Want to buy a 42" plasma/lcd..urgent!

Thanks.
In that case i will prefer C450 itself.

Now only if i can get a good deal for it in NCR.
Anyone with some help please :)

@bala_v99 - what is ur usage ???

If its regular tv - SD, with some DVD/BD/ Gaming....plasma is better. If its only DVD / BD..LCD it is. Also, if u r looking at 42" and ++ sizes..then plasma is more VFM.

Remember...Plasmas have a huge edge over LCDs in SD and motion pics :yahoo:

I am in the process of buying an LCD / Plasma and just cannot make up my mind over 42X10. I went to one Panasonic showroom and checked the picture quality of Tata Sky SD signal on X10. Have to admit the picture quality was quite awful. This has almost made me steer away from the Plasmas. Is it possible that there could be some problem at dealer's end for the quality to be so bad. Could you and someone advise about the quality available on 42X10 for Tata Sky SD signal. My viewing distance would be 10-12 feet.

Write now I have a philips 29 CRT and the Tata Sky pq is just totally awesome. The colors and the sharpness at present is almost unbeatable. That's why I am so woried about the picture quality if I get the X10.

I am in the process of buying an LCD / Plasma and just cannot make up my mind over 42X10. I went to one Panasonic showroom and checked the picture quality of Tata Sky SD signal on X10. Have to admit the picture quality was quite awful. This has almost made me steer away from the Plasmas. Is it possible that there could be some problem at dealer's end for the quality to be so bad. Could you and someone advise about the quality available on 42X10 for Tata Sky SD signal. My viewing distance would be 10-12 feet.

Write now I have a philips 29 CRT and the Tata Sky pq is just totally awesome. The colors and the sharpness at present is almost unbeatable. That's why I am so woried about the picture quality if I get the X10.
First of all, the Philips 29" CRT TV that you have right now, is better than almost all LCDs/Plasmas, ie. for standard definition 4:3 programming. Thus it is not fair to judge the Panasonic 42X10 by this comparison. Secondly, comparing a 29" 4:3 TV with a 42" (substantially larger) 16:9 TV, using standard definition 4:3 programming and that too from an Indian DTH source, is definately not a fair comparison. Even then, I assure you that you will not be dissapointed with the Panasonic 42X10 specially when you feed it HD programming.

PS: Do not judge the Plasma from what you saw in an over brightly lit showroom and that too with god knows what settings.

^^ I agree with this. I am very surprised that they had put SD source for demo which is very rare. Generally they would have some HD video running for LCDs and Plasmas.
I too wanted to be buy a flat panel TV and did eventually. While the SD quality is inferior or at best at par with the CRT, HD is awesome and you would not regret it if your viewing consists of some HD sources.

I am very surprised that they had put SD source for demo which is very rare. Generally they would have some HD video running for LCDs and Plasmas.
Actually it is not all that surprising. I have been to many TV showrooms that have the LCDs hooked up to the HD Video generator, but the plasmas are displayed in one corner with SD DTH. Most TV showrooms attempt to push LCDs over PLasmas and in the process try to show the plasmas in the worst light possible.

Am highly confused between plasma Sammy C450 and Panasonic A20.

C450- 43k

A20- 45k.

C450 has a usb and A20 doesnt but then Panasonic gives 3 year warranty and Sammy 1.

Help,what to do!

Also X20- 43k.
Difference between X20 and A20- A20 has 2 extra speakers and one extra hdmi.
Worth it?

First of all, the Philips 29" CRT TV that you have right now, is better than almost all LCDs/Plasmas, ie. for standard definition 4:3 programming. Thus it is not fair to judge the Panasonic 42X10 by this comparison. Secondly, comparing a 29" 4:3 TV with a 42" (substantially larger) 16:9 TV, using standard definition 4:3 programming and that too from an Indian DTH source, is definately not a fair comparison. Even then, I assure you that you will not be dissapointed with the Panasonic 42X10 specially when you feed it HD programming.

PS: Do not judge the Plasma from what you saw in an over brightly lit showroom and that too with god knows what settings.

Well the point is that I very much understand how good an HD signal would look like on the 42X10. It should be excellent. The showroom people are almost always playing a Blueray disc on a Plasma/Lcd tv so a normal customer would not be able to know the real picture quality on an SD signal. The fact is that I would be watching only SD on my TV for a while. I own four connections of Tata Sky and dont really intend to buy an HD capable Tata sky box right now. Anyways not sure if everybody is aware about this part but Tata sky as of now is only giving 2 channels on HD ie. National Geographic and Discovery. Also that only a few of the programs would be available in the near future on the full HD signals ( even on other channels to be launched in HD ). I believe this goes for Tata / Airtel / Reliance and other service providers. So it almost appears that it would be a mistake to buy a Plasma / Lcd at this time and use it for watching an SD signal. As I said earlier also that my 29inch Philips CRT(almost 15 years old) has got an amazing picture quality for an SD signal which I guess would be unmatchable on a present day plasma/lcd.
This is making me go :mad:

Yeah, you are dead right.

For the itsy bitsy HD transmission by the providers, it does not make much sense, as SD is best viewed on a good CRT. Me thinks, I would drop the Plasmas for at least another year or so.

Going by the clock, I hardly spend 10% of my viewing time with the DVD Player ..... rest is what the 'cablewalla' provides. Maybe, after this wait-period we could end up getting most transmissions on HD ... then, it would make sense.

So, vive la my 29" LG ..... decision made.

C450- 43k

A20- 45k.

C450 has a usb and A20 doesnt but then Panasonic gives 3 year warranty and Sammy 1.

Help,what to do!

Also X20- 43k.
Worth it?

I would love to go for the sammy for the simple reason of USB playback. I have checked this feature myself in the shop and tell you man this tv supports all the formats i.e avi / mkv / mp4 and what not ? You should not be worrying about the warranty part. Just look out which one has better picture quality. As for me - plus one to Samsung for usb.

But what exactly is the difference between the X10 / X20 / A20 Plasmas ? I searched the site but could not find much of a difference.

Thanks.
SO buying sammy will also save me from the additional burden of buying a HDTV media player. Makes sense.
I couldn not check the usb in sammy so was curious if it could play all formats.

I have mentioned the difference in the above post itself.

The fact is that I would be watching only SD on my TV for a while. I own four connections of Tata Sky and dont really intend to buy an HD capable Tata sky box right now......

So it almost appears that it would be a mistake to buy a Plasma / Lcd at this time and use it for watching an SD signal. As I said earlier also that my 29inch Philips CRT(almost 15 years old) has got an amazing picture quality for an SD signal which I guess would be unmatchable on a present day plasma/lcd.
If you intend to only watch SD material and are happy with your 29" CRT, then my advice dear friend is to stick to it and save up for a bigger and better HD TV later when you are ready for HD content.

C450- 43k

A20- 45k.

Help,what to do!

Also X20- 43k.
Worth it?
My advice, is to go in for the Panasonic A20. The extra HDMI input will definately be of use down the line and the Panasonic is a much better buy than the Samsung C450. Also, the extra speakers on the A20 are definately worth it, considering that almost all LCD/Plasmas could do with some help with the audio.

Thanks.
SO buying sammy will also save me from the additional burden of buying a HDTV media player. Makes sense.
I couldn not check the usb in sammy so was curious if it could play all formats.
Even so, I would still strongly recommend the Panasonic over the Samsung. Any Blu-ray player you might buy in the future will take care of playing all the media formats.

Last edited:
As much as i want to go for A20 i am apprehensive of the panasonic black level issues going on. Need urgent suggestions what to do?
A20 or Sammy c450.

I will be buying on 28 july so suggest fast pleassse..

Harry ............. would sincerely suggest not to be induced into buying the plasma in this big a hurry. Lots of issues are being reported and discussed in different threads, which need SOLUTIONS.

Stick with the CRT for at least another year. Hopefully, by then, most issues would have been addressed.

You don't want to be tied down to a white elephant, do you? .... just in case you are unfortunate .......

Update-
Went to croma to buy samsung c450.
5 days back they gave me a price of 44k and now its 47.
Wasn't budging from it that samsung has instructed them not to sell below this price.
Disaapointed came back to check with other stores.

Update-
Wasn't budging from it that samsung has instructed them not to sell below this price.

This is getting interesting. People you need to listen to this. I have been researching for an LCD / Plasma for that last month or so. Let me tell you that I am mostly aware of all the lowest possible prices which one can get for a Samsung 40-42 inch model available.
I went to a few showrooms in Delhi Central Market today. Almost all of the big dealers were not budging from their prices for Samsung lcd's and were quoting pretty much high prices. In fact When I visited Vijay Sales one salesperson told me this very interesting story. He said that in the last week or so Samsung's prices have been kind of like fixed out by the retailers and no proper authorised dealer would offer big discounts. He even pointed me out that same thing happens with the Sony products and Samsung has gone the Sony way. I have to agree to this part as I have almost everytime seen that Sony products do not have a major discount going on. By this I mean that their is not much difference between the MRP and actual price of a Sony product. The sales guy from Vijay Sales told me Samsung was heading the Sony way. I asked him the reason for this and his reply was that because of this discount offing practice the name of the company and big retailers was getting tarnished. All this has come as a bit of surprise to me. It seems that SAMSUNG is now wanting to take this to the next level and wants to mark itself as a real PREMIER brand in India just like Sony. Samsung anyways is the market leader in India with regard to the flat panel tv's and possibly now wants to create a premium image for itself in the masses. Lets see how much of this is true and how all this unfolds.

Update-

Harry,
Guess we are in the same boat. I have to suggest you one thing. PLEASE....dont buy from Croma. One simple reason for this :- Croma always overcharges. I have seen a zillion times that all products available at croma are way overpriced compared to smaller retailers in the market. Now coming to the point.
In my earlier posts I heavily criticized the Panasonic plasma 42X10 for its picture quality. Have to admit I was wrong. Today I went and saw the tv again at one shop and must say I was very impressed. The picture quality was actually VERY GOOD on the Tata Sky SD signal and EXCELLENT on HD signal. And at the price I am getting the tv this seems like a very good buy.

I have quote of Rs 34000 without the Exchange and a final 32000 in exchange for an old 29 CRT. The lowest quote I have for the NEW 42X20 is 38000 under exchange. I am extremely confused right now. Till date I was only wanting to get an LCD but after watching the Pana X10 today my views have changed. I had decided to spend as much as 65000 a LCD. Now I feel this would be a waste. Today I realised one thing. There is no point spending extra 10-20K for a full hd tv. The Hd ready picture quality on Pana X10 was as good as any full hd picture I have seen on a 1080p lcd. At least to the naked eye I am sure nobody can make a difference between a Full hd and Hd ready.

One thing is that I am really wanting to get the Samsung due to its USB playback feature (especially that it can play all movie formats). Harry till now I have not actually checked out the Sammy c450 at a store but according to my estimates it should be available for around 39000-40000 under exchange. Can you tell me how did you find the picture quality on Samsung Plasma 42c450 as I have not seen the tv myself till now. To make matters worse the lowest quote I have for the 40c530 Lcd is 46000 which is making me go nuts.

Harry can you tell me why have you finally decided to buy the 42c450. I am not saying it is a bad thing but just want to know what you think of the picture quality and other features of the TV.

Cannot decide which one to finally go for. The shortlist reads as below :-
Prices under exchange for my 29 CRT valued at Rs 2000.
Panasonic 42X10 - Rs 32000 ( Plasma )
Panasonic 42X20 - Rs 38000 ( Plasma )
Samsung 40c530 - Rs 46000 ( Lcd )
Samsung 40c550 - Rs 50000 ( Lcd )
Samsung 40c650 - Rs 58500 ( Lcd )
Samsung 42c450 - Rs 40000 ( Plasma )
Harry if you have not bought the tv till now maybe we could team up to buy together and push the price even further. I could speak to you or vice versa as we both are in NCR. Let me know. Anyone else wants to team up is most welcome.

i am myself confused between Pana X20 and EX400 Lcd as between HD Ready Plasma and full HD Lcd with Sony going for around 45k in grey mkt and Pana for 40k with bill as wasn,t able to find it in grey mkt

Last edited:
Mehul i wish i could get the same price here.

@Wings- I had compared C10,X10,X20,A20,C450,LgPj560.

Was not impressed by C10,X10-ruled out.
X20- ok
A20-good.
PJ560- SD was not at all impressive and i played many sports and movie channels. HD was ok.
C450- Impressive SD and very good HD
my call was between A20 and C450. Just didnt go panasonic way cos of their floating black issues. I don't want to bang my head against the set if anything like this happens.

Also checked c450 for buzzing. could not find any buzzing at all.
Also am interested in croma cos its near to my home so any issues i can blast them anytime.

Update- The noida dealer again gave me a quotation for 43k. So lets see if i can get it from there.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back