Technics Turntable Owners Club

Mod Update:

A couple of weeks ago I had dampened the 1200 arm. I was facing a difficulty on getting a single cut of heat shrink onto the arm as around the curves there were frills. So instead I used multiple pieces to get this on. Had a chat with Om and he gave me a suggestion which I implement shortly.

Impressions: Definitely a sonic increase. The dampening has definitely improved the overall output. Did a comparo with the stock arm and with same cart and phono and the results were clearly noticeable.

Cheers

Hi All,

My name is Ajith Raman and I live in Trivandrum in Kerala now.

I am quite new to this forum.

Well,I own a Technics SL-D3 machine for the past 7 years and of late the auto mechanism is malfunctioning.

Looks like the plastic wheel that controls the mechanism has been worn out due to ageing ..Can anybody help me fix this issue??

Somebody I can talk to for a spare part etc??

I have already contacted Mr Kuruvilla Jacob in Kottayam.

Look forward to have your suggestions.

Many thanks.

Best,

-Ajith.

Regret to inform you that I quit this club today. Just sold my Sl1210 locally for 250 pounds.
It was gathering dust because of the lack of auto return.
plus i have been asked to return to india at short notice, and my luggage is already full, and 14Kg for one TT is a bit too much.

My Technics TT is my first TT. SL 1500. Bought it from FM Mr. Kuruvila. I changed the RCA cables to Bandridge SVL 3302.

Cart: Audio-Technica CN5625AL
Just yesterday my friend came back from the US. He got me a Nagaoka MP-110H. Can't wait to listen to that! :licklips:

Will post pics later. Am not at home these days.

Hi.. Did You changed Nagaoka MP-110? How the sound?

Regret to inform you that I quit this club today. Just sold my Sl1210 locally for 250 pounds.
plus i have been asked to return to india at short notice, and my luggage is already full, and 14Kg for one TT is a bit too much.

That's sad. Where will you be landing in India?

Once you experience a Technics DD (whatever model), its hard not to return :)

Agree with Reuben here. Difficult for one not to come back to a Technics DD. Having auditioned and worked on many turntables, the Technics DD TTs stand out and are my personal favorites. My champ the SL-1200MK2 :).

Now it is my turn to join this proud club. Yes I got a nice SL-Q3 last week from Chennai in mint condition. The player was kept inside a box almost 20 years by the previous owner. Weekend passed with this player on cleaning, inspection etc.. etc.

Every function working perfectly... and sound is simply amazing. This is the first Technics player which hooked with my setup and now feeling something I missed in past.

Came with broken Shure M70B cartridge and using Classic 700 for the moment. Planning to upgrade the cartridge.

Amazing find there Selvin. The machine is literally mint. This turntable has the potential to see you through years to come. I love Technics DD turntables due to their fuss-free ownership experience. It just works and is brilliant at it.

Congrats again!
Saket

Last edited:
Congrats Selvin!!! Looks like brand new. How much you paid for it?

I paid 14k. I don't know is it good or bad for this player. I liked the condition of the player immediate after saw and its owner (He is a nice gentleman and an Ex Production Manager of one of the famous TV company in 80s). Just paid and not even negotiated. He also given me two imported magnetic Head for cassette decks as free to my use.

Welcome to the Technics Club :).

Now, what a find I must say. The TT looks in absolute mint condition. Any listening impressions yet?

Also, agree with Saket that these Technics Direct Drives are completely hassle free and will go a long long way.

Also, I suggest a basic round of lubing and cleaning of the TT.

Cheers

The highs could have been slightly better though you cannot get better for $100.

It's possible that your HF issue could be as simple as loading of the cartridge. Too much capacitance and HF will roll off early as will low impedance of the preamp.

Note that some people do not use the standard 47 K ohm impedance . They find other suitable values, for example 62 K ohm ! Capacitance could be lowered too. If your phono stage can't do that an expert DIY guy might be able to do it for you ( if the DIY guy is really good !). Do check out the sound via good headphones ( + headphone amp ) to be SURE that your problem is really the output of the phono stage !

What a stunning piece, congratulations!!

The Shure M70B is a gem. It does not have a reputation like some other heavy weights from the Shure stable. However it sounds very warm and listenable. Lovely tracking too. Mine even sounded better since I've upgraded to a Jico (not even SAS but ordinary) stylus.

Now it is my turn to join this proud club. Yes I got a nice SL-Q3 last week from Chennai in mint condition. The player was kept inside a box almost 20 years by the previous owner. Weekend passed with this player on cleaning, inspection etc.. etc.

Every function working perfectly... and sound is simply amazing. This is the first Technics player which hooked with my setup and now feeling something I missed in past.

Came with broken Shure M70B cartridge and using Classic 700 for the moment. Planning to upgrade the cartridge.

Will post pics later. Am not at home these days.

Here is my Technics turntable. My first turntable :) SL 1500. This was re-furbished and re-serviced by Mr. Kuruvila Jacob.

156s588.jpg

2cmqfe8.jpg

Hi.. Did You changed Nagaoka MP-110? How the sound?

I still haven't met my friend yet. Both of us have been quite busy :( Will meet him next time i come home and then I'll change the cart. Will let you know then. However I've already listened to the mp-110 on my setup. It sounded really spectacular. The first thing that made my jaw drop was the separation. Everything became so clear it was marvelous. The punch in the bass was another big step-up. I guess that's what happens when one switches from an entry level cart to a 'decent' one ;)

The platter looks quite rusted/corroded. Try the tooth paste method of cleaning the platter. It does wonders. Lots of videos on YouTube.

+1 to RP. And if toothpaste does not give expected result, use fresh lime juice with fine scotch brite for initial cleaning and then polish it off with cotton cloth dipped in hot water. Be careful not to damage the motor magnet under the platter. Try not to put too much pressure, take your time and do it slowly. Multiple runs give better result.

@ PS: BTW can you please give details of refurbishment done by Mr. Kuruvila.

Regards,
Bhaskar

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back