Tidal in india?

Hi, I ordered mine from Tempotec official store on AliExpress. I will add link below.

Rs. 3,369.92 3%OFF | TempoTec SONATA HD PRO TYPE C TO 3.5MM DSD256 For Android&iPhone Headphone Amplifier Adapter DAC
Thanks, did you order this recently? Also, what was the delivery time and was there any import duty charged on it?

I've been reluctant to order from AliExpress because delivery has become a lot more difficult....

if you go for the family plan, can you add profiles like how we do in Netflix? I love the My Mix feature Tidal has.
Don't want to hear other genre music which the other users from the family plan might listen to.

Thanks.

if you go for the family plan, can you add profiles like how we do in Netflix? I love the My Mix feature Tidal has.
Don't want to hear other genre music which the other users from the family plan might listen to.

Thanks.
yeah, I have the same question.

Finally got off Tidal. There‘s a significant loss in dynamics off late that I couldn’t adjust with. For now Apple Music does the job when I need to explore, but that too is shifting over to new age apps like Bandcamp. Most listening is on some lovely internet radio stations (better dynamics despite even 96 Kbps resolution in some cases) and my CDs now.

I too feel the same. Continuing since tidal Turkey is so cheap and we can sample new albums. Listen to CDs mainly which is more involving.

Thanks, did you order this recently? Also, what was the delivery time and was there any import duty charged on it?

I've been reluctant to order from AliExpress because delivery has become a lot more difficult....
Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is available from an Indian website www.hifinage.com. The link is below. Might work out cheaper than AliExpress.

Finally got off Tidal. There‘s a significant loss in dynamics off late that I couldn’t adjust with. For now Apple Music does the job when I need to explore, but that too is shifting over to new age apps like Bandcamp. Most listening is on some lovely internet radio stations (better dynamics despite even 96 Kbps resolution in some cases) and my CDs now.
hmmn, how do you compare Apple Music to Tidal? this is interesting..

hmmn, how do you compare Apple Music to Tidal? this is interesting..
Let me attempt answering based on my experience:
1. The resolution of Tidal (FLAC) no doubt gives more detail and texture than Apple/Spotify/YouTube at 320 or 256 kbps. But you notice them only when you listen back to back or it’s a song that you know inside out.
2. Tidal has been suffering with loss in dynamics and the tracks therefore lose on ‘aliveness’. This is not a function of resolution, but either due to the masters that are used or probably some filter/algorithm Tidal uses. The sound therefore comes through with excessive soft/flat (or like a fellow FM expressed it, feels like been run over by a road-roller). Between the other options. I find YouTube music has extra brightness and Spotify has slight smearing while Apple SQ is most palatable to me at least through my system.
3. Tidal’s features/UI is ok but not as evolved as Apple Music’s (for example lyrics) and its suggestions based on tracking your listening habits are poor. If ever one decides to use Tidal and values these aspects, I’d strongly recommend spending on Roon. But that adds to the cost, our next point.
4. While Tidal Turkey is attractively priced for FLAC resolutions, the above points still make it less VFM to me than Apple (Rs 999 per annum). Especially when I use streaming only to explore music ans not for attentive/intensive/critical listening which I do with my CD collection.
5. Apple Music has a seamless integration with Shazam (as they own it). So when I listen to internet radio and like a track, I can just Shazam it and press one button to get the album/artist on Apple Music to explore more of them. In Tidal, I’d need to type the artist/track name in the search box - a non-value adding step.

Having said all this, if Tidal can improve their SQ (to me, dynamics and emotionality are far more important than detail/resolution), I’d still go back. On the other hand, I also wonder if Apple would launch a FLAC (ALAC) service at say Rs 250 pm to get best of both worlds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tidal Connect is here:
What can it do for you? Read about it all in the thread started by @Vivek Batra here:

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is available from an Indian website www.hifinage.com. The link is below. Might work out cheaper than AliExpress.

Does this dac unfold MQA natively? Or have to use to third party app like usb music player pro?

No, It doesn't unfold MQA. Only USB DAC that can do that is Zorloo Ztella.
The Audioquest Dragonfly series of USB Dac's also unfolds MQA fully, if I am not mistaken.

@mr_grump5 checkout the website mqa.co.uk

It has a comprehensive list of all devices which unfolds MQA. They also respond to email queries fairly promptly. I emailed them about MQA rendering capability of Activo CT 10 and got a response from them, before I bought the Activo CT 10 DAP.

In the budget section, EarMen's Donald could be a pretty good one with support for MQA. It lacks phones o/p though in case you prefer that badly!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back