Xiaomi to launch Mi TV Q1 75" on 23rd March - QLED, 192 Zones, 120Hz

Just to add, Netflix works fine and gives Dolby Vision with resolution set to Auto.
Yes, it will as I mentioned. It will give Dolby Vision only in Auto mode as it's fixed to 1080p 60 mode. If you check your resolution and bitrate on Netflix, it will be 1080p.
If I select 4k/60 forced and HDR to auto, I am not getting Dolby Vision.
Yes, but you should still get HDR10 which on a bright TV is basically the same. Dolby Vision only matters when you have to do tone-mapping, i.e. your TV natively can't display the brightness as in the metadata. If the source says it's 800 nits and your TV can do 800 nits, it won't need Dolby Vision as no tone mapping is needed.

Yes, it will as I mentioned. It will give Dolby Vision only in Auto mode as it's fixed to 1080p 60 mode. If you check your resolution and bitrate on Netflix, it will be 1080p.

Yes, but you should still get HDR10 which on a bright TV is basically the same. Dolby Vision only matters when you have to do tone-mapping, i.e. your TV natively can't display the brightness as in the metadata. If the source says it's 800 nits and your TV can do 800 nits, it won't need Dolby Vision as no tone mapping is needed.
No, I am not getting HDR10. its only standard, Movie, etc.

I am getting HDR10+ while using the native Prime app on TV.

the vast majority of 2K and 4K Blu-ray disc sources have video encoded at 23.976fps (not 24.00fps), which should be displayed by the TV at 23.976Hz. But if the TV displays 23.976fps encoded content at 24.000Hz you will see a stutter every 41/42 seconds (as the time difference between 23.976 and 24.000 is 0.024).

Similarly, if the TV displays 24.000fps encoded content at 23.976Hz you see a stutter also!
THEY ARE NOT EQUAL. IF YOU DON'T KNOW, STOP MISINFORMATION.
You do know that most TVs which support 120Hz also support 119.88Hz, right? That's how they are able to do 5:5 pulldown on 23.976Hz content, else it'll be sample and hold with a frame duplication every ~41 sec.

In fact, on many 120Hz displays 119.88Hz as the default when you connect them to PC.

I'm not saying if the Xiaomi supports it, but many TVs like the LG OLEDs do.

No, I am not getting HDR10. its only standard, Movie, etc.

I am getting HDR10+ while using the native Prime app on TV.
This is weird. You should be able to get base HDR10 on DV titles. On my U7980 that's the case and I highly doubt that Mi Q1 has even worse HDMI compatibility.

Can you try some HDR videos on YouTube with 4k/60 fixed and see if you get HDR?

This is weird. You should be able to get base HDR10 on DV titles. On my U7980 that's the case and I highly doubt that Mi Q1 has even worse HDMI compatibility.

Can you try some HDR videos on YouTube with 4k/60 fixed and see if you get HDR?
Yes, on youtube with 4k/60 fixed I am getting HDR.20210608_191513.jpg

Thanks for cross checking on lg cx.

Just tried on my other TV (samsung Frame 50), judder is there. But, there is an option in samsung FrameTV to set Judder Reduction level , with Motion smoothing still turned off. The scene looked good with that. May be it adds unwanted effects in other scenes.

Will see if MI Q1 has any similar settings to reduce the judder without introducing any other effects.
Checked it again in various modes on the cx and results are -
Vivid, normal, hdr , power saving modes - zero judder of any kind. Smooth.
Filmmaker, expert modes both bright and dark , cinema modes - light judder.

Through ps4 - no judder

Make what you want of this.

There is not straight forward way of getting it installed. Due to lockdown I was not able to place the request on the webpage form. It was taking the request for my Bangalore Pin code. But I was provided with a URL to a form to send your concerns to the Helpdesk team. They took around 48 hours to call me and another 24 hours to get a call from service center.
I spoke to customer care and they allowed Self installation considering to the lock down condition. but they asked me take a video (non stop/no gap) from unboxing to TV installed on the stand and switch it on. That video can be shared if there is a Damage or DOA case.

Call the customer care. Once the amount reflects on your Internet banking Unbilled transactions list

Yes... its peace of mind. I purchased the +1 year for 3799.00 from Mi Service technician who came for Demo/Installation

Through ps4 - no judder

Is Motion smoothing / Trumotion On or OFF with these modes by default?

Thanks so for your replies. I am in an unfortunate situation because my projector too has conked
There is not straight forward way of getting it installed. Due to lockdown I was not able to place the request on the webpage form. It was taking the request for my Bangalore Pin code. But I was provided with a URL to a form to send your concerns to the Helpdesk team. They took around 48 hours to call me and another 24 hours to get a call from service center.
I spoke to customer care and they allowed Self installation considering to the lock down condition. but they asked me take a video (non stop/no gap) from unboxing to TV installed on the stand and switch it on. That video can be shared if there is a Damage or DOA case.

Call the customer care. Once the amount reflects on your Internet banking Unbilled transactions list will

Yes... its peace of mind. I purchased the +1 year for 3799.00 from Mi Service technician who came for Demo/Installation
Thanks all for your replies. I am in an unfortunate situation as my projector too has conked out and is under repair. I just got a message from Bluedart saying delivery of the tv will be tomorrow. I will have to figure out a way to install it as i have a very frustrated set of kids. 15th June looks very far away as the tv will be delivered tomorrow itself!
P.S. Do we need to contact Mi for installation or they will themselves call?

Yes, on youtube with 4k/60 fixed I am getting HDR.View attachment 57817
That's weird. It should be in HDR mode with YouTube and not Dolby Vision. YouTube doesn't support DV.

I know Xiaomi was bad with software after seeing MIUI but this is on next level.
And here is Prime on Firestick with forced 4k/60

View attachment 57818
I'm hoping this is an HDR show?

Can you show me what your firestick display settings are? There seems to be something very wrong happening here.

You do know that most TVs which support 120Hz also support 119.88Hz, right? That's how they are able to do 5:5 pulldown on 23.976Hz content, else it'll be sample and hold with a frame duplication every ~41 sec.

In fact, on many 120Hz displays 119.88Hz as the default when you connect them to PC.

I'm not saying if the Xiaomi supports it, but many TVs like the LG OLEDs do.
Just checked, 23hz, 24hz, 59hz, 60hz and 120hz are present.
Btw OLED have worse stutter, if you remove all motion enhancement. This shouldn't be disputed.

Last edited:

Through ps4 - no judder

Hey thankyou, can you remove all enhancement from motion? These modes look as it they are using some types of motion enhancement.

Just checked, 23hz, 24hz, 59hz, 60hz and 120hz are present.
I believe the 23Hz refers to 23.976Hz and 59Hz to the 59.997Hz. Not sure if the 120Hz refers to 119.88 or 120Hz.

Even my display reports 60Hz but it's actually 59.997Hz. If you have a tool like MadVR you can get these stats:
1623169342783.png
Btw OLED have worse stutter, if you remove all motion enhancement. This shouldn't be disputed.
For 24fps content, yes. OLEDs have faster response times which leads to the fast shutter effect.

It's a plus for high(60fps) content and gaming though.
Hey this looks awesome, how did you get Dolby Vision? I tried the same but I always get HDR options.
There's something wrong with his firestick 4k settings. firestick is upsampling HDR10 to DV. YouTube doesn't have any DV content and probably never will (due to royalties).

Edit: you can also check the real refresh (not the rounded up integer) in Windows advanced display settings:
1623169698153.png

I believe the 23Hz refers to 23.976Hz and 59Hz to the 59.997Hz. Not sure if the 120Hz refers to 119.88 or 120Hz.

Even my display reports 60Hz but it's actually 59.997Hz. If you have a tool like MadVR you can get these stats:
View attachment 57839

For 24fps content, yes. OLEDs have faster response times which leads to the fast shutter effect.

It's a plus for high(60fps) content and gaming though.

There's something wrong with his firestick 4k settings. firestick is upsampling HDR10 to DV. YouTube doesn't have any DV content and probably never will (due to royalties).

Edit: you can also check the real refresh (not the rounded up integer) in Windows advanced display settings:
View attachment 57840

Hi thanks for explaining, I tried again.
Attached is the type of refresh rate available in this TV.
I have some questions.

1. I am getting 12 bit depth in RGB color space in SDR, how is it possible? My display has become very saturated.
2. My resolution as attached in one of pic is 4096*2160. How is it possible?
3. Enabling HDR is making my TV washed out. How to implement that?

Attachments

• IMG_20210609_015108.jpg
    IMG_20210609_015108.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210609_015049.jpg
    IMG_20210609_015049.jpg
    829.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210609_015035.jpg
    IMG_20210609_015035.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 30
the vast majority of 2K and 4K Blu-ray disc sources have video encoded at 23.976fps (not 24.00fps), which should be displayed by the TV at 23.976Hz. But if the TV displays 23.976fps encoded content at 24.000Hz you will see a stutter every 41/42 seconds (as the time difference between 23.976 and 24.000 is 0.024).

Similarly, if the TV displays 24.000fps encoded content at 23.976Hz you see a stutter also!
THEY ARE NOT EQUAL. IF YOU DON'T KNOW, STOP MISINFORMATION.
Self loathing on this forum sucks even more. People know difference between judder and stutter and a stutter at 41/42 second won't effect a viewer as much As when a 60hzTV does a 3/2 pull down for a 24hz content.
Tried with firetv stick(4k) Resolution set to Automatic, and no stutter found compared to MI inbuilt app for Prime Video when watching the specific scene. Motion smoothing ON in both cases.

So External tv stick may help to remove some of the nuances, but its personal preference with all these settings. The minor issues will be present in all TVs anyway, and nothing major with this TV as far as i see.
This here clearly proves it was judder( which stopped when using the fire TV stick) and not only stutter as it would have happened with the fire TV stick too. The panel doesn't magically changes when you plug in a fire TV.

As expected when you switched the resolution to auto frame rate fire TV sends a true 24hz signal ( not masked under a processed 60hz) at 1080p which this TV is capable of displaying at 120hz with a 5/5 pull down when it's 1080p. Hence the judder goes away( stutter might remain)

I wanted to check if there was some issue with the native app's frame rate processing instead of the panel as there should be no judder on 120hz panel hence I suggested using a fire TV with auto resolution and it seems there definitely is.

That's weird. It should be in HDR mode with YouTube and not Dolby Vision. YouTube doesn't support DV.

I know Xiaomi was bad with software after seeing MIUI but this is on next level.

I'm hoping this is an HDR show?

Can you show me what your firestick display settings are? There seems to be something very wrong happening here.
Here are the settings of my firestick
20210609_063936.jpg

And here is the 4K video on Firesrick YouTube

20210609_064226.jpg

Hi thanks for explaining, I tried again.
Attached is the type of refresh rate available in this TV.
I have some questions.

1. I am getting 12 bit depth in RGB color space in SDR, how is it possible? My display has become very saturated.
2. My resolution as attached in one of pic is 4096*2160. How is it possible?
3. Enabling HDR is making my TV washed out. How to implement that?
1. SDR has no limitation or relation to bit-depth. You can have 6, 8, 10 or 12-bit depth with SDR. It shouldn't make the display more saturated though unless the TV is not following sRGB colour space. There must be something in TV settings that is making it switch to BT.2020 I guess.
Also, Nvidia Pascal (10xx) cards and below don't support 10-bit I think. So they can only output 8 or 12-bits. This is fixed with Turing (20xx cards).
2. This might be a bug. Does the image go out of bounds (windows button being half cut)?
3. Yeah, Windows HDR is pretty bad as it doesn't tone-map to SDR correctly. You can either set your application to automatically enable HDR when played (possible with MPC-HC and MadVR) or just enable it when viewing content.

The good thing is that as you can see, even the Mi Q1 does support 119.88 Hz as I said and can do perfect 5:5 pulldown on both 23.976 and 24 Hz content. This is a fairly basic thing and manufacturers have figured it out for a while.
Here are the settings of my firestick
View attachment 57850

And here is the 4K video on Firesrick YouTube

View attachment 57852
Those settings are wrong. First of all your dynamic range settings should be on Auto, not 'Always HDR'. This is causing your YouTube to display DV instead of HDR10.

Also please switch to 4k/60 forced on Video resolution. That should give you HDR10 on YouTube/Netflix while getting resolution to 4k.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back