion inclusive.

Quality seems okay.

I would like to know how are the commercials, are they any less than conventional TV? How about the movie channels, do the content differ? I've noticed that in other countries that provide Star TV, the contents are of better quality (better movies) with far less commercials.

I am more inclined towards Big TV especially from when I have learnt that it supports Component Video. Component Video really makes a world of difference in terms of PQ when compared to standard RCA cables and with my impending purchase of Panasonic PV8 or a Sony 40" LCD I think Big TV will better serve my purpose.

I am more inclined towards Big TV especially from when I have learnt that it supports Component Video. Component Video really makes a world of difference in terms of PQ when compared to standard RCA cables and with my impending purchase of Panasonic PV8 or a Sony 40" LCD I think Big TV will better serve my purpose.

well i have a big tv connected via component with a Rs 2k component cables,and the only difference b/w the composite and component are that the colors are more vibrant in the component,and if there was any extra details they are hard to notice,but the symbols like HBO are a tad sharper.

well i have a big tv connected via component with a Rs 2k component cables,and the only difference b/w the composite and component are that the colors are more vibrant in the component,and if there was any extra details they are hard to notice,but the symbols like HBO are a tad sharper.

Thanks adder for the info. I will carry my component cable along and test it out on Big TV before making the final decision. If there is no real improvement in PQ, Tata Sky is what I will settle on since that's what I had decided on from the beginning, but had held back to check reviews on Airtel and Big TV.

Thanks adder for the info. I will carry my component cable along and test it out on Big TV before making the final decision. If there is no real improvement in PQ, Tata Sky is what I will settle on since that's what I had decided on from the beginning, but had held back to check reviews on Airtel and Big TV.

airtel and tata sky use the same software in their stb and to date i havent seen their stb hanging,but big tv stb hangs pretty much every time u switch it on,compared to airtel digital tv which i also use,the big tv image quality is slighly better ,less pixelation.but in case ur parnets or old people use i would go for a airtel digital tv since the universal remote works like a charm,since it has learning mode i.e pointing the source remote to airtel remote and u can make it to learn,not like other so called universal remote where it has some preprogrammed codes.in my house my parents use airtel digital tv while i use a big tv,its so annoying to use two differnent remote one for my tv and other for big tv.if u are a person who watch F1 or moto gp u cant see the placings since the big tv symbol pretty much blocks the view,also when u change to news channels the big tv channel and programme infor takes the entire botton of the screen,which takes minimum of 3 seconds to go away ,inuff time for u to miss some captions or some stock info.

airtel and tata sky use the same software in their stb and to date i havent seen their stb hanging,but big tv stb hangs pretty much every time u switch it on,compared to airtel digital tv which i also use,the big tv image quality is slighly better ,less pixelation.but in case ur parnets or old people use i would go for a airtel digital tv since the universal remote works like a charm,since it has learning mode i.e pointing the source remote to airtel remote and u can make it to learn,not like other so called universal remote where it has some preprogrammed codes.in my house my parents use airtel digital tv while i use a big tv,its so annoying to use two differnent remote one for my tv and other for big tv.if u are a person who watch F1 or moto gp u cant see the placings since the big tv symbol pretty much blocks the view,also when u change to news channels the big tv channel and programme infor takes the entire botton of the screen,which takes minimum of 3 seconds to go away ,inuff time for u to miss some captions or some stock info.

adder,

Thanks a ton for the thumbs up on Airtel. The only reason I was holding back on Airtel was that the packages were not offering the channels I wanted or were available in a separate package which was doubling the cost. I will finalize on Airtel or Tata Sky.

Hi Moserw. I'd suggest you ask the tata and airtel guys if they are planning to launch an stb with component video out and/or s-video. I am not sure but maybe ts plus may have that facility. I think you've made a wise decision.

Cheers.

Hi Moserw. I'd suggest you ask the tata and airtel guys if they are planning to launch an stb with component video out and/or s-video. I am not sure but maybe ts plus may have that facility. I think you've made a wise decision.

Cheers.

TS+ does have a component out but spending 8k is not worth it considering reliance iptv stb which is hd capable and has a HDMI and a 80gb HDD for DVR and costs 2k cheaper at 6k.

Hi,

If you're an existing TS subscriber, then you have the option of migrating to TS+ for Rs: 4999/-, in exchange for your existing decoder.

However, I would still consider a while and see if they launch true HD channels and decoders. I do not see any HD broadcasts in any of the satellites. I feel that the so called HD may actually be the normal channels upscaled to HD.

Nitin.

Hi,

If you're an existing TS subscriber, then you have the option of migrating to TS+ for Rs: 4999/-, in exchange for your existing decoder.

However, I would still consider a while and see if they launch true HD channels and decoders. I do not see any HD broadcasts in any of the satellites. I feel that the so called HD may actually be the normal channels upscaled to HD.

Nitin.

The offer of 4999 is also available for existing subscribers, who want to add another STB.

I was one of the earliest subscribers to BIG TV. There is essentially no difference between them n Tata Sky with respect to quality unless you plug-in the component outputs from the BIG TV STB.

However from personal experience I assure you that the post sales service of BIG TV is a big zero. As long as you do not have any problems with the transmission or the STB's you are safe.

Thanks Nitin.
I had received a call from TSky CC who had told me about what I had said earlier.
I guess the CC rep was trying to fool me like the credit card guys.

The T&C mentions something else and is the only thing that should be believed as the offer is applicable only on purchase with Credit card using their call center.

I personally attach a premium for 'experience' - and customer service is a very important part of the entire ownership experience. After reading and speaking to a lot of people, I found everyone was of the uniform opinion that Tata Sky had the best customer service amongst all the DTH players in the country (.. just the opposite of Tata Indicom !!) 'Cheap' and 'Good' don't always go together!

So its Done! I just booked the 3999/- Festive Offer package with Tata Sky. Apart from set top box and installation one gets the South Jumbo Pack for a year. They are also giving the Lifestyle Gold and the Education Gold add-ons free for 4 months for booking through their call centre and paying by credit card.

Back