Want to buy a 42" plasma/lcd..urgent!

@bala_v99 - what is ur usage ???

If its regular tv - SD, with some DVD/BD/ Gaming....plasma is better. If its only DVD / BD..LCD it is. Also, if u r looking at 42" and ++ sizes..then plasma is more VFM.

Remember...Plasmas have a huge edge over LCDs in SD

Not true.compare a FHD lcd and a FHD plasma,not a HD ready plasma.

@adder....guess I should have been a bit more clear..sorry.

Reference the Pana V20 (FHD) with any FHD LCD - U will see the advantage of SD in the Pana. Compare FHD also in both...and I think Pana PQ is better....again..its my opinion..cud be different for others...only caveat is that the V20 is @ 70k approx :sad:. The 600 hz sub field drive in plasmas makes moving objects much clearer than LCDs..so sports etc are far better in plasma..even on a HD ready model....and hence the edge.

Also, bala_v99 mentioned a 12ft viewing distance...hence didnt talk about the FHD.

Thanks infinity and adder for your help.
Infinity, my major viewing is SD. 75% SD, 10% DVD, 15% others (including gaming and internet if possible)

may be I might take the SUN HD. Soon all the players would move to HD transmission.

Thanks

With the primary viewing being sd and your viewing distance is 12 so you can easily go for hd ready and save some good money.

@bala_v99 : 12 feet is a good viewing distance and judging by you initial plan for 40/46 LCDs....you can look at a 50" HD Ready Plasma. Here are the advantages :

1. You will get a 50" screen.
2. With an advantage of 12 feet viewing distance...u can still go for a HD ready one.
3. Hence save on $$ :yahoo:..maybe for HT setup etc...(a penny saved is a penny earned)
4. Recently launched Sammy C450, LG and Pana models give you a good choice to mull over...check other threads and you will get a good idea.

Point to note = Is your wall to wall distance 12 feet ?....if so, then there are 2 points to note =

1. Your sofa actually takes out half to a feet away depending on type of sofa veiwing posture, position of sofa, etc.
2. In case your TV is not wall mounted, then need to check the the distance lost from the wall...it usually is approx half a feet to 1 feet.

IF..the above holds good in your case...then my suggestion for 50" may need to be carefully thought as this brings down your viewing distance to 10/11 feet..coz I feel 12" is a minimum requirement for a 50"...then again it purely my opinion.

may be I might take the SUN HD. Soon all the players would move to HD transmission.

You may want to look at Tata Sky...as they also have launched HD services today...at a very good price :clapping:

Guys - Presently using Tatasky and would like to buy the Tatasky HD box soon. I have a 3 year old Panasonic 29 inch which i might exchange for a new tv.

I am looking at 42 inch plasma. Other than good PQ, I would like to have bluetooth enabled model with which i can listen to audio quietly in the night without waking up the family. Is there any with that feature ?

Finally date has been set as 15 july to get the plasma.
Now SAmsung C450 was my initial choice.

Guys any other model in 42 inches as well?
Budget- 40-50k.

@Harry10...I am also considering Pana C10 and X20.
C10 is available for around 33/34k and X20 @ 41/42k..both with a 3yr warranty.

Harry great choice. C450 is indeed very nice.

Infinity... Pana is worth buying only if u go for the V series. Sammy C450 is much better than these two models.

Agree with You mate..
C450 is better than both of them as per my observation.

Also how many Hdmi cables i need to buy and kindly mention some low cost and also where can i get it fm in Noida,delhi ?

Hey Harry congrats for the choice.
But don't you think with HD transmission in India up and say may be in year or two most of the channels moving (Movie channels and expat channels) to HD don't you miss full HD?That why I came and stuck with c530,c550,c650:(

I have only viewing distance of 8 feet and hence the above advise might not apply to me !

Last edited:
pseudophile
Harry great choice. C450 is indeed very nice.

Infinity... Pana is worth buying only if u go for the V series. Sammy C450 is much better than these two models.

harry10
Agree with You mate..
C450 is better than both of them as per my observation.

Can you please share the comparison (by features and demo) you made between these 3 models. Would like to understand the benefits of the Sammy C450 over the C10 / X20.
Frankly, after B450, I was hoping for more enhancements in the C450...which didnt happen.
Similarly, X20 improvements over X10 / C10 were not all that great.....however the 3yr warranty is a huge advantage over the Sammy.
Considering all these models to be around the 40k mark...looks like companies are not too keen in revamping them much as there is a good market for them already.

Last edited:
I just liked the PQ and sound better in samsung.

Sammy has a 2 yr warranty right?

And is the Black level issue resolved n X20?

Is buying HDMI cables from ebay advised as i can see a few low cost ones there.
Also what must be the ideal length of cable and how many are required?

@harry10

ALL Samsung TVs carry a 1 Yr warranty : Policy & Warranty SAMSUNG

Havent got any concrete info of Black level Issue being removed in X20 and other 2010 models....however, on the flipside haven seen issues been reported in any discussions / forums / blogs / reviews either.

HDMI cables come in MANY MANY brands...
Cardinal Rule : A good quality HDMI cable will make a difference in audio/video quality... :eek:hyeah: I can assure you personally after having made the mistake of picking up cheap ones before. If you are demanding about the quality of audio / video, its better to spend a lil extra and get the good stuff once and for all....after all ...we dont buy them every day....but use them daily...so its worth it in the long run. :eek:hyeah:

Has anyone checked the 24p playback capabilities of the Sammy C450 ? Panny website clearly states this as a feature for the X20 but Sammy website doesn not have this info.

Thanks.
Kindly enlighten me bit more about 24P playback and how to check it so i will do it asap.

Also how can i know if the hdmi cable is good or not.

Suggest me any good names because buying a hdmi from saumsung or Panasonic for more than 1500 doesnt makes any sense but if its neccessary i will do it.
Also do i need to buy more than 1 cable?

Edit- Am headed to croma in few hours and let me see what options and schemes they got and will update then.

Is PJ350 or PJ650 better thn C450??

One differnce I knw is ... C450 can play any format via USB... where as PJ series can only play AVI format...

Back