Which of these is the best floorstander?

Hi All
Some posts regarding affordability of hifi systems are very cruel. It sounded like quality audio (A subjective matter) is privilage of only rich who can afford expensive speakers and systems.
I for one can not afford 10000 Rs. speakers. I joined the forum because as Dinyaar said for knowledge and to seek information, as I am interested in both music and hifi audio systems.
(One more point : At least let us not insult India)
Regards :)

Hi All
Some posts regarding affordability of hifi systems are very cruel.

That's an harsh statement

It sounded like quality audio (A subjective matter) is privilage of only rich who can afford expensive speakers and systems.

Firstly, quality audio is as objective as it is subjective. a good speaker/ amp/ player etc has to show excellent measureable performance.

secondly, IT IS wrong to say only rich can afford expensive systems, but the sad truth is almost all good systems are quite expensive.

I for one can not afford 10000 Rs. speakers.

My case was not much different than yours, but you have no idea how much I (& my family) skimped / sacrificed to manage enough to set up our current system. It's a matter of passion and interest
On a positive note, this desire did drive me to develop myself to a position where I can aspire / afford good quality (unfortuantely expensive) systems. look at the brighter side!

I joined the forum because as Dinyaar said for knowledge and to seek information, as I am interested in both music and hifi audio systems.

good, soon you will realize it ain't as bad or expensive hobby as you thought.

(One more point : At least let us not insult India)
Regards :)
I have no idea what you mean by this

Done audition with Dynaudio vs Epos

Yesterday i dropped into Decibel for auditioning Dynaudio. Raghu had Dynaudio Audience 72 powered with Primare integrated stereo amp. I heard some Eagles, AR Rehman collection and klyie minogue. All i can say is they are mindblowing, they lived up to my taste. Highs were well controlled to be natural and the details were excellent without any harsh sound. Bass seem to be tight and they were impressive too. Mids were so smooth and i really loved it. The only drawback i found on them was the vocals. The vocals exposure was quite less but it's negotiable.

Meanwhile i made an A2B comparison with Epos. I compared Dynaudio audience 72 with Epos bookshelf(Don't know the model). Although it was an unfair comparison i enjoyed hearing them too. Highs were quite coloured though they are not harsh instead they were smooth, Mid was good and vocals were very legible and sounded excellent. As Epos are bookshelf speakers i cannot comment regarding Bass. Raghu said that i can get an high end Epos under 90k which concludes that they are excellent value for money. I'm also planning to hear them at bangalore Raghu doesn't have Epos floorstanders with him so he reffered me a dealer in bangalore.

Conclusion: Dynaudio's are perfect neutral speakers all the frequency are controlled to deliver a natural sound:clapping:. Epos are equally good but hi's are slightly coloured. Epos provide excellent VFM.

Next i'm planning to make an A2B comparison among Dynaudio and my Kefs. I'll let you know the results soon:eek:hyeah:.

Hi Guys,
Yes the Contour 1.3SE is a damn good speaker. Sadly i sold it (which is one of the many stupid decisions i have taken in my HIFI journey).
Actually the speaker could never really excel as it was let down by poor electronics at the time. If i am not wrong the price then was 2500 USD and i got it much cheaper. IMO its a good used buy and should beat the audience for sheer musicality and beat many FS from competing brands even for scale and bass authority.
Last week a friend dragged me to audition the Dyna Focus Stand mount (140 i think) and i preferred my old 1.3SE to this 1 lakh + offering. Heard the Confidence C2 and the Evidence temptation but thats another story alltogether!!!!!
Rgds

The 1.3se was def a super speaker which was replaced by the current S1.4.

AFAIK There is a sparingly used C1 up for sale for arnd 200K. I think it's a very tempting deal.

All the best.
Cheers.

Hi Guys,
Yes the Contour 1.3SE is a damn good speaker. Sadly i sold it (which is one of the many stupid decisions i have taken in my HIFI journey).
Actually the speaker could never really excel as it was let down by poor electronics at the time. If i am not wrong the price then was 2500 USD and i got it much cheaper. IMO its a good used buy and should beat the audience for sheer musicality and beat many FS from competing brands even for scale and bass authority.
Last week a friend dragged me to audition the Dyna Focus Stand mount (140 i think) and i preferred my old 1.3SE to this 1 lakh + offering. Heard the Confidence C2 and the Evidence temptation but thats another story alltogether!!!!!
Rgds

Dinyaar,
How will the vocals sound in contour series?. I found audience didn't emphasize much on vocals.

Last edited:
Hey! madhur i feel what you heard also has a lot to do with matching of the amp & rest of the chain. Also since you are used to listening to kef you may find the vocals unattractive.
Cheers

Can anyone suggest about this combo Lexicon DC-1 pre/Parasound HCA 1206 power. I have a great offer on these. But i've never heard them. Will this combo drive Dynaudios well? Thanks.

Hey! madhur I don't think it would be wise idea to get such an old processor as it would be able to decode all the new sound formats.Though the build quality of all such gear was super in those times.

As for the parasound power amp i've not heard the same model. But you can look into it if is made designed before 99 or after 2003 as between those AFAIK parasound had made very ordinary stuff.

If you intend to buy dynaudio i would'nt be looking at the lexicon/parasound combo. As form what i gather you want a warm sound. For the a good match with the pre power for your kinda sound form what i understand i would be looking at PMC, Legacy kinds.

All the best.
Cheers

Hi Marsilians

Can you pls name a few musical bookshelf speakers (along with their model numbers if possible) ?

Here is a suggestion based on your search that compare with Quads

Anthony Gallo - Nucleaus
Paradigm Studio 40
NHT - Classic 2
Usher X718
Dali Ikon 2
PSB Imagine
..and the usual B&W's and similar ilk.

Hey! madhur I don't think it would be wise idea to get such an old processor as it would be able to decode all the new sound formats.Though the build quality of all such gear was super in those times.

As for the parasound power amp i've not heard the same model. But you can look into it if is made designed before 99 or after 2003 as between those AFAIK parasound had made very ordinary stuff.

If you intend to buy dynaudio i would'nt be looking at the lexicon/parasound combo. As form what i gather you want a warm sound. For the a good match with the pre power for your kinda sound form what i understand i would be looking at PMC, Legacy kinds.

All the best.
Cheers

Neo,
I was told that parasound is a warm sounding amp that is y i opted for it. Initially i thought of owning 'NAD'. I currently have one and they throw a warm sound when clubbed with my Kef. I obviously guess that NAD will drive dynas well. BTW is there any other ideal match to drive dynas? Thx a lot.

Hey! Madhur I would say an arcam would do well. Though i've not heard the combo my self I guess apno dinyaar might be able to throw some light on it.

Also you seem to be convinced on the dyna's though i've nothing against them & they do make great speakers but i would suggest you listen to the other stuff as well even if you get a great deal on any used ones.

All the best.
Cheers.

Hi madhurshanker,

I like a dynaudio and there are many amps that can 'adequately' drive them. I too have not really heard them with an arcam so no first hand opinion. Actually have heard them with some primare gear at SS and can hence presume that arcam will also work.
In an earlier post u were unsure of the vocals on a contour v/s audience? Now my take is if u found the audience lacking in the vocals u will not like the contour too. Maybe something a little more forward may be more to your liking.
Hear as many speakers as u can before u take the plunge. Loads of Dyna fans are finding the new Dynas just 'ok' and looking around for different options.
Rgds

Hey! Madhur I would say an arcam would do well. Though i've not heard the combo my self I guess apno dinyaar might be able to throw some light on it.

Also you seem to be convinced on the dyna's though i've nothing against them & they do make great speakers but i would suggest you listen to the other stuff as well even if you get a great deal on any used ones.

All the best.
Cheers.

neo,
Thanks!! i'll listen to other stuff and will finalise. Probably, I was too excited hearing dyna's. You're right i should do more hearing and decide later.

If small size speakers are OK with you, then audition Bose Acoustimass speakers. They are sounded extremely good to me and they cost only 22K... You don't need woofers with them.... If you listen with your fav music , i am sure you will love them...

Axiom M60

Axiom M80

B&W 704

Focal Chorus 816v/826v

Hi everyone im new to this forum. Hope i'll have great fun with you guys. BTW I currently own KEF IQ5's and iam planning to upgrade to a new system. My budget is 2 lakhs for speakers alone(may be 5(Front,Center,Rear) or 2 speakers it depends on what brand i choose) even excluding subwoofer. The above speakers are my consideration. I've short listed these speakers based on their reviews. But in reality i don't know how these towers race among each other. Can you please help me choosing a wise one out of it?

hi, if u have not yet decided on the floorstanders ,do give the JAMO-C809 an audition @ cinebells , i believe your`tastes are both music & movies , these are fabulous for movies and good for music too (they are slightly forward sounding they produce very tight bass and goes very low too ,they provide great excitement) the draw back with these spkrs are they are very power hungry and need a hefty amp an AVR will not do , you will need to go the pre/power way

If small size speakers are OK with you, then audition Bose Acoustimass speakers. They are sounded extremely good to me and they cost only 22K... You don't need woofers with them.... If you listen with your fav music , i am sure you will love them...

I've heard bose a year back and i was not at all impressed. According to me they are overrated. But i was surprised hearing the output of such a small cube satellites. They're not woth buying until or unless you are very much concerned about the space. Anyways thanks.

hi, if u have not yet decided on the floorstanders ,do give the JAMO-C809 an audition @ cinebells , i believe your`tastes are both music & movies , these are fabulous for movies and good for music too (they are slightly forward sounding they produce very tight bass and goes very low too ,they provide great excitement) the draw back with these spkrs are they are very power hungry and need a hefty amp an AVR will not do , you will need to go the pre/power way

Subhash,
I'll definitely give a try.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back