Which Digital Camera?

myriad

I hope lot of you guys are in photography too. I had a Sony cybershot w-150 and was recently got lost from my cousin. Now i need a new camera. I have a budget of 15ks. I need a camera which is good with portrait, close and low light images. I have found all budget cameras are good with images under natural light but fail in low light and close images. Will i get a camera within my budget which gives good result if not excel under these conditions.
Regard
Vasu

Canon Powershot SX120 IS

I have a Canon SX100 IS ....... 8 MP .... 10X zoom. Quite a range of features in the 10K I paid on a LP of 12.5K, a year ago.

The suggested model should be easily within 15 K now. You won't get DSLR pic qualities, but a very very apt "high-end budget" model.

Yeah as adividyarti said, Canon P&S in that price bracked are amazing vfm and give great image quality You can check out canon a570is,590is,1XXX is etc. Also Pana lumix FZ series.
But if you want really good low light image quality, go for a used dslr, a eos350d or d40 you may get for 15k.

The Canon SX120 IS is the best available at the moment, pls go to a nearest dealer in your area & check it out, next would be the Lumix FZ series but Canon IMHO is the best with regards to overall picture quality. DSLR's are a completely different ball game altogether which I think is not for all of us as in for day to day & for ease of use, plus the maintenance is quite a pain!

The Canon SX120 IS is the best available at the moment, pls go to a nearest dealer in your area & check it out, next would be the Lumix FZ series but Canon IMHO is the best with regards to overall picture quality. DSLR's are a completely different ball game altogether which I think is not for all of us as in for day to day & for ease of use, plus the maintenance is quite a pain!

Thanks Denom.
Will check out the Canon SX120 IS.
Regards
Vasu

Denom, agree with all you said, but the part about maintenance? How is it such a pain? Are you referring to lens/sensor cleaning?

Yes iaudio, cleaning the lenses & all related to it is a pain, plus maintaining the equipment in proper cases/temperatures & what not, its very tedious for lazy ppl like me!!! But then people who are passionate about photography will go to any lengths to get the equipment cleaned & capture pictures.... sometimes bordering on madness ;)

Hello Folks,
I checked ezone site and found the particular model of Canon has been discountinued.

Pls go to a proper camera shop, sites of electronic shops like ezone, vijay sales, croma etc do not 1) Maintain a proper website, 2) Never update the data, 3) Just make a website for the heck of it.

Why not go to canon website???
PowerShot SX120 IS - Digital Cameras - Canon India

If it was discontinued, i don't think it would still be on the canon india website....
Even if it is discontinued, why should it be a problem? The camera is good & thats what counts.....

Pls go to a proper camera shop, sites of electronic shops like ezone, vijay sales, croma etc do not 1) Maintain a proper website, 2) Never update the data, 3) Just make a website for the heck of it.

If it was discontinued, i don't think it would still be on the canon india website....
Even if it is discontinued, why should it be a problem? The camera is good & thats what counts.....

Thanks Denox,
120 IS is very much in the product range at Canon site.

+1 to that. Nothing wrong with it, moreover you may get a discount on it too.

pls save a little more and go for an entry level DSLR..for the kind of images u like to capture the dslr will do a lot better !!

pls save a little more and go for an entry level DSLR..for the kind of images u like to capture the dslr will do a lot better !!

everyone in the family will be using the same camera that's why i am looking at easy to use options
regards
vasu

I hope lot of you guys are in photography too. I had a Sony cybershot w-150 and was recently got lost from my cousin. Now i need a new camera. I have a budget of 15ks. I need a camera which is good with portrait, close and low light images. I have found all budget cameras are good with images under natural light but fail in low light and close images. Will i get a camera within my budget which gives good result if not excel under these conditions.
Regard
Vasu

Since you are specifically looking for a compact camera that performs reasonably well in low light situations, you need a camera that has a fast/bright lens combined with a large sensor size with a low-ish pixel density (which makes the pixels in the sensor more sensitive to input light). This combination will give you the best performance in low light situations where you will have to crank up the ISO setting on your camera (or your camera will automatically do this for you). In fact the low pixel density of DSLRs due to their huge APSC sensor is the singular reason why you can take photographs even in ISO1600 but almost any budget compact will start producing really noisy images at ISO400 and above. The lens makes a big difference too but many compacts also have decent lenses nowadays.

The Powershot SX120IS is actually quite decent for the price, and has a decent lens. However, it has a fairly small sensor of 1/2.5" that is standard size for most budget compacts.

The only compacts that have a largish sensor, to my knowledge, are the Canon S90, Panasonic LX3, and Fujifilm F200EXR (1/1.6" sensor). The S90 and LX3 are very expensive however, but the F200EXR should be within your budget, or only slightly higher. Do note that the lineage of the F200EXR stems from the Fujifilm F31fd which had a cult status for being the only compact camera around capable of somewhat rivaling DSLRs in taking low light pictures.

In fact, the megapixel war has effectively ensured that no budget compact, apart from the F31fd and its brethren, can lay claim to this in all these years. See the ISO 800 comparison between the F31fd and the Canon SD 800 IS. No contest. Or the comparison with the Nikon D50 DSLR, in which the F31fd gives it a very good fight even in ISO800!

For a more modern comparison, you can see the comparison of the F200EXR with the Canon IXUS 110 IS (PowerShot SD 960 IS).

Last edited:
You must try Panasonic Lumix FZ28/FZ35 range of cameras.
You should be able to get these from local camera market within your price range.both these camera have fast leica Lens (f/2.8) which allows you to take better pictures in low light and Panasonic is best when it comes to in lens IS.

Also, do try out D40/40x/60/3000 etc as these cameras are really easy to use and provide amazing IQ.

Regard
Vasu

Go for a Canon if you are used to a point and shoot.
I had a Pana FZ28, before I upgraded to a DSLR.
The FZ28 provides good superzoom facility but the image quality deteriorates at the extreme zoom end. Artifacts of Chromatic aberration and purple fringing creeps in at the extreme zoom. Otherwise, In good light conditions, the image quality is good.
The Canons at the P&S category is found to be the best in terms of image quality.
But, if you have been using P&S for a while now then it is a good time for upgrading to a DSLR. Initially, the DSLR seems like a lot to handle but once you get used to it then it opens a new world of experimentation with you images. All you have to do is to let loose your creativity and expression.:licklips:

Cheers!
Vivek

I think you can have a look at Canon SX200IS or Panasonic ZS1. They are compact and so easy to carry around. Heard good things about the Panny but not sure about the availability. So that leaves you with SX200IS and which I feel will serve your purpose. It's of 28-336mm focal length which will cover most of your needs from landscapes to portraits. You can give this a thought I feel. There is a Fuji model which also is quite good but I can't remember the model number now.

And about your worry about the DSLR cleaning and maintenance, trust me, it;s not that pain at all. All you need is a good blower to blow the dust off for most of the time. But it's very cumbersome to carry it around if you are not using it as a hobby. For a hobbyist the bulk of the camera doesn't matter(actually bulkier the better for them ;-)).

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back