32 in LCD comparison

Well if you don't mind buying in the grey market the EX400 should cost around 30k.the EX300 should cost around 27k.

i wouldnt mind grey
but are you implying that these sony's would be a better buy than the others ive listed?

P.S i would rather buy with bill especially since the bill price i have is only 2.5k above the grey price

Well there will be considerable difference in price around 8k for EX400 grey vs official.

Well there will be considerable difference in price around 8k for EX400 grey vs official.

wow!

then that would tilt the scales

so would you avice the EX400 over all other listed options in this case
i.e the pana LX80
sammy b450c4
sony s550a

Pan X9 is real VFM.Even some Hitachi models are very clear(@ ezone),service need to be checked(Hitachi India is there)

spiro how much does the philips 5409 go for
i was checking out the features and its almost the same as the sony EX300 with usb and pip
im considering the following seriously with the SOny EX300
Pana 32LX80
Pana 32LE8
Samsung 32B450C4
Sharp LC32A33M

all the above i can get at about 28k except the sony which i cant get lower than 31.5

Btw
how come you didnt consider sony EX400 vs your 5609 purchase?

P>S please dont quote aspect ratio differences - these are getting to be like PMPO watts nowadays every company has its own calculations)

Last edited:
Sony EX is new model(not there that time),I compared Phil with Sony V550.I was close to buy Sony,but I found Philips was cheaper, PQ was equal/better(with SD too), multimedia USB, natual colour & went for it.

Guys,

I need some help and direction. I need to upgrade from a 22" LCD TV in my bedroom. The TV will be placed right opposite to a window.
We had a CRT before and the glare was huge problem, the glare ofcourse got minimized once the 22"LCD came into picture. The viewing
distance is about 8 feet and the 22" seems to be too small, hence the urge to upgrade to something like 32 or 37 or 40. Majority of the
usage would be on SD content only. I would say about 10% max would be HD.

My budget would be around 30 - 35 k. The Panny 42C10 plasma is around my budget and I am very much interested in that. However I am
worried about the glare. If there would be glare with plasma, I would stay away from it.

Coming to LCDs, what are my options?. What would be the best bet given that majority of usage would be SD content (Hathway) and
little HD via AC Ryan. I dont need the TV to play sound. I have my z5500 for that purpose.

Any help?.

Thank you.

BTW any idea where I can buy Sony in grey market in Hyderabad?.

Magma: I didnt extensively check sony so wont comment. In my reviews, Philips was very good in colour and black level reproduction. My first pref for VFM woulld be Philips, Pana models, colour repriduction is fantastic but black levels are bad. So its a matter of preference, my vote is for Philips provided service is not a headache.

Magma: I didnt extensively check sony so wont comment. In my reviews, Philips was very good in colour and black level reproduction. My first pref for VFM woulld be Philips, Pana models, colour repriduction is fantastic but black levels are bad. So its a matter of preference, my vote is for Philips provided service is not a headache.

is "service" a headache in philips
(i live in south mumbai")
i havent researched them so im not aware of this issue

you would personally pic the pana and phillips over the samsung and sharp am i correct ?

P.S anyone know how much the philips 5409 goes for ?
i know the MRP but knowing that is just useless
Also i think vijay sales and ezone dont stock philips so ill have to find a philips shop in mumbai....(cant bargain hard with these official showrooms :sad: )

philips will begin to launch their 2010 models,the 5409 at 32k isn't a such a good deal,when one can get the philips 5609 for about 33k to 35k.
No point in getting the 5409.
If i were you i would get the EX400 in the grey market.

philips will begin to launch their 2010 models,the 5409 at 32k isn't a such a good deal,when one can get the philips 5609 for about 33k to 35k.
No point in getting the 5409.
If i were you i would get the EX400 in the grey market.

thanks for the heads up adder.On your advice i have been scouting my grey cntacts! (ive actaully found a couple who are offereing at the price you stated)

adder no doubt the ex400 would be best for 30-31k in grey
i was only wondering why i should get the EX400 which is a full HD model and not the EX300 which is hd ready

i think ALL other features except the resolution remain the same

so i was wondering that for my application of only STB and dvdrips if i wont see any diff between the full HD and HD ready at 8-10 feet why not get the EX300 with bill for 31k ?

Last edited:
Hi Magama,

Yes this was my decision too. Decided on the EX300 with bill (32 K in blore) as against a grey buy of ex400.

i saw the philips pfl 5409 today
i must say it impresses most
its got some of the best features ive seen.Picture clarity is alos top notch
In my opionon i think it betters what pana samsung and LG offers in the approx 30k price bracket

as for the sony and the philips(and for that matter even a samsung or an LG) there is a big difference in color rendering
its totally how you see it

the phillips colors are far more vivid and striking

when you see them side by side at first watcing STB , the philips stands out with its colors, this nudges you into thinking the philips is sharper
however this is not the case ( the word sharper stands for detail at least for me)
the sharpness in both are equal! its the color rendering that different

(P.S this color rendering cannot be adjusted by the settings so please dont even try going into that area its just how sony likes to have its colors rendered)

the sony has a sofer tone - i would say its closer to a CRT tv

as for the philips it is in my opinion one of the best budget LCd's

in conclusion
philips or SONY
well thats a difficult one and it depends solely on your definition and take on each ones color reproduction

Is Philips still in the market?
I can't see any Philips model anywhere in East Bangalore.

For Panasonic, does the 3yr warranty matter w.r.t. 1yr from all other companies?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back