Commonwealth Games in HD

dgtl887

I've read a lot about the government broadcasting the CWG in HD. Does anyone know how this will work out ? I mean, there are only a few months left and I've heard nothing about any steps taken by any agency. Will the normal cable waala broadcast it, or will any DTH company do so ? What exactly is the deal ?

PS: I had asked this same question to Airtel and Tata Sky CS people. Suffice to say my interaction with them was less than helpful. The lady in Airtel CS didn't know what HD was...

I think the New Delhi is prepared for only one event in CW games as of now that is marathon and about HD broadcasting they said it will be broadcasted but no body said that we will be able to see it.
Thanks.

DD is supposed to be broadcasting it through their DTH, not sure if anyone will be buying it

Was there an article giving that info ? If so, could you link it ?
If it is only tx through DD's DTH, it'll be a pretty big failure. Will this year's budget contain anything related to HDTV's or HD broadcasting, you think ?

@mahiruha

"Broadcast" means to transmit to a number of people. Not to say that you're wrong though. I suppose we'll find out soon enough. :sad:

BTW, broadcast in HD is a mandatory requirement for all common wealth games and as DD is the official broadcaster so has to broadcast the signals in HD.
Not to be nit picky, there is no requirement for broadcasting period, let alone in HD. What is required, is for the Host country (official broadcaster) to provide HD coverage of all the events and to provide a live HD feed of the coverage to all participating countries.

@sud

Thanks for linking that article. It was extremely helpful.

Is there any word on DD supplying STB's or upgrading their facilities since the article was written ? Watching the Commonwealth Games in HD would be pretty awesome (not to mention, it would facilitate the football WC in HD as well).

so basically so long as coverage and production is in HD, DD is safe, and this by no means translates to us being able to watch anything in HD, unless we're in the UK or Australia or wherever.

Not to be nit picky, there is no requirement for broadcasting period, let alone in HD. What is required, is for the Host country (official broadcaster) to provide HD coverage of all the events and to provide a live HD feed of the coverage to all participating countries.

?I want to transform DD into a premier entertainment & news broadcaster?

Hoping to cash in on the upcoming Commonwealth Games (CWG) telecast coverage, Aruna Sharma, director-general, Doordarshan
, is aiming for a makeover. In a candid chat with our correspondent, she shares glimpses of her vision for transforming Doordarshan from a procedure-centric entity to an outcome driven premier entertainment and news broadcaster in the next few years. Excerpts:

Have you signed a deal with SIS Live of the UK for high definition (HD) coverage of Commonwealth Games? If so, why is it taking time?
Everything has been sorted out. The deal should be inked in a day or two. Some administrative changes and approvals and consultations are required. SIS Live will handle the production coverage of the Games and train 300 Doordarshan staffers. Let me underline that financials of the SIS contract have not changed.

How are you planning to leverage the Games?
We will have a dedicated HD channel DD India that will carry the feed of CWG in HD format. The HD channel will be available on DD Direct Plus, our free-to-air DTH service. The coverage will also be available in standard definition formats. We are in talks with cable operators in Delhi and Mumbai who have promised to upgrade their cable infrastructure to carry DDs HD channel on their network. Consumers of DD Direct Plus will be required to buy a higher-end set top box to enjoy the HD transmission of CWG.

Posted bits relevant to the CWG.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back