32 in LCD comparison

adder pls note this,you are right,BE3 is working better than Pany.

well one thing is the BE3 isn't has good as the BE2 PRO that we find in the sony X450 series, BE2 PRO shines in every test.but the upcoming X550A may have a BE3 pro version which is something to look out for.

well around 1.5lakh.according to rumours sony will no longer use RGB led but regular white led,but with more of them ,this probably will make it a bit cheaper.

Thanks adder,

In your opinion if one can afford it is it worth it and worth the wait? The usage is mainly SD content through TS+ fed through Denon 2309

Thanks adder,

In your opinion if one can afford it is it worth it and worth the wait? The usage is mainly SD content through TS+ fed through Denon 2309

well if u can wait then why not,samsung will also launch a series 9 LED lcd around the same time or before.
since the present LED tvs of samsung don't offer any performance advantage,only the upcoming samsung LUXIA 9 will have a local dimming LED like the sony.

Yesterday I was @ Sumaria & just saw Toshiba(dont know model as I was for short time)I found its SD scaling(DTH) was as good as Sony V550.
I compared with Sam too.Colours were rich on Sony & Sam may be due to higher contrast ratio.

Yesterday I was @ Sumaria & just saw Toshiba(dont know model as I was for short time)I found its SD scaling(DTH) was as good as Sony V550.
I compared with Sam too.Colours were rich on Sony & Sam may be due to higher contrast ratio.

Toshiba SD and HD resolution is quite good and I found that it has has one of the best sound as it uses SRS WOW technology. I am saying this because I purchased the Toshiba CV 500 Series 32 inch LCD and connected to Dish TV and resolution wise it quite good although we all know Dish uses a highly compressed signal.

If you can get a chance to audition the CV series then do so. The AV series is a bit oudated and would not recommend that...

Spiderman

Now it is time for another 32in comparison.Festival is just 1wk apart & everyone busy in analising LCDs.
Some poppular models this year can be-

Samsung-550, SonyV550, Panasonic X9/10, Hitachi L32A02A, LG LF20 &LH35. My comparison as follows-

Samsung550-
SD PQ= Samsung new series is better for SD upscaling,image is clear ,stable,colours balanced(even in 37in)
Still some sharpness missing & motion blurr is partially visible.
DVD PQ= It is better than SD with extra details.Nothing spectacular to add,but overall better.
HD PQ= HD is never problem with Samy any display.PQ is best with sharpness,accurasy,colour vivid.
Overall= 8.5/10

Sony 32V550- -
SDPQ = This year Sony has improved upscaling & results are better than last yr.SD looks promissing,but with poor source its not.
Some motion issue is vissible & occasionally sharpness less than Samy.Colours are natural.
DVDPQ= DVDp with component looks best ,but with composite sharpness get lowered.Overall PQ enjoyable,better than SD.
HD PQ= HDis again best & partially better than Samy.Colours are vibrant & no motion issue here.
overall= 8.5/10

Panasonic X9/10-
SD= SD upscaling fro these are better,but contrast & colours are not the best.Overall image looks pinkish shaded & white looks yellowish.
Edges are stable,no motion issue,still overall not best.
DVD PQ= DVD is far better than SD,still not the best comparing to others.Colours are not natuarl,motion better.Still missing something.
HD PQ= Images are soft,Colours improoved,Doesnt look better comparing to others.X9 cant accept 24/sec.
overall= 7/10

HitachiL32A02A--
SD= SD looks much sharper than any other mentioned LCDs here.Image clean,little 3Dness,motion has little problem,but stable image.
Colors looks darker than actual.ie.Pure Red & Grass green looks little darker.
DVD PQ= Image improoved with colours & detailing.Dark levels good too.
HD PQ= Best performance than any here.Colour shades still not neutral,but image is best.No motion issue,best black levels,Depth is lot with pure 3D effect.Blue(water)looks best .
Faces looks as if you are watching person from window.
overall= 9/10 impressive.

LG LF20-
SD= 1st time I have seen improved SD scaling from LG.Colours accurate,image stable ,no motion issue.
Better tha half LCDs here.
DVDPQ= Improved by 20% & very clean,image though not as sharp as Hitachi,but far better than others.
HD PQ= Improoved overall,sharp,clean,better motion.
overall= 7/10

LGLH35-
SDPQ= Best SD found here,better than almost all.Image very stable,almost nill noise,colours vibrant,natural,best motion handling(4ms)
Image looks better than 29in CRT probably.Repeat-Best for SD.
DVD PQ= DVD improoved by 30% & again best with image Q,movement,contrast ,It looks bright(backlight is powerfull)better than LF20.With full backlight setting LH35 was brighter than LF20 without disturbing overall image.
All colours are natual,sky looks perfect skyblue,skin tones accurate.
HD PQ= The best again.Its full HD.
USB= Fast to recognise mov.DIvx & Xvid was played with accurate without hanging.Colours best again.Motion handling better(Transporter 1 chase)I didnt expect such good Divx playback,highly impressed.
Dark details is very poor though.
overall =7.5/10

So according to me Hitachi can be winner in VFM segment & LG LH35 to follow.Others are almost same in performance & personal taste can make them best too.
So hope this may help you as its very difficult to get full Demo at one place.I might have visited atleast 7shops to get detailed demo with selecting differernt model at different place.

Cheers...

Updates-

Philips 5609 is too impressive,

SD- SD stuff is upscaled with stable image,Edges not very sharp,colours accurate,some may feel less vibrant,but if you see anything from camera & off camera,recordings looks with some extra colour in regular LCDs,Philips shows exactly what is present.
DVD PQ= DVD is much better here,image looks very natural & Theatre like,occassionally softness,but much enjoyable than LG.Dark scenes are much detailed than any other LCDs herer.Sharpness very natural.
HD PQ= On top of everything,flowing water is just natural without adding extra blue colour.Motion is equally good(with SD too)
USB = USB loading is not atomatic though but fast after manually selected.It read entire 3 movs in less than 15sec.Images again natural & theatrelike,it can also play Realmedia(10),I didnt have that time with me.

So if you are searching premium brand,Philips can be the best .

Last edited:
Thanks spirovious...thats a excellent comparison and might be come a yardstick for people like me who are wanting to buy a 32 LCD this season.

Just wanted to know the price brackets for the above models. I suppose they are not in the same bracket.

Like Sammy 550 is around 40K and Panny x9 is 30K

Also can anyone explain what are disadvantages of panny x9 which is not capable of playing 24 /sec HD

Great work spiro. Keep it up.
Somehow, even I have found the LG FHD models to be very good in displaying SD content. However, the experts insist that HD ready is better for SD than FHD unless it is Sony BE3 or Samsung series 5 and above. I am no expert. I only state what I see and my own view agrees with what you have written.
My only doubt is with Hitachi support so I'll stay away from it.

Updates-

Jazz,LH35 cannot read NTFS(USB),Scarlet 2.0 can.
LG announced 3yr warrenty on LCD,said buy Malaika electronics today.

Prices in short without exchange-

Samy550 = 39k(not sure as they are offering DVDp too)
PanyX9 = 30k( can further be reduced)
Hitachi = 29k
SonyV550= 43k(may not get discounted)
LF20 = 30k
LH35 = 32k(with exchange 21CRT)

Great work spiro. Keep it up.
Somehow, even I have found the LG FHD models to be very good in displaying SD content. However, the experts insist that HD ready is better for SD than FHD unless it is Sony BE3 or Samsung series 5 and above. I am no expert. I only state what I see and my own view agrees with what you have written.
My only doubt is with Hitachi support so I'll stay away from it.

Well logically converting SD to HDready(720p) need less efferts than FullHD.
But if you see even budget DVDp,it too can upscale SD to HD easily without issue.
Say LG DV-388 DVDp (3.5k) is reported to upscale better.Similarly LG new XD engine is doing better job.

Also can anyone explain what are disadvantages of panny x9 which is not capable of playing 24 /sec HD

24frames/sec is the actual way mov is shot.CRT usually plays it to 30frm/sec way.So if you observe closely mov seen os CRT looks faster than if you see in theatre.Bluray disc can play 24/sec format which 24/s capable TV handles smoothly.Pany X9 may not do.

Updates-

Just compared LG LH35 with Philips 5609,and philips really did well in SD.
Philips was marginally better than LG with fluid image,ie.Sharpness was just as needed.LG was sharper still compared to philips,dark sceens are better & detailed than LG.Even I compared same with 42size,here too Philips was better in overall images with HD.Water flowing was looking natural in Philips & LG was more sharp.

In short Philips model has 10%extra to admire.

Any Idea about Pana 32X15D.?

I checked Pany X15 with DVDp & DTH,nothing special & improovement over last yr.Infact I feel LX800 was better than X15.Colours are not natural with pinkish shade & white looks yellowish.100Hz doesnt seem to do much better than 50Hz LCDs.

Caution with Dark scenes-

Just checked in croma Narnia DVD with poppular LCDs.
I m shocked to see LG with any setting not showing details in Dark scene.
If you remember 1st scene with planes flying in night,I cld not see much in that scene except Head of pilot.
Other hand Philips 5609 was showing every details,I cld see ground from pilots place from air.Samy550 was doing equally well.Next was Sony V550.

Now its difficult to say which is better.Looking at these results,LG may not be called total winner here.Perhaps Samy550?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back