Yamaha AVR owners thread

Hi
I have been using yamaha rx-v583. while playing movies with Atmos decoder information is showing "DD Atmos / DDTHD" instead of "Dolby Atmos" as enclosed in the image.
If atmos speakers are not connected to avr, it may show DDTHD.

Hi All

I recently upgraded my configuration to the above and noticed that when watching Netflix through my Nvidia Shield while I press the information button on the TV remote it states the sound is PCM. I have the shield selecting all sound formats . I also have a Samsung BD 4k player and that states the same PCM while the amp says Dolby or DTS etc....

Have I missed something as my RX-V673 always stated Dolby audio.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

I have been using Yamaha v585 for last one year in 3.1 setup. Planning to add surrounds. What could be a good VFM surround speakers that I can use with it?

I did a quick review of the AVR here:

I need a help, suggestion. The surrounding speakers are around 95 degree and 4 feet above ear level from sitting position. There are few things I am not sure of:

1. In my 5.1 setup, I get sound from all 5 speakers all the time I play anything from tata sky or prime. Is it how it's supposed to be?

2. While surround content plays as well, but there isn't that great surround feeling of bullet firing from side or cars going from one side to another. I get the feeling, but it isn't that prominent. However, surround sound tests from youtube play good with good effect.

3. When I am sitting in front of the TV, I get the feel audio coming straight, when I turn sideways, I feel the sound coming from the surround speakers. Is that usual with all of you?

Need your help/suggestion to my problem.
My AVR Yamaha RX-V479 has started to crackle since yesterday and its getting worse.
My set-up is simple - LG LED TV to Yamaha Receiver via Optical Cable
Below are the troubleshooting steps performed:-
1. Anything played on TV started to crackle, hence replaced optical cable but the crackling sound wont go away.
2. Played audio via airplay and found no issues, hence thought it has to do with the optical cable or the optical port in the receiver/TV.
3. Connected TV to Yamaha receiver via HDMi ARC and I thought this will fix the issue, but to my utter disappointment the crackling sound is heard in HDMI ARC, Aux, Bluetooth, Radio, AV1/AV2, Audio1/2 and now in AirPlay also.

Also another thing I noticed is that, the receiver switches off by itself when I switch it on and again I switch it on it stays stable (something that I observe for the first time along the crackling sound issue)

Now I'm seriously worried and suspecting something is seriously damaged inside and needs motherboard replacement or something. I did try to search for some solutions in Youtube but nothing helpful.

Please help what would be the best way to get this fixed.

My AVR Yamaha RX-V479 has started to crackle since yesterday and its getting worse.
1. Anything played on TV started to crackle, hence replaced optical cable but the crackling sound wont go away.
2. Played audio via airplay and found no issues, hence thought it has to do with the optical cable or the optical port in the receiver/TV.
3. Connected TV to Yamaha receiver via HDMi ARC and I thought this will fix the issue, but to my utter disappointment the crackling sound is heard in HDMI ARC, Aux, Bluetooth, Radio, AV1/AV2, Audio1/2 and now in AirPlay also.

Also another thing I noticed is that, the receiver switches off by itself when I switch it on and again I switch it on it stays stable (something that I observe for the first time along the crackling sound issue)

Now I'm seriously worried and suspecting something is seriously damaged inside and needs motherboard replacement or something. I did try to search for some solutions in Youtube but nothing helpful.

Cause can be TV digital out (optical/hdmi)as other sourc is working perfect.If turning AVR off without playing , then check if timmer/auto off is on.If it turns off while playing ,then heat can be an issue.You can check avr memory?history to find cause.In service manual, you can get method to check it.

Cause can be TV digital out (optical/hdmi)as other sourc is working perfect.If turning AVR off without playing , then check if timmer/auto off is on.If it turns off while playing ,then heat can be an issue.You can check avr memory?history to find cause.In service manual, you can get method to check it.

Thanks bro, I will look for AVR memory.
Today morning I powered it on and this time no audio at all, not even the crackling sound. One thing that I observed was that AVR has accumulated hell a lot of dust may be it could be due to that, will try to clean with the vaccum and see if it makes an difference

Any idea if v673 have overload protection circuitry to shutdown the avr? I am planning to use RBH sv6500 with this. I know it is not enough, but just need a temp avr till work from home ends

so whoevers interested.i had talked about leakage current in my avr rx-v685.i can now confirm that almost all models above 3073 that i checked at a dealers recently has this potential and this increases as u go up the ladder.i mean say from 3073(no voltage on body) to 685(3-4 V) to 880(5V).even their stereo amps.whereas sm as u may have seen on this forum in kolkata and mumbai i suppose dont have this issue on their 685's.i srsly dont understand whats happening.
so referring to the mail from yamaha i remember how their models they suggested dont have this issue and if its there its defective.i dont know wat to say.

Dear Friends ..
I am feeling slight electrical shock from the Yamaha R-N 303 network receiver is there any gorunding required for the unit?
It's having a grounding option with phono input but not having any normal gorunding point..
dude i can confirm.this is an issue with all their avrs upward of 3072.just lst week i confirmed at a dealers.its a defect i guess.go through this thread i had raised for mine and had virtualy fought with yamaha corporate team who behaved arrogantly.
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...nd-usb-port-in-india.80609/page-2#post-890092

these guys at yamaha can solve it by just going for a 3 pin plug.the ground loop etc is just crap.they are giving 3 pin plugs for the same model in UK as i guess its mandated by law.the problem is not that its there but that yamaha is continuously denying and moving around in circles even after having proof in front if their eyes

For last month or so I have been doing research for setting up a HT and yesterday, a relative gifted me a 'Yamaha RX-V485' from ooberpad. Can anyone recommend a good VFM speaker package for it, please?

looks like its hardware issue, please check with Yamaha authorized service dealer

For last month or so I have been doing research for setting up a HT and yesterday, a relative gifted me a 'Yamaha RX-V485' from ooberpad. Can anyone recommend a good VFM speaker package for it, please?

What is your budget for speakers? What type? Bookshelf / Floor standing / satellites?

looks like its hardware issue, please check with Yamaha authorized service dealer
from my personal exp dont go for polk S20s if music is ur main usage.movies/streaming its ok.
preferably go for qacoustics.havent heard them but one friend also suggested they are better.3020i or the 3030i but the 3030i is massive bookshelf it seems.
@Prodigy has often hinted that indiqaudio has great speakers.if u r near banglore do have an audition.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back