Which HD LCD TV to buy !!!! Very much confused !!

shashidharga

Hi friends ...
By going thru many forums I finally purchased Oppo BDP-83 (with Hardware Modding kit) .... I've BPL neptune 21" CRT TV (10 years old) . I want to buy 40 inches LCD Tv and my budget is around 70000/-. I'm very much confused and not yet finalised the make and model !!!! Can anybody pls help me in choosing a best HDLCD for my Oppo BDP-83 .... thanx in advance ...
shashi

See if you can find the last few pieces of the Philips 9703. They are available in Croma and Philips Arena stores. I just picked up one for 56k which is an absolute steal. It supports everything in the book - has a 10bit IPS panel, 100Hz scan, deep color support, best in the business motion resolution and really accurate colors.

Can anybody pls help me in choosing a best HDLCD for my Oppo BDP-83 .... thanx in advance ...

Since you have BD-83, I would suggest you look for a FullHD TV and a minimum size of 42 inches. Otherwise the capabilities of the BD-83 will be wasted.

Cheers

Hi friends ...
I want to buy 40 inches LCD Tv and my budget is around 70000/-.

You'll have plenty of options for 70k - most 40 inches retail around 55-60k. I've bought LG 42" LH50YR after lot of research - LG Jazz series, Sony V, EX series, Panasonic Vierra were the contenders. The features (2.4 ms response time, 200Hz tru-motion, IPS panel, etc) for the price offered (55k) was unbeatable and hence went for it (LH60YR too will have all this + 700w, 10 speaker 5.1ch virtual surround setup; but as I'm planning to go for a full and proper HT, decided to go against it). The TV has been and continues to win all the hearts visiting our home. :eek:hyeah:

Good luck for your hunt! :cheers:

Thanx to all..
After a lot of research ... I've decided to go for Sony KLV-40EX500 ... the main specs are ;
Motionflow 100
Full HD 1080
BRAVIA Engine 3
Intelligent Picture PLUS
MPEG Noise Reduction
USB Photo/Music/Video

Retailing at MRP Rs. 73,900 /-* (MRP inclusive of all taxes)

anybody bought this model ? Any reviews ?
Shashi

Hi GunMo ..
As per CNET review of LG 42LH50 .. here is the summary.

The good:
First TV with built-in Netflix streaming; well-implemented Yahoo Widgets engine; accurate color; extensive picture controls including unique Picture Wizard; solid connectivity with four HDMI and one PC input; energy efficient.

The bad: Relatively expensive; reproduces pretty light black levels; does not separate antiblur and anti-judder processing; fails to properly handle 1080p/24 content; below-average off-angle viewing; no S-video input.

The bottom line: While the picture quality of the LG LH50 series won't appeal to videophiles, its Netflix streaming and oodles of other interactive features will win over plenty of folks fed up with external boxes

When I visited a showroom, 1st day a sales person explained about LG 42LH50 and I was decided to go for it. Again I went to the same showroom next day. This day another person gave a demo of both the LG 42LH50 and Sony 40EX500. The Picture quality is very neat in Sony (compared to LG). Every minute details are visible in Sony LCD which the LG not. After this I've decided to go for the Sony.
Any input from others ??
shashi

hi,

LG42 LH50 at 55K is a good deal. The price quoted to me without any negotiation was 56k.

samsung 50" b450 rate quoted was 57k. I am also confused which one to buy. I met a friend, he has suggested me to go for 50" full hd. Hence the hunt is on to short list few and then select one.

regards

Thanx to all..
After a lot of research ... I've decided to go for Sony KLV-40EX500 ... the main specs are ;
Motionflow 100
Full HD 1080
BRAVIA Engine 3
Intelligent Picture PLUS
MPEG Noise Reduction
USB Photo/Music/Video

Shashi

well its a decent model,better then the LG models,but one can get it for around 60k if bought from the grey market.

Thanx adder ....
what about the warranty ??
shashi

well u don't get the 1 year warranty,but one does have the liberty to check the tv for any defects.
i and many others here and in other forums and my friends have bought tvs from the grey market no issues whats so ever,sony offcourse will repair it for a price.

Thanx to all..
Motionflow 100
Full HD 1080
BRAVIA Engine 3
Intelligent Picture PLUS
MPEG Noise Reduction
USB Photo/Music/Video

Shashi

What research have you done.............That sony model is wayyyy to expensive for just a 40". I have compared sony and LG and believe me, with few picture configurations LG gives at par video quality to sony. Sony is way over prized.......I bought a 47" LG Model LH70YR review HERE for 73000!!and its performing beautifully, with far more features than sony. Dont get your mind locked on sony is the best.... LG is far underated in this regard and I request you to reconsider your decission.

My friend has recently purchased 32" version of EX500 and it is very good. Performance is good with DTH and DVD.

You can take any original DVD to showroom and ask to play, preferably through component or HDMI. verify yourself

IMO..

do check Samsung 40B650.. it has all features which sony 40 Ex500 has..
plus it can play HD (avi,mkv,mp4) movies via USB harddisks (NTFS as well).. has ethernet port to support DLNA and internet widgets..

sony EX500 retails at 68K here in Hyderabad..
samsung B650 about 62.5K..

When I visited a showroom, 1st day a sales person explained about LG 42LH50 and I was decided to go for it. Again I went to the same showroom next day. This day another person gave a demo of both the LG 42LH50 and Sony 40EX500. The Picture quality is very neat in Sony (compared to LG). Every minute details are visible in Sony LCD which the LG not. After this I've decided to go for the Sony.
Any input from others ??
shashi

Shashi, I understand what you mean. I too was in similar dilemma as Sony's PQ seemed very detailed - until I noticed that it's only brighter and hence the subtle details/backgrounds (better gray-scale?) are seemingly rendered better. Further, Sony (despite having BE3) was not reproducing the colors faithfully - i.e., not without adding/adjusting them (processing IMO excessively). Agreed it mesmerizes with its brilliant and brighter colors, but to me it looked like the TV was playing the scenes on its own rather than what the source is telling it to do.
I don't agree with CNET's comment on LG's lack of darkness reproduction and wide-angle viewing ability. On contrary I found them on par on even better to most LCDs in that range - except Panasonic Vierra which with its Alpha IPS panel shined superior in those particular area.

PS: Upwards of 70K for a 40" seems to me a bit outrageous. Sony is demanding it probably because of the relatively recent entry of EX series. If you are very particular about this model and don't mind waiting for a little time (6 months?!), then the price might come down.

However, if you've already bought a product, then don't worry too much. All these matters only when you watch them side-by-side. At your own home, your's WILL BE the best TV! :cheers:

hi,

LG42 LH50 at 55K is a good deal. The price quoted to me without any negotiation was 56k.

samsung 50" b450 rate quoted was 57k. I am also confused which one to buy. I met a friend, he has suggested me to go for 50" full hd. Hence the hunt is on to short list few and then select one.

regards

I too got the initial quote as 56k and I pushed them hard to bring them down to 55k - the store was next door and hence cited no transport cost to them, etc.! :D (actually the piece arrived from their depot - god knows where it is)!

I should add that I threw my old (non-working) CRT into the deal - normally a store would accept a working condition CRT and give 1-1.5k discount. :eek:hyeah: Probably the guys decided to get rid of me by taking it in as if it was "working"?!

Well, your samsung deal seems to be a good one - however, pls check if 50" will suit your room. Too small a room with too big a TV (i.e., closer than the recommended watching distance) will strain your eyes after a few days. Decide the size based on your room and then go for comparison/bargain only for that size.

Good luck with your hunt! :cheers:

I would go along with alok..
40B650 is the best model in the price range, it has the billion dollar motion interpolation, Much smoother and judder free than the competeters, Moreover has deep blacks and huge set of features..

BUT.. Availability may be a problem, as they said the stopped sending the pieces from jan10 onwards..

and you get into the famous panel lottery...

So much so for SONY v/s LG, SAMSUNG, PHILIPS etc. SONY TV though expensive than LG etc., but SONY never disappoints. If just comparing specs/VFM etc. then VIDEOCON will be even cheaper than LG.
My plus for SONY:
1) My eyes/ears dont get tired even if i watch 10 hrs. at a stretch, with Intelligent Picture, Intelligent sound.
2) Historically, SONY TV lasts ages. atleast TRINITRON did.
3) Better resale value. Resale required only if u wud be upgrading.

Hi friends..
Thanx for the valuable suggestions. After reading all these replies, now I am very ...very .. very ... much confused and not able to decide !!!!!
shashi

well no offence to the lg owners,but the only lg model that i feel is good is the LH90,the others are at best above average,colors aren't perfect,SD quality isn't good atleast compared to the sony,philips,samsung.poor contrast,motion is by far the poorest compared to the above brands despite using a IPS panel.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back