Entry-level Floorstandings + AVR

anubisX

Hello, back after long time with a query. I'm shifting to new room next month. The room's getting smaller, 15' x 14' but the position is very nice. So I'm planning to get a pair of floorstanding speakers and AVR. My budget is quite skinny :p not more than 50K (may be 10K more if that makes huge difference). I do 60% music and 40% movies. So feel free to pour in your valuable suggestions. I'll be heading out for auditions soon but will also appreciate your recommendations. :)

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Look for related posts under what should I buy to get some ideas....depending on which city you are located, audition with your kind of music.....

Alternatively, if budget is low, look in the For Sale by Owner or Hi Fi Ads....there is good stuff....all the best

I'm from Kolkata, if that helps. I was actually thinking of Sonodyne. Anyone here recommends getting Sonodyne rather than foreign brands ? Also, I see hike in price now and it seems major hike.

Visit ProFx in Dover Lane. Your budget will get you Polk and Denon. Look for Watteffects in Southern Avenue. Avoid Sonodyne very bad after sales nowadays.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. I'll definitely look into Denon and Polk. I thought ProFx shutdown their showroom in Kolkata :p

Btw, I talked to a guy at Sonodyne, Mani Sq. He told me that the Sonus 6504 will cost about 36.5K - 10% discount. He also told me that servicing of Denon and Marantz are not done in Kolkata anymore, have to ship to Delhi or Pune or somewhere else he said. He also told me that if I buy Denon or Marantz from Pro-Fx, they'll provide warranty and will take care of servicing.

How are these two AVRs ?? Pioneer VSX-330 and Yamaha RX377 / HTR-3067. How will these work with Sonus 6504 ?

AVR you mentioned are under powered , if you are planned for 2.1 channel alone , its ok . Other wise satellite speakers can do much with those AVR (5.1 channel)

The entry level Marantz amp or avr which outputs 50w rms @ 8 ohms load will beat them in sound quality as well as overall performance.

If budget is an issue, check For Sale by Owner section or Hi Fi Ads.

ProFx is very much there and if you need any help regarding purchase let me know,pm me. As for Sonodyne they haveived out of most malls in Kolkata. You can look at Yamaha Amos too at Raja Basanta Roy Road , provides good after sales support.

Thanks a lot. I'll definitely look into Denon and Polk. I thought ProFx shutdown their showroom in Kolkata :p

Btw, I talked to a guy at Sonodyne, Mani Sq. He told me that the Sonus 6504 will cost about 36.5K - 10% discount. He also told me that servicing of Denon and Marantz are not done in Kolkata anymore, have to ship to Delhi or Pune or somewhere else he said. He also told me that if I buy Denon or Marantz from Pro-Fx, they'll provide warranty and will take care of servicing.

Hi,
Is Sonus 6504 a new model?
I have been in constant touch with most of the Hifi dealers from Kolkata. I have bought 6 floor standers, 4 bookshelves, 2 sub woofers, 2 centre speakers and 3 AVRs from Kolkata in the last one month. Rest i ordered from Bangalore.
If you need any help regarding discounts on Sonodyne, Dali, Denon or Yamaha I guess i can give you the numbers of the concerned people ..
For Sonodyne, you can get 18-19%

I'm from Kolkata, if that helps. I was actually thinking of Sonodyne. Anyone here recommends getting Sonodyne rather than foreign brands ? Also, I see hike in price now and it seems major hike.

If we talk about the same price segment then mostly entry level foreign brands are offering less/or same as Sonodyne offers but they charge more (import duties/brand value etc could be the reason).

May be Sonodyne has raised the prices but with old prices, Sonus 2605 V3 was VFM product.

I think Sonodyne Sonus 2605 is an excellent product for the price. Only, i find it a little on the brighter side i.e. some one who listens to bollywood, electronic/edm etc would like it. The sound signature might not be favored by jazz or classical listener - a "warmer sounding" amp/avr like Marantz/CA might sort this out.
Audition and decide.

@Aanuj, thanks a lot. I'll definitely PM you about Pro-Fx.

@Triple Ace, LOL :p Sorry, that would be Sonus 2605 V3 and it's been for a while. I'll definitely PM you about the Sonodyne and other things.

@Prepress, you're right.

@Nindo, I'll surely audition. Marantz was my first choice but the guy told me that Marantz / Denon has no service centres in my city. Although bought from Pro-Fx solved the problem.

P.S, my room size is 15' x 14' so have to keep that in mind too. Bigger things might not show their capabilities in that room :(

Last edited:
@Aanuj, thanks a lot. I'll definitely PM you about Pro-Fx.

@Triple Ace, LOL :p Sorry, that would be Sonus 2605 V3 and it's been for a while. I'll definitely PM you about the Sonodyne and other things.

@Prepress, you're right.

@Nindo, I'll surely audition. Marantz was my first choice but the guy told me that Marantz / Denon has no service centres in my city. Although bought from Pro-Fx solved the problem.
Haha
I bought 2 sets of 2605 V3 and IMO they are real value for money. Took an audition in their warehouse and Mr. Mandal of Sonodyne was kind and patient enough to answer my numerous questions and play my content ..

Keep in mind that Sonodyne is planning to introduce a new series of Sonus line this month including atmos modules .. My friend who happens to be a big time Sonodyne fan sent me the pics of the new speakers and they look awesome. They will come in black colour most probably.

Good luck!
Regards,
Sailaza

Wah Bhai Wah !! I'm not buying anything before October so I have time. I'm also sure with the new models, the price of the older models will go down a bit. You can share the pic if you want, at least in the PM :p

Hi anubisX,
I also love music on Sonodyne, one of my cousin brother purchased Sonodyne Amp+Speakers on year 2004, and that time we really enjoyed it. Currently I am also planing to buy Amp+Speakers within 20 to 25k. can I get Sonodyne in this range?
I am planing to visit Chandni Chowk at Kolkata for audition some local brand also. In Patna I am not able to find any showroom for good setup, all are having HTB or 2.1 systems.

Any FM who has done a comparo of Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 and Polk Rti A5 - though not in exactly the same price range, but considering Sonus 2605 is going around 40k and Polks A5 can be had at around 47-48k (after bargaining and discounts), put them a little bit in the same ballpark - would like to have inputs.

Wah Bhai Wah !! I'm not buying anything before October so I have time. I'm also sure with the new models, the price of the older models will go down a bit. You can share the pic if you want, at least in the PM :p

Haha
I have the pics .. Sending you a PM ..
Cheers,
Sailaza

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back