Technics Turntable Owners Club

My modest set-up comprises of Technics SL-Q33 (black). It rubs a Shure M44-7 on my medium sized vinyl collection of about 300-350 records and sings through Pioneer SX-434 integrated receiver which is, in my opinion, one of the best looking receivers in its class. Some pictures for you guys on HFV who have helped me in setting up my rig and helped during the restoration of my Technics.
Here is the link to the restoration thread: http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/45178-restoration-my-technics-sl-q33.html

The room:
DSC00936.jpg

The Floor Standers - Also used as speakers for projector set-up
image.jpg

The Turntable with the Amp:
DSC02941.jpg

DSC02943.jpg

DSC02951.jpg

I am also a humble owner of the Technics original SL 1200 mark 1 just like Shafic and a recently modified Technics SP--25 with a heavy multi layered plinth directly coupled to the plinth as suggested by some of the most respected persons in the vinyl modification business . The tone arm for the SP 25 is AT 1503 with Denon DL 110 cartridge. The direct coupling has transformed the player into a true audiophile Turntable and one of my favorites

Last edited:

Attachments

• DSC_0444.jpg
    DSC_0444.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC_0445.jpg
    DSC_0445.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC_0449.jpg
    DSC_0449.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
My fav TECHNICS SL 1100A playing 'MUGHAL-E-AZAM' LPs. Amplifier is Sansui AU 777.

regds,
shafic

Shafic,
Since you did not show the SL 1100 in the earlier post, I was wondering what happened to it. I am sure you won't make the same mistake I did by selling it

Sir,

Even I have made such mistakes that I regret (in case of some speakers & amps), but I am very attached to this 1100 as I have worked very hard to restore it from the pitiful condition that I found it in. Plus I enjoy its music too much to give it away.I have to still work on it. As you had once suggested I intend to change the capacitors.

Thanks & regds,
shafic

My Technics 1210-Mk 2 with Audio-Technica AT92E cd Cartridge and stylus, amplified by
Sansui AU 607 and speaker combo AR- MST and Wharfedale CD-70

Attachments

• 20150105_154313.jpg
    20150105_154313.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Great Technics masterpieces. A much awaited thread at last. But sadly I have to wait for 3 more months before becoming a true contributor to this thread(I mean picture and all), if it's active till then. Expecting some more breath-taking photographs of these Japanese beauties. Still missing some other Technics owners.

Regards,
Bhaskar

Hi guys,

As promised, I am going to review the two latest upgrades to my Technics SL-1210. First I would like to share the pic of my turntable. Here it is:

image5.jpg

As you can see, the most basic upgrade which I have done is to make a mat out of 2mm cork sheet. This is a very easy and cheap upgrade which will help improve the sound. I have compared the sound between this and a felt mat and there is a noticeable difference. There is absolutely no need to buy cork mats online costing $20 upwards. An entire sheet comes for about $5 and one can make at least 4 mats out of it.

Now coming to the latest upgrades, first is the michell engineering record clamp as seen below:

image2.jpg

I am sure most of you have seen it or already using it. This is also a very cheap upgrade costing $45 max and it is very efficient in reducing the damage to the stylus caused by warps and it also helps in creating a better contact between the stylus and the groove. I would definitely recommend this especially for Technics TT as it is very lightweight and will not damage the platter. Other record weights/clamps are heavier. Also, a washer is supplied with the clamp which is supposed to be more effective but my experience is not very good as it has an opposite effect and makes the record float in the air and therefore increasing the stylus movement.

The last upgrade for now is the most recommended. This is the replacement of the stock feet with Vibrapods. This is a very discreet upgrade but the difference in sound is astonishing. For starters, I used to listen with volume between 9 and 10 and now I do not go beyond 9. Apart from the loudness, there is also a much clearer instrument separation and a definite increase in the bass. They come in 5 models as per the weight they can carry. I am using a Model 3 as seen below:

image3.jpg

As you can see, it is simply a rubber base made of high quality vinyl which is very flexible and 4 of these are enough to take the weight of the Technics. But one can always use more for added dampening. There is also an option to make a sandwich using an 1/2" MDF board between the turntable and the vibrapods. This is supposedly better and I will try it out at a later stage.

image.jpg

Another advantage is that you can use them with the dome side up or down. I chose using them with the dome downwards because with the dome up, I could not level the turntable. It is also advised to use some felt or coaster below the vibrapods to safeguard the surface below. Here is how I have placed them:

image1.jpg

I hope the above post will help some of you out there who have the itch to upgrade but do not know if it is worth it or not. I can assure you these upgrades which cost less than $100 in total are totally value for money and should be done before any major upgrades like tonearm re-wiring or rca cable replacement which involves opening the turntable and soldering as well.

RD

Hi All,

Proud to be part of this club with a Technics SL D2 player... Today is Day 1 of my vinyl journey. Thanks to kind support from FM shafic sir and hifipal sir. Looking forward to learn and enjoy the vinyl music.

Attachments

• IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 230
As you can see, it is simply a rubber base made of high quality vinyl which is very flexible and 4 of these are enough to take the weight of the Technics. But one can always use more for added dampening. There is also an option to make a sandwich using an 1/2" MDF board between the turntable and the vibrapods. This is supposedly better and I will try it out at a later stage.

Another advantage is that you can use them with the dome side up or down. I chose using them with the dome downwards because with the dome up, I could not level the turntable. It is also advised to use some felt or coaster below the vibrapods to safeguard the surface below. Here is how I have placed them:

RD

Thanks for the info on the vibrapods. Have a question about them. Say I use a Model 5 vibrapod (whose recommended weight is 11 kg per pod). What if I keep a lighter turntable (which say, exerts 2 kg pressure per pod) on it? Will that create problems?

Thanks for the info on the vibrapods. Have a question about them. Say I use a Model 5 vibrapod (whose recommended weight is 11 kg per pod). What if I keep a lighter turntable (which say, exerts 2 kg pressure per pod) on it? Will that create problems?

Okay I found out the answer. Here's a quote from a review on vibrapods website:

"The Vibrapods come in four sizes: Number 1 can support up to 4 pounds, with an ideal load of 2.625 pounds (this is per pod), and targeted for components up to 32 pounds. Number 2 supports 4 to 8 pounds each, is tuned to an optimal load of 6, and works with equipment that weighs 24 to 72 pounds. Number 3 supports 8 to 12 pounds each, is tuned to 10, and works with power amps and speakers over 60 pounds. Number 4 supports 22 to 28 pounds, is tuned to 25, and bench presses stuff over 150 pounds. They all cost the same -- $6 each. Don't plan on using them in your second system out in the garage, as they only function properly between 50 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

How do you know which ones to get, and how many? Let's use my Wadia 23 CD player as an example. It weighs 16 pounds. The Number 1 isolators like to have 2.625 pounds loading on them. I divided 16 by 2.625 and came up with 6.09, which is conveniently close to 6, so I used six of the Number 1 Pods under the player, putting three along the front edge and three along the back, in a symmetrical arrangement. Of course, I also unscrewed and removed the four machined cones that came with the Wadia. The Vibrapods only end up with a height of 1/2-inch or less."

I've heard them all, and owned some of them (301, 401, L70, L75, LP12, TD124, SP15, SP25, SL1200, etc. Destiny got me to sell the ones I owned. I was very not happy with getting rid of them but after coming onsite, I discovered that what I was looking for all these years, is something that I already have.

I recently visited a friend's place and was awestruck by the sound produced by his simple but modified Technics SL-D2 turntable. He had it sunk into an oak wood plinth which was like a tray at the top and solid at the bottom. Was with an ordinary Shure M91ED card and it sounded like what I was after. The original looked something like this (he wouldn't let me photograph it saying it was some patented design :) )

Did some looking around online and found a SL1200 in a similar type of plinth, but the one I saw the SL-D2 in was much bigger.

newplin2.jpg

Personally I believe that my old SL3200 sounded better than anything I've heard and so someday, I am going to replicate this plinth design on it. Here's a pic of my stock SL3200, in use back home:

v4h1.jpg

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back