Vinyl I am listening to...

Listening to the Fantasia. Wonderful sounding album.
View attachment 82118
Fantasia's soundtrack recording and release was a pioneering effort given the options available in 1938. Walt Disney himself apparently set out with the goal of getting the audience to feel as they were standing on the podium with Stokowski and conducting the orchestra. What followed were some stunning landmarks in sound recording and reproduction methods, at the Philadelphia Academy of Music. Not known to many, the original 1957 Walt Disney Music Co. Release 3-LP set is very collectable (issued to commemorate the 1956 re-issue of the movie with a stereophonic soundtrack). Finding a set in good condition is difficult as a lot of these were played at home for children back in those times, on less than desirable equipment :)

A lot of information is available online about the trouble Disney took to record this soundtrack, including on the wikipedia page for the movie.

It’s the festive season and out comes the Christmas Classics we have been hearing since childhood. This includes Jim Reeves, Burl Ives, Roger Whittaker and many others. Regardless of what we listen, let us all enjoy the Season with music we like.
Since from the times I can remember things around me, Christmas music used to play through the day at home (in the early days there was Radio Ceylon, circa 1974-79/80) and when I got my own rig, mostly on CD, Tape and from the mid-2000s on LP. Jim Reeves 12 songs of Christmas was the constant, together with Andy Williams, Carpenters, Elvis, Humperdinck, Tom Jones, Neil Diamond, Burl Ives, Tammy Wynette, Nat King Cole, etc etc. My father was into instrumental and big-orchestra music as well and hence we had a lot of instrumental Christmas albums with organs, wind instruments, pianos, etc (one example being Liberace's Christmas album). This year, starting from the Thanksgiving week, Christmas music has been playing all day long, thanks to Christmas FM, Christmas FM Classics and Christmas FM Classical (all over the air FM broadcasts from Ireland) on Tunein.com. I also went through my entire collection of 52 holiday albums. Its the best time of the year for us at home :) (belated Merry Christmas to all, and all the very best for the New Year 2024).

Fantasia's soundtrack recording and release was a pioneering effort given the options available in 1938. Walt Disney himself apparently set out with the goal of getting the audience to feel as they were standing on the podium with Stokowski and conducting the orchestra. What followed were some stunning landmarks in sound recording and reproduction methods, at the Philadelphia Academy of Music. Not known to many, the original 1957 Walt Disney Music Co. Release 3-LP set is very collectable (issued to commemorate the 1956 re-issue of the movie with a stereophonic soundtrack). Finding a set in good condition is difficult as a lot of these were played at home for children back in those times, on less than desirable equipment :)

A lot of information is available online about the trouble Disney took to record this soundtrack, including on the wikipedia page for the movie.
Fortunately i inherited a pristine condition 1964 re-issue when this actually became popular only on reissue for some reason.

The Fantasia soundtrack is a LP absolutely all record collecting audiophiles have in their collections. Especially those who crave for the real-life concert experience. As per my knowledge, the 1961 version was reissued in stereo by Buena Vista Records while the original 1957 Disney release edition was in mono. It's a great piece to own. Congrats!

A very happy New Year to all friends. May you have joy and enjoy good health. Started the Year with some 78’s played on my HMV 130. It does sound best on these totally mechanical machines.

Good Afternoon Mr. Shafic. Reference ur post above. Unfortunately I am not that digitally capable to send photos, in fact I just don’t know how to do it as yet. However will try to learn and send photos soon. My very small collection of records are old and well used from my ceramic days, scratches and noise notwithstanding, I still spin them enjoyably and get pleasure out of them. For 78 rpm I have a Garrard 2025 and RC120(1960) also a few wind up Gramaphone ie. HMV 102, 130, a 13 leaf brass horn HMV with Model 32 movement and a 113 Transportable(! Very Heavy) which is currently under repair. The problem with these machines are that the springs have graphite grease which solidifies and is very difficult to remove and clean. Mechanics, hardly any left now, are loathe to open the spring container and often put oil from top!!! Anyhow, on the photos, I can always WA you if I get your number, thanks.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back