Want to buy a 42" plasma/lcd..urgent!

I think the existing Panasonic plasma user can comment on this.
What is their observation after using it after 200 hours of usage?

I think the existing Panasonic plasma user can comment on this.
What is their observation after using it after 200 hours of usage?
This whole issue has been blown way over proportion. I have experience with several plasmas, including last years models and in my opinion this is almost a non issue. If one were to actually research the history and facts of this issue, you will realize that is an issue that is related to the longevity of the TVs ability to retain 'black levels'. Bottom line is, too me it is a non issue and I have yet to see the negative results caused by this issue.

PS: Personally I would stay away from the Panasonic 'S' series. The 'S' series is Full HD in name only and is applicable for still pictures only, it's actual resolution with moving pictures is less than 1920x1080.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response. The picture will become clearer once other plasma user start sharing their experiences.

Nope,i am not aware of the reason.
What is it as panasonic plasmas are rated very high world over.

I also have no clue about this reason.
Am considering a 42" Panasonic Plasma so please tell me why Panasonic Plasmas are not good...

Yes, Panasonic Plasmas have got incredibly high reviews so far. But those reviews are now being edited by most. It received fantastic reviews because of it's unparalleled black levels. Unfortunately, those black levels last only for about a year/200 hours (approx). After that, they become lighter, and lighter, and lighter ....... so much that it becomes apparent to even a blind man. There were complaints from all over the world by customers regarding this issue. Even CNET admitted that the black levels of their Panasonic Plasmas have become significantly much lighter over the last 1 year. Ultimately even Panasonic admitted it and stated that there is nothing that can be done about it. I've heard that after 1 year of use, even an entry level LCD beats it hands down in terms of black levels.

What good it is to get a Plasma which loses it's unique charm after a year, and most importantly when it was that particular charm which got it such highly rated reviews. Panasonic was even sued over the black level issue -

Panasonic Sued Over Plasma Black Level Issue

That is dampening!
Then which plasma?
I was seriously thinking S10 as its full HD. Damn.

I've already recommended you, go for Samsung 50C550 Plasma. It's fantastic, and officially priced at Rs. 85K, but you will get it at around Rs. 77-80K in the stores.

50 inches is too big for my room.
so i can accomadate till 42 inches only.
I saw the B450 hd ready and was impressed. However the sound quality wasn't too good. Anyone using the same set?
I so wanna buy a Full Hd. This pana thing is screwing my plans big time.

Had almost finalized a 42C10 for 33K about 2 months ago.

Got to read about the black level issue, so pressed the brake. Since finding it difficult to make myself cough up the extra moolah for Samsung or LG 42s, think it is better to wait a bit more. No need to hurry. The LEDs should definitely bring down Plasma costs in the immediate future, and maybe, the black issues too should get sorted out by then.

.......... whats the flaming hurry? Vive la CRT till then .....

Well my skepticsm has put it on hold.
Waiting to check new series from samsung.

Does anyone knows if panasonic is launching their new series soon?
I really use to like LG PQ70 plasma, however LG is considered after panny and samsung.

Well my skepticsm has put it on hold.
Waiting to check new series from samsung.

Does anyone knows if panasonic is launching their new series soon?
I really use to like LG PQ70 plasma, however LG is considered after panny and samsung.

Go for Samsung LCD, if you want Full HD at 40 inches (42 ain't an option, either 40 or 46). The previous B series in all probability be replaced by the new C series. Here are the three finest LCD's that you can get (their predecessors C550 and C650 received excellent ratings). Simply said, they are magnificent -

Samsung 40C550 (LCD)- MRP 65,900 (Dealer price - 61,000)

Samsung 40C630 (LCD)- MRP 73,900 (Dealer price - 68,000)

Samsung 40C650 (LCD)- MRP 77,900 (Dealer price - 62,000)

P.S. Please note that Samsung has the C550 series in both LCDs and Plasmas. I'm referring to the LCDs above.

50 inches is too big for my room.
so i can accomadate till 42 inches only.
I saw the B450 hd ready and was impressed. However the sound quality wasn't too good. Anyone using the same set?
I so wanna buy a Full Hd. This pana thing is screwing my plans big time.
There is no such thing as TV too big, ie. unless you actually don't have the physical space in the room. Which I am sure is quite unlikely. No matter what size you buy now, in a few weeks it will feel smaller.

There is no such thing as TV too big, ie. unless you actually don't have the physical space in the room. Which I am sure is quite unlikely. No matter what size you buy now, in a few weeks it will feel smaller.

If the content played is HD, then the TV size does not matter. But if it's SD, then it matters big time. Watching SD content on a 50" Plasma or LCD from a near distance would be ridiculous.

My viewing distance is 6-8 feet.
So i feel 42 inches will be fine and above it will not look good.

Will buy a plasma only as LCD's doesn't looks too good to me.
How is Panny X10- Anyone bought it here?
Also what is the price for samsung C450 plasma in 42 inches?
Considering out of these 2 seriously.

Yes, Panasonic Plasmas have got incredibly high reviews so far. But those reviews are now being edited by most. It received fantastic reviews because of it's unparalleled black levels. Unfortunately, those black levels last only for about a year/200 hours (approx). After that, they become lighter, and lighter, and lighter ....... so much that it becomes apparent to even a blind man. There were complaints from all over the world by customers regarding this issue. Even CNET admitted that the black levels of their Panasonic Plasmas have become significantly much lighter over the last 1 year. Ultimately even Panasonic admitted it and stated that there is nothing that can be done about it. I've heard that after 1 year of use, even an entry level LCD beats it hands down in terms of black levels.

/QUOTE]

I went through the CNET report n detail. Looks like the complaints are for the G, P and V series models. It seems that the C series is not affected by this issue. Any comments from users who are using the C series. I am planning to buy the C10 model but would like to be doubly sure.

mj

I watch regular SD TV on a 55" Television and watch Blu-ray/DVD movies on a 108" screen(16:9), both from a distance of approximately 10-11 feet. I quite regularly find myself wishing, both were bigger. Thus I am planning on hopefully getting atleast the soon to be introduced 58" Samsung Plasma and also a larger 120" screen for movies.

I REPEAT, There is no such thing as a TV that is too big

How is Panny X10- Anyone bought it here?
Also what is the price for samsung C450 plasma in 42 inches?
The Panasonic X10 is a good choice and you should be able to get for approx Rs 37,000 - 39,000/- Don't know abotu the Samsung.

Last edited:
That's awesome... Panasonic C10 is available for Rs.31,900 in Blr
If nyone in Delhi knows where to get a Panasonic C10 at this price please let me know...
Regards
Am in Delhi at the moment, so Delhiites please help......

Shredder I got price quote of Rs 33800 for C10 at Sadar cantt . I mite buy it very soon . Do you want to tag along so that we can bargain further together . Other members invited to join . Lemme know at [email protected]

I watch regular SD TV on a 55" Television and watch Blu-ray/DVD movies on a 108" screen(16:9), both from a distance of approximately 10-11 feet. I quite regularly find myself wishing, both were bigger. Thus I am planning on hopefully getting atleast the soon to be introduced 58" Samsung Plasma and also a larger 120" screen for movies.

I REPEAT, There is no such thing as a TV that is too big

I would recommend the buyer not to entirely go by the above. Atleast once, demo the set from the distance you would place it at your home and then decide.

For instance, Sanjay seems fairly unaffected by watching a 108" screen from 10-11 feet which Iam failrly confident I cannot watch. Here you have atleast one example on the either side of the argument and you dont know which side you fit in. Hence demo properly.

I still say, for 50" + SD combo, you need >10 feet. (For me it is 12 feet). For 42" I need atleast 10 feet. And yes, HD can be viewed from a much closer distance.

I am very sure for my distance 42 is good enough.
Waiting for C450 to come in the market here.
Anyone knows if samsung showrooms in NCR have got it by now?
Otherwise my mind is half made for X10.
Just that black level issue on Avforum is scaring me :(

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back