Yamaha AVR owners thread

That's what I said, remove the set top box hdmi from AVR and then try using HDMI ARC. Same problem I am facing, when I connect set top box HDMI to AVR, my ARC and CEC don't work.
I removed everything like dth, firestick, optical and tried again but the result is same. With optical am not getting the desired output, i need to fix this arc thing. Pls help.

I'm quoting my own post from a different thread:

In most commercial AVRs, I've seen that they omit ac earth line altogether (including my Yamaha A810). Check the IEC socket at the back of your AVR. It should show 2 pin AC line input. This is potentially dangerous in my opinion. I did some little trick to my power line of the AVR. What I did may not be called audiophile grade but I did it anyway. I've taken a cable and shorted the earth line with the chasis. Please take a look at the photos. I think this will solve some power related issues in future during power on/off time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZQZUAZfDza7r7AsMA

Guys when i switch on or off the receiver. There is click sound from the receiver. Is it normal. Does ur receiver make that sound? Today only i buy

Basically, HDMI 13th pin get used for controlling the CEC signal..since most of the DTH don't have CEC here, reciever gets confused with DTH and disables the CEC along with ARC on AVR resulting nothing to work.
Cud be... But after I disconnecting everything and changing the cable and after ensuring that ARC is working I reconnected everything. Now everything is flawless and gr8. My DTH, TV, Firestick everything is working without any hiccups through HDMI. Earlier I depended on Optical cable. But when I recently changed my Optical cable to Amazon Toslink cable, I observed a lot of loss in quality of audio, not sure if that is due to the quality of optical cable or anything else caused this. Then I thought I need to fix this ARC thing and it worked.

My experience with ARC and both my Yamaha receivers has been a hit or a miss. Sometimes it works flawlessly, while sometimes it just doesn't turn on. However I found out that if I switch off the power to all my HDMI enabled devices and then switch them back on at the same time, then ARC always works. However that is not very convenient and hence I switched to using an optical cable between the TV and the receivers for 5.1 surround sound.

Hi Everyone,

Writing to my solution in which HDMI ARC and CEC control was not working till now.

Today I disabled/removed the 13th pin of HDMI connector cable which was connected to my Dish TV setup box and everything working now flawlessly. I can control volume of my AVR from TV remote and even switching between TV OS (Android) and last HDMI input happens automatically. For example if I am viewing setup box from AVR HDMI 2 and if select USB play/ YouTube from my TV OS it switches to ARC automatically and if I select again HDMI 3( TV's where my AVR connected) it switch back to last selected input on my AVR which is set top box.

Thanks again everyone for valuable input.

hi all .... can you help me to get 5.1 upmixing in my Yht196 amp please ....
After powering the amp, when i press the SUR DECODE button in the remote it shows the options as PRO LOGIC, PLII MUSIC, PLII MOVIES & PLII GAME.

But the moment I start playing any movie from youtube, the PRO LOGIC options disappear, and only STRAIGHT appears.
Even if I press the SUR DECODE button in the remote, only STRAIGHT appears.
So basically im getting only two channel audio. Center and surrounds are not working.
can you help please ....

There must be another options on remote like music/movie dsp which also converts 2ch to 5.1.
MOVIE button has options like Adventure, Sports, Mono, Sci-Fi etc etc
MUSIC button has options like Chamber, Cellar, Hall in Munic etc etc
Both options I tried, still im getting 2 channel only.
When I play blueray rips, all channels work perfectly.
Test tones work perfectly.

The most frustrating point is ...
Few days back I got 5.1 from Youtube as well. But now im getting only 2 channel.
I don't think I fiddled with my desktop audio settings lately ....
im unable to figureout where the problem is ....

Well.... When I play youtube via Kodi, 5.1 upscaling is working. Kodi is in bitstream mode.

So there should be some issue with my pc audio settings

Hi All,
Need a small help. My Yamaha RX-V371 is not starting. I have followed the procedure of pressing power + input source button as suggested by the manual / few youtube videos. I'm guessing the transformer is faulty. Is there any service shop in Bangalore where this can be repaired.
Vector (where I purchased it from) have moved their shop from Brigade road.
Also any estimate for transformer replacement, according to you?

Hi,
I had posted earlier(#1047) that my Rx 473 has gone into standby mode and not responding to any command. I located the Service Centre "SoundRex" in Kolkata, College Street, and took the AVR to them. Found the owner Mr Rajesh quite knowledgeable and a fine gentleman indeed. He also services Denon & Marantz. And my AVR? All it required was thorough cleaning of PCBs & contacts. As I was away for nearly three months and the AVR was lying unused, lot of dust and muck( due to rainy season) had deposited which was causing short circuiting.
Sharing just in case somebody lands in such situation.
--- vnmathur

Well.... When I play youtube via Kodi, 5.1 upscaling is working. Kodi is in bitstream mode.

So there should be some issue with my pc audio settings
In that case ,check pc audio out.l gues its sending data as 5.1 pcm with actually only 2 ch data and so avr not procesing it as stereo.
It can be pc or software.

In that case ,check pc audio out.l gues its sending data as 5.1 pcm with actually only 2 ch data and so avr not procesing it as stereo.
It can be pc or software.
Oops...a correction.
With youtube via Kodi bitstream, Avr is playing all challels. But channel separation is not like true 5.1.

It is upscaling like 5 channel stereo. Basically vocals are coming from all channels. Upscaling generally happens like that ?? Or it should be as good as true 5.1 with vocals from center alone? I have to check further.....

Oops...a correction.
With youtube via Kodi bitstream, Avr is playing all challels. But channel separation is not like true 5.1.

It is upscaling like 5 channel stereo. Basically vocals are coming from all channels. Upscaling generally happens like that ?? Or it should be as good as true 5.1 with vocals from center alone? I have to check further.....
True is hardly possible.If AVR as encoders like DD,then it can do better way.Just like asus xonar soundcard,it has dolby digital live upmixing.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back