Budget I2S streamer available in India?

vbutani

I am looking for budget I2S streamer without DAC which support LAN, DLNA/UPNP, Spotify, Tidal and Apple Music. I will be connecting it to my I2S supported DAC. My budget is around 15-20k INR. Please advise.

Thanks.

I am looking for budget I2S streamer without DAC which support LAN, DLNA/UPNP, Spotify, Tidal and Apple Music. I will be connecting it to my I2S supported DAC. My budget is around 15-20k INR. Please advise.

Thanks.
Which is the DAC

It seems like no streamers with i2s output are available in the mentioned price range. Pi2AES was there, but it is discontinued (If you can find a used one, then it is the best). Your best bet is a decent streamer like Allo USBRIDGE along with a USB digital interface like this (Not sure about the complexity/performance of this setup).
1655050885500.png
If you can increase your budget, then SMSL SD-9 is another option, which is available in India.
Also, if you are open to use the other inputs (Coax/optical/USB) of your Pegasus DAC rather than i2s, then there are plenty of options available at your budget.

It seems like no streamers with i2s output are available in the mentioned price range. Pi2AES was there, but it is discontinued (If you can find a used one, then it is the best). Your best bet is a decent streamer like Allo USBRIDGE along with a USB digital interface like this (Not sure about the complexity/performance of this setup).
View attachment 69968
If you can increase your budget, then SMSL SD-9 is another option, which is available in India.
Also, if you are open to use the other inputs (Coax/optical/USB) of your Pegasus DAC rather than i2s, then there are plenty of options available at your budget.
On which website did you find this? Thanks.
anyone tried this RPi Hat for streaming
View attachment 69970
This looks similar to the Pi2AES board. Where did you find this?
Thanks.

Even if you managed to order on Aliexpress, they impose heavy custom duty on it. It is better to skip the Aliexpress.

Thanks.
This is what I know. Others might have other options.

1. Topping M50 - $229 from various sources. It has I2s but no LAN. It does have DLNA via Wifi.

2. iFi Zen Stream - At $399 (Rs. 35k from Headphonezone), it's not cheap. It has LAN but no i2S. For power, you should use the iPower from iFi. The SPDIF output is good, but if you are interested in the USB output, you will need the associated iDefender+ and iSilencer+ (add Rs. 10k for these).

3. SMSL SD 9 -At $399, it's the same price as the Zen Stream (Rs. 37k from Headphonezon), but it has both i2s and AES/EBU as well as a LAN port. It is, however, known to be buggy, especially with the Hiby music app and Airplay. Besides, the user interface is not as well presented as the iFi.

4. Cayin iDAP6 - At $699, it's expensive (Rs. 50k at Headphonezone). It has all the features you need, but there is no real feedback. No idea if the user interface is well made and no idea of any bugs in the implementation of network streaming.

5. Pi2Design Mercury Streamer V2 - at $699, it's the same price as the Cayin above and should be stable as it is based on the RPi CM4. The Allo USB Signature (no i2S) is based on the RPi CM3 and is still very good, so the Mercury should be a step up from the Allo.

6. Above $700, the Matrix Audio products ($900, $1100, etc.) become viable.

If you can get hold of a used raspberry pi, then this would be your best bet.
Total cost will be well within your budget.

That's a wonderful idea. Do you think it could work with an Allo USBridge? The USBridge is available in India from Fabtolab.

That's a wonderful idea. Do you think it could work with an Allo USBridge? The USBridge is available in India from Fabtolab.
It provides the GPIO port inside. But you will have to mod the case so that the unit fits properly.

I have fitted kali board, piano 2.1 dac on the usbridge and they work without any issue becuase the usbridge provides access to the standard GPIO connector inside.

Last edited:

It provides the GPIO port inside. But you will have to mod the case so that the unit fits properly.

I have fitted kali board, piano 2.1 dac on the usbridge and they work without any issue becuase the usbridge provides access to the standard GPIO connector inside.

What about the ports then? Did you drill the holes?
@navin advani: You can go this route. But if you don't want i2s, then usbridge would be good enough.

What about the ports then? Did you drill the holes?
@navin advani: You can go this route. But if you don't want i2s, then usbridge would be good enough.
That was done just to test and as a POC to prove that any card compatible with RPI3 will function if fitted on the usbridge GPIO port. I have very bad wood working and metal working skills. But anyone else can easily remove the back alumunium plate and drill holes for the RCA connectors after doing some accurate measurements.

That was done just to test and as a POC to prove that any card compatible with RPI3 will function if fitted on the usbridge GPIO port. I have very bad wood working and metal working skills. But anyone else can easily remove the back alumunium plate and drill holes for the RCA connectors after doing some accurate measurements.
Great! You are a true RPi guru, both hardware and software.

I got good feedback about it in other audiophile group. It is comparable to PI2AES dac!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back