What speakers for Denon 1713

zteg

Hello fellow members, This zteg from Bangalore
I bumped into this forum when I was researching for speakers for a Denon 1713 AVR which I got from a friend who is going on a long term assignment. Amazed by the vast knowledge on AV in this forum.

Now I may be one of those rare breeds who has an AVR and no speakers. I had no plans for a HT. Now that I got an AVR I am considering a HT when I move into my new apartment within a year. So I have 1 year for all the research and audition. 2 weeks of research has given me a basic idea, but there is still lot to know before I get the right speakers.

There is no point considering a HTIB since I have a receiver and also my brother has got a HTIB. I am open to speaker packages and also separates.
Asked my wife what the budget for HT should be and she replied 15k:sad: Somehow i convinced her for a budget of 35k after I promised her that she will love the sound and it will be something she never heard before. I am OK buying just the front and centre now and buy the sub and surround later as and when finances permit.

My living room is a typical apartment living room. 12X12 of living room space clubbed with 12X14 dining hall. There is no partition between the living room and dining hall. Can post a picture if required.

I will using this for 80% movies and 20% music. Me and wifey watch a lot of movies.

Another question: I am a laptop gamer and planning to get a Playstation sometime. Playstation can play BR discs. How different is the quality when compared to dedicated Blue ray player.

I guess my requirements are clear. Hoping to get a lot of suggestions from the members. I like to have a lot of options since I have time to audition them all.

Thanks,
zteg

There are 2 options :
1. Go for separates : 2 bookshelves + 1 Centre channel + 2 rear channel. Like Polk speaker package. The cost will be higher. Look here > http://www.profx.com/polk-audio.asp
2. Go for a full 5.1 speaker package: Like Wharfedale MS 100 HCP , Tannoy HTS 101 , Energy Classic Micro RC, Polk Blackstone TL1600, Jamo HCS 426, Boston Acoustics Soundware XS, Wharfedale DX -1. Most of them are within 35 - 40k. I think for 12X12 of living room this option is very well suited.
I have done review of some of these speakers > http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/35407-denon-1513-wharfedale-ms-100-speaker.html

You can search the forum for additional review. But you need to start demo to feel which sound you speaker. May I suggest, take your wife for audition also, she will be impressed with these speakers.

hi,
i am having wharfdale 9.2 diamond .if interested mail me . i am from bangalore.also using ps3 with lg led .its must for every gamer ,movie enthusistics and music lover

Consider Sonodyne Avant range of speakers....Flagship model from Sonodyne & a brilliant performance....You can look @ Avant 150 BS (20K for a pair) + Avant LCR 250 (15K)...Later you can add surrounds & sub-woofer when your budget permits...

Also consider Sonodyne Sonus range of speakers... Sonus 1501 BS (10K) + Sonus C 2401 (6K) + Sonus Dipole speakers (12K)..You can look @ Roarr range of subwoofers from Sonodyne 15- 20K (or) from Astonia Subwoofer which is around 15K i suppose...

All these prices are approx...You may check Hifimart for exact prices (or) walk in to a listening room for a demo in your city...

Go for all Polk speaker combo . I am sure you will love it .

One of the FM Tanmayj just has completed his set up and seems to be fully satisfied .

I am going to be the next to have the similar setup

hi,
i am having wharfdale 9.2 diamond .if interested mail me . i am from bangalore.also using ps3 with lg led .its must for every gamer ,movie enthusistics and music lover

Can the playstation perform similar to a dedicated blue ray player?

There are 2 options :
1. Go for separates :
2. Go for a full 5.1 speaker package: > http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/35407-denon-1513-wharfedale-ms-100-speaker.html

You can search the forum for additional review. But you need to start demo to feel which sound you speaker. May I suggest, take your wife for audition also, she will be impressed with these speakers.

This is what i am confused about. Since I am not an AV guy, I may be sold for denon 1312XP also because I have no idea of quality sound and what exactly I should be looking for.
I have added all that you have recommended to my notes. Somehow missed your thread. Will read it now. Do you think she will let me go alone for the audition?:D

hi,

Read some good reviews about diamond 9.2. Also saw a theater package on hifimart for Wharfdale diamond 10.1 with denon1713 for 99k. Minus AVR should be around 70k which is again double my budget. Just wanted to know if the speaker package is a good combo with 1713. Also is the speaker package good enough to buy piece by piece?

I have Denon 1713 with Wharfedale DX-1..you can read reviews and my hunt for good Home theatre here..http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/35606-my-final-decision-denon-1713-wharfedale-dx1.html

Sir, yours was the first thread I read on hifivision. The wharfdale dx1 is also on my radar.

Consider Sonodyne Avant range of speakers....Flagship model from Sonodyne & a brilliant performance....You can look @ Avant 150 BS (20K for a pair) + Avant LCR 250 (15K)...Later you can add surrounds & sub-woofer when your budget permits...

Also consider Sonodyne Sonus range of speakers... Sonus 1501 BS (10K) + Sonus C 2401 (6K) + Sonus Dipole speakers (12K)..You can look @ Roarr range of subwoofers from Sonodyne 15- 20K (or) from Astonia Subwoofer which is around 15K i suppose...

All these prices are approx...You may check Hifimart for exact prices (or) walk in to a listening room for a demo in your city...

looks like wharfdale and Sonodyne are in similar price range. Are there any difference in sound quality? as in is one better than the other.

Go for all Polk speaker combo . I am sure you will love it .

One of the FM Tanmayj just has completed his set up and seems to be fully satisfied .

I am going to be the next to have the similar setup
Guess you are talking about tl1600 package. They more look like computer speaker to me:D Kidding. I have it in my list too. Gotta listem to them before I strike it off.

Last edited:
Can the playstation perform similar to a dedicated blue ray player?

A PS3 does everything like a standalone Bluray player plus it plays the games disks which obviously BD player can't handle. My suggestion: buy the PS3 first if you play games. Then compare blu ray / DVD performance with other players. In my friends home I have used both and in my experience, I found no difference in blu ray picture performance between the PS3 & higher end players. PS3's DVD upscaling is also very good. The only reason you should go for a standalone blu ray player, is due to PS3's fan noise (as my friends AV system is housed in a closed cabinet and room is AC). If that's not an issue for you, you may well be happy with your PS3.

A PS3 does everything like a standalone Bluray player plus it plays the games disks which obviously BD player can't handle. My suggestion: buy the PS3 first if you play games. Then compare blu ray / DVD performance with other players.

Thanks for the input Rupam. The reason i ask this is because a PS3 and a BR player will cost more or less the same, but the PS3 will serve 2 of my needs.
E

Early this morning I had replied to your previous post. I got a message saying ' moderator has to approve'. Hence it is not seen here.

What are your thoughts on Wharfe diamond 10.2 package? Couldnt find much of reviews here. I know it is way out of my budget, but I just want to know. If they are good enough I could go for bookshelf and center now. Or is it going to be an overkill for the room of 12X12 size.

Also, are the subs in Wharfe MS100 and DX1 active subs?

Last edited:
Oh I guess all quoted posts needs moderator's approval.
@rupam, I quoted your text and thats pending too.

Sir, yours was the first thread I read on hifivision. The wharfdale dx1 is also on my radar.

looks like wharfdale and Sonodyne are in similar price range. Are there any difference in sound quality? as in is one better than the other.

Guess you are talking about tl1600 package. They more look like computer speaker to me:D Kidding. I have it in my list too. Gotta listem to them before I strike it off.

Denon 1713 with Wharfedale DX-1 will be perfect for you. Convince your better half that this is a one time expenditure and you will never have to visit cinema hall again. :D

Denon 1713 with Wharfedale DX-1 will be perfect for you. Convince your better half that this is a one time expenditure and you will never have to visit cinema hall again. :D

I have read your thread and also the thread by Umapati. Choosing between DX1 and MS100 is a difficult choice.

Can you explain to me what exactly does a median player do. Is it just another hard disk or Does it do media-streaming?

The problem I have is that I am looking to buy within 6-8 months time frame. I can in no way afford to buy one today. I do not want to do auditions now since I am a very impulsive person. I might end up buying one then and there if I like it. Hence I would like to look at all possible options before I shortlist a few.

HD Media player are all in one file format player. They can play 99% AV file formats just like computers. You can hook them up with HDMI to you AVR and then play download movies, musics.
Some HD Media players have networking options, so that you can connect your broadband and play directly from internet, share files on HDD. Some of them offer wifi connectivity also.

Here are some options > ASUS - O!Play HDP-R1

WD TV Live Hub

http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/OPlay_Media_Pro

Dune HD Media Player - Dune HD TV-101 | Dune HD

Here is some ebay link > http://www.ebay.in/sch/HDD-DIVX-Media-Players-/172306/i.html?_nkw=media+player+tv&rt=nc

Last edited:

If you are comparing Wharfedale diamaond Vs Sonodyne Sonus for the price, Nope... Sonodyne's Sonus range cost less than Wharfedale's for the same technical/driver specification....

Yes...Each brand has its own sound signature...Choose the one which suits your taste & your budget....

This is what i am confused about. Since I am not an AV guy, I may be sold for denon 1312XP also because I have no idea of quality sound and what exactly I should be looking for.
I have added all that you have recommended to my notes. Somehow missed your thread. Will read it now. Do you think she will let me go alone for the audition?:D

Read some good reviews about diamond 9.2. Also saw a theater package on hifimart for Wharfdale diamond 10.1 with denon1713 for 99k. Minus AVR should be around 70k which is again double my budget. Just wanted to know if the speaker package is a good combo with 1713. Also is the speaker package good enough to buy piece by piece?

Nope. Am talking about separates . Tsi400 FS Speakers + tsi100 surrounds + CS10 CS and SW of Polk or velodyne .

HTiB's sounds good mostly for movies . For musical experience, you should go for separates .

If hard pressed on budget and have no option but HTiB than do audition Paradigm Cinema 100CT ( Slightly costlier than DX-1 ) with denon 1713, I find it better than DX-1 for movies and Music .

Thanks for all the advice guys. Appreciate it
Of all the speaker packages, i will audition wharf dx1 and ms100, energy classic, BA 5.1 and Paradigm 100ct.
I have still not decided if I should go for speaker packages or buy piece by piece. If it is a speaker package I will not be willing to spend more than 40k.

If I go for separate speakers, assuming that I have budget of 35k for front and surround alone what would you suggest??

If you are interested in separates then why don't you consider Wharfedale Obsidian 600 Home Theatre Package. The cost is same as DX-1. Wharfedale Obsidian 600 Home Theatre Package

But then, these might be overkill for your room size. I suggest you to take the separates route since you are in no hurry and has time to spare.
1. First get two good bookshelves, and then a matching centre channel. You can either look for Wharfedale 121 / Wharfedale DIAMOND 10.1 or Polk TSi200. The add the centre channel.
2. You can buy a good subwoofer and surrounds later.

Stretch your budget a little, the money won't be wasted.
If you are on the budget then please consider then please consider the following packages > 5.1 Home Theatre System

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back