thoroughly confused :hdav card vs radeon 5xxx series?

Well its just not the speed that counts, but the latency as well, and I am sure RAMs like these must be having a horrible latency, which brings the performance back to avg....even if the speed is higher than the other RAMs with better latency. I could not find any benchmark for Kingmax RAM to get a fair comparision .................. But Anyway what ever suits you best ... :)

The Kingmax has the following latency.

CAS Latency: 7-7-7, CL=7

In addition, it's voltage can be taken to 1.9 volts even on a 1136 motherboard for some serious overclocking. The RAM sells like hot cake here. If it creates an issue for me, I will just replace it with some other RAM. It has a lifetime warranty as well as an assurance from the dealer that he will give a full refund.

Cheers

Venkat - what will you play your ripped music with, if you are not planning to use this pc for music playback?

Also - seems it is very hot there. You can ignore my request for looking around the local market. :cool:

I am setting up a separate machine for that with a Asus 775 motherboard and a Core2Duo processor. That will have a Asus sound card installed.

I have looking around for the headphones, and a few places I enquired, they looked at me as if I am from Mars. I will keep looking till I leave.

Cheers

Dont know if the original question in the thread title got resolved.

Right now the best option there is, as far as video cards which can also pass sound via HDMI to the receiver are concerned, is the NVidia GTX 460. There is the 768 MB version which is about the same price as the Radeon 5770 and the 1 GB version which is around the $200 mark.

Well, nvidia still looks little behind to ATI.ATI are less power hungry too with full HD-audio support(7.1)

I'd say/recommend ATI over nvidia anyday (specially for high end cards) ..... better performance for the money, with less power consumption and Heat ....

I'd say/recommend ATI over nvidia anyday (specially for high end cards) ..... better performance for the money, with less power consumption and Heat ....

+1 for that.. I am using my 5850 in full swing for Blu-ray movies and HD rips.
However Nvidia has added the hardware capability for HD Audio in their new 460 card.

Well, nvidia still looks little behind to ATI.ATI are less power hungry too with full HD-audio support(7.1)

Well, that is exactly what has changed with the GTX 460. Be it thermals or power consumption or outright muscle, the GTX 460 has it covered.

And yes, with HD Audio support too.

Sam9 - check out some reviews and comparisons between the GTX 460 and the ATI variants at or around its price point.

Guys are these cards can give unprocessed audio stream through HDMI? I wanna get unprocessed audio stream from PC for Onkyo 807 so it can do all the audio prospering on its own.

I have hooked this AVR to PC via Creative X-FI xtreme gamer optical out and I assume I'm getting processed audio stream using that approach cause I'm getting all the features and controls available from my sound card's own controller program as earlier without AVR and I'm very use to with sound generated by this ages old card and I'm not getting any significant improvement by hooking up Onkyo 807 AVR. The sound is very similar what I was getting without this AVR.

So am I feeding the AVR processed signal I'm not sure and I have to hook up AVR to PC some other way to get most out of my equipment please suggest.

I'm using Windows XP SP3.

Guys are these cards can give unprocessed audio stream through HDMI? I wanna get unprocessed audio stream from PC for Onkyo 807 so it can do all the audio prospering on its own.

I have hooked this AVR to PC via Creative X-FI xtreme gamer optical out and I assume I'm getting processed audio stream using that approach cause I'm getting all the features and controls available from my sound card's own controller program as earlier without AVR and I'm very use to with sound generated by this ages old card and I'm not getting any significant improvement by hooking up Onkyo 807 AVR. The sound is very similar what I was getting without this AVR.

So am I feeding the AVR processed signal I'm not sure and I have to hook up AVR to PC some other way to get most out of my equipment please suggest.

Yes they can.

Yes they can. If you want to use Graphics card only for HT purpose then you can opt for entry level/mid level Graphics cards.

nvidia cards are costly & HD5550 is around $90.

That is a shockingly generic statement, spiro!

You take the GTX 460 and compare it with the Radeon 5850 and a couple of others in the same price range. Then see how it goes. The HD5550 cards are no match at all.

And as I mentioned, even in the thermals and power consumption we have a new leader with the NVidia card.

I had created a new thread for my query - http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...ty-42-plasma-thru-blu-ray-writer-my-htpc.html

Asking the same here as well....

I have recently built my HTPC -
AMD Phenom 925 Quad Core
MOBO - Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB 3
GPU - ATI Radeon 4290, HDMI 1080p
Sound - 7.1 channel onboard out + HDMI
RAM - 4GB
LG WH10LS30 Blu-Ray Rewriter (Sata)
Samsung DVD Writer (old IDE)
Panasonic 42" Plasma C10D connected by HDMI
Truewave 5.1
Standalone Philips DVD player 3856

I can play all HD quality mp4, mkv, etc video files without any issues. I can play BDs on the LG BD writer flawlessly and in superb 1080p quality.

But when I try to play any original DVD in my LG blu-ray drive or the Samsung DVD writer, the picture quality is not that good. Rather its bad! Sound quality is no issue. I tried PowerDVD 10, ArcSoft TT, KM PLayer, MediaPortal, MPC HC, VLC....same result.

Pls guide me for achieving the descent quality for watching my huge DVD collection on my HTPC. The DVD PQ is superb when I am playing it on my standalone Philips DVD HDMI player which does the upscaling automatically.

Thanks in advance.
Jitendra

Last edited:
new ATI CP with Drivers launched,the look is totally different-

Desktop & display-

Video options-

Gaming options-

I need to check the performance.Try yourself & let us know...

Update-
Edge enhansement works better than before.

new Display driver is far better & video Quality with MPCHC is too good(CAT 11.2)-

Last edited:
Back