Which one? P50UT50 or PS51F5500. Please Suggest

genie007

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a value 50inch plasma.

I have narrowed down to these 2 models.

1. Panasonic P50UT50 approx 73000/= (on Ebay.in)(no 3d glasses given)(Trusted Reviews rating 8/10)
2. Samsung PS51F5500 approx 72000/= (from local dealer)(with 2 3d glasses)(Trusted Reviews rating 9/10)

Trusted Reviews links
1. http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-tx-p50ut50_TV_review
2. http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ps51f5500_TV_review

Points to consider-
My living room has rosewood panelling on all walls, so its not very bright.
No windows facing the TV, (One 10ftx5ft window behind the TV).
Want good 2d picure upscaling (family watches lot of Star channels and Etv channels via a Tatasky stb, will be upgrading to Tatasky+ HD).
Ocassionally watch 3D movies.
Will be buying a PS4 later.
TV will be connected to a Denon+Sonodyne 7.1 HT Setup (existing).
How is IR on the above 2 models?
I am from Bangalore, any better pricing suggestions?
Anything else i should know?

Thank you for all your help guys!

Last edited:
I think 5500 can be a better choice being the new model. It shall be available for around 70K. So it will be my choice.

For both the sets, SD PQ is OK, not great, like any bigger screen Full HD TV. But it will be better with a better input like DTH or may be even with a digital cable where the quality of input is better.

That does not mean, 50UT50 is not good. It can be bought for I think around 65/66k (browse for various online prices). Also it offers the trademark Pana 3 years warranty.

So take your pick.

UT50 was one of the best budget plasmas for 2012 and many considered it right next to ST50 as well. There are numerous reviews giving this tv full marks. However this is not available and you will be lucky to source stocks.

F5500 replaces the E550 which was also Samsung's last year top plasma tv. Since the tv is new and recently launched, reviews are hard to find online.

Both would be excellent choices, I strongly would advise to demo both the tv's, if possible side by side and then take the final call.

That's true. Take demo and decide. I had taken few demos of 5500 and am impressed with the capability. For customer feedback, you can refer to the product page of 5500 at Amazon.com.

Saw this thread and couldn't hold myself back with registering on this forum :)

Even I am looking at that Samsung plasma tv. Its mrp is 77500 rs but the price I got from local dealer is 65k which is decent enough I guess. Though I will try to bring it down 1-2k more.

My criteria was to buy the biggest size tv for less budget. Finalised this & LG 47LN5710- 68k. I hope I am making a right choice out these two tvs. This plasma should perform better than that LG Led tv.

I do own a LG 32' 3D 32LM6400- 52k & its pretty good performing led :)

That's true. Take demo and decide. I had taken few demos of 5500 and am impressed with the capability. For customer feedback, you can refer to the product page of 5500 at Amazon.com.

Thank you for your suggestions
I will take demo and then decide.
:)

UT50 was one of the best budget plasmas for 2012 and many considered it right next to ST50 as well. There are numerous reviews giving this tv full marks. However this is not available and you will be lucky to source stocks.

F5500 replaces the E550 which was also Samsung's last year top plasma tv. Since the tv is new and recently launched, reviews are hard to find online.

Both would be excellent choices, I strongly would advise to demo both the tv's, if possible side by side and then take the final call.

Thank you for your suggestions
I am waiting for more reviews of PS5155500
and will also demo it

I wouldn't buy an item such as a TV from Ebay. I also agree that F5500 may be slightly better than UT50.

Thank you
Heeding your advice i have dropped the idea of TV purchase from online sites.
Risk of damage in transit will be high

The new 2013 Samsung plasma might have the edge on the overall picture brightness (Samsung has made a real winner with their new 2013 plasma panels with never before picture brightness for plasmas till date)and you may like it in the showroom compared to Panasonic UT50 plasma but do remember Panasonic offers the best in class plasma picture quality along with rock solid tough panel..and top of that you cant be full around by Panasonic plasmas(given the fact that it generates much lesser heat {practically none} while running the set compared to other plasmas)...so think before you leap on other Tvs..As there is no UT60 this time in India the only budget 3D plasma set you have is ST60..

Even I am looking at that Samsung plasma tv. Its mrp is 77500 rs but the price I got from local dealer is 65k which is decent enough I guess. Though I will try to bring it down 1-2k more. )
Yogi- that's the best price I think so far being reported for 5500. Can you share the store detail?

Booked it for 65k as dealer is saying that prices have gone up to 80k due to dollar effect. Will be getting tv by tomorrow evening.

The shop is Samsung branded one in Satra plaza, vashi. Franchise is RC electronics. That particular shop has a demo unit on display as well.

Tried wifi direct & it works very well with Note2 for video playback.

Hope I have made right choice :beer:

Thanx. I also did a few demo at the same shop. This is without any exchange, right.
Anyway congrats on the purchase.

65k is a pretty good deal. As this is a new TV, it can't be a display piece as well.

I checked at 2 places in Chennai and the price is 74k :mad: and in both the places there's no display unit for this model.

One more thing, when I asked about extended warranty the person in Samsung Showroom said there's no extended warranty for Plasma models :sad: Is it true?

I haven't seen this model on demo anywhere in Delhi yet. I was thinking between this and an LG, but finally went with an LED LG. There were too many issues about humming/buzzing with this model on AVforums.

Booked it for 65k as dealer is saying that prices have gone up to 80k due to dollar effect. Will be getting tv by tomorrow evening.

The shop is Samsung branded one in Satra plaza, vashi. Franchise is RC electronics. That particular shop has a demo unit on display as well.

Tried wifi direct & it works very well with Note2 for video playback.

Hope I have made right choice :beer:

51" F5500 for 65K? Are you kidding me? You've made the best choice. Wish I had one of those plasmas

Congratulations! :clapping: :clapping:

Even I am looking at that Samsung plasma tv. Its mrp is 77500 rs but the price I got from local dealer is 65k which is decent enough I guess. Though I will try to bring it down 1-2k more.

My criteria was to buy the biggest size tv for less budget. Finalised this & LG 47LN5710- 68k. I hope I am making a right choice out these two tvs. This plasma should perform better than that LG Led tv.

I do own a LG 32' 3D 32LM6400- 52k & its pretty good performing led :)

F5500 for 65k................GRAB IT!!!

Grabbed it... :p

Thanks Yogi for sharing the great deal. Got it for 65k plus 4/14 emi scheme. I finally decided for this one being the best vfm model.

Expecting delivery tomorrow.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back