Entry-level Floorstandings + AVR

Sorry, I was busy with work so no audition and no reporting.

I did a new audition of Dali Zensor speakers again at SKS and this time they hooked them to Marantz PM5005. My my my, I was blown away with the Zensor 3s. Zensor 5s are definitely powerful but for that extra 20K, I would rather stick with Zensor 3. I had previously demoed the Zensors with Cambridge or some other amplifiers and I didn't like it, felt like something is holding the mid back and the lows sounded muddled. I'm very much impressed with the sound quality of the Zensor 3 + Marantz.

They also had Triangle FS which they offered at 45% discount as they've stopped doing business with Triangle, ~70K was the quote. They also had Cambridge Audio speakers which didn't sound like the Dalis and they told me to stick to Zensor 3 as Cambridge speakers are made in China and they cannot guarantee the quality like they can with the Dalis. They stopped business with Tannoy and Wharfedale too for the same reason, cheap driver material, too many complains.

I'll soon audition Pioneer FS52 AJ speakers and will report back.

So any more suggestions ??

Last edited:
A friend of mine have Rotel RA-971 MkII, still in box and asking 20K for that. Should I pick that up or go for Marantz 5005 ? Speakers, not decided yet but I loved Z3s.

Hi

Compare the specs side to side and decide which amp to consider...also consider the warranty aspect....

In terms of speakers, if you feel the Z3s are good, please go ahead......

A close performer would be the Polks RTiA1s which have Bi AMP powering capability.....also ProFX ropes in discounts on their products.....

If you are so much impressed with the combi of Marantz 5005 + Dali Z3's, I wonder why should you have thoughts, untill unless you are not able to audition other combinations, please stick to the one which impressed you.

I am sure whatever combination you are going to audition, you will have end up comparing the Marantz 5005 + Dali Z3's combi. Wont you :p

Booked the Marantz 5005 for 24K (company offer or such as per SKS). Now, thinking of the Dalis and Elacs :D

It is prudent and important to hear a combination before you buy one. Zensor 3s are one of the best at this price point, add a decent DAC later to give the combination a stellar upgrade.
Will it be possible for you to audition the Elac with Marantz? If you can then and then only choose one over the other.

You're right. I will be able to hear the 5005 with Elac and then only I will book. But I think Z3 sounds just right enough. I will need a DAC as I will also use these set up for my computer. I don't have enough budget for a DAC now, might buy a simple one for now. SKS suggested the CD5005 as it has DAC in-built (quoted 25K) although not recommended. Recommended that I go for simple set up for now and get a dedicated DAC later. What do you suggest ?

Of course, Murli :) Now, I need to get a DAC, a CD player, 2 stands. Any suggestion ? I don't have enough budget.

Couldn't find Taga DAC or CD Player in India, HiFiMart only stocks their speaker and amps :(

Last edited:
You're right. I will be able to hear the 5005 with Elac and then only I will book. But I think Z3 sounds just right enough. I will need a DAC as I will also use these set up for my computer. I don't have enough budget for a DAC now, might buy a simple one for now. SKS suggested the CD5005 as it has DAC in-built (quoted 25K) although not recommended. Recommended that I go for simple set up for now and get a dedicated DAC later. What do you suggest ?

What is your budget for DAC+CD player or DAC/CD player?

Nnot really sure, 15-20K ?! As less as possible. Basically, will play CDs and speakers will also serve as computer audio too.

Last edited:
Do look at used equipment then, keep an eye on the For Sale section.
Look at this: MUSICAL FIDELITY V-DAC 2 digital to analogue converter | eBay

I recently got one used from UK, tremendous value for this little price. Will come to about 15-16K with import duties and all.
A couple of other options is Schiit Modi 2 Uber and iFi Micro USB DAC.

IFI Audio Micro Idac High Definition USB DAC Desktop Headphone Amplifier | eBay

Actually there are too many options when it comes to DACs, it is easy to get confused and so very important to do your proper research and read to understand what a DAC does and how it should do it, then take your call.

That V-DAC II looks nice (read reviews) but the seller won't ship outside UK :( Not sure if he'll ship to PO Box address. Micro iDAC is out of my budget. Between Modi 2 Uber and Modi 2, other than more inputs and power supply, is there any difference in performance and output ?

Last edited:
One thing though, more inputs mean more options. If USB shows any problem, one can always use the optical or coaxial.

About the power supply, does USB powered DAC or devices give any kind of noise ?

That V-DAC II looks nice (read reviews) but the seller won't ship outside UK :( Not sure if he'll ship to PO Box address. Micro iDAC is out of my budget. Between Modi 2 Uber and Modi 2, other than more inputs and power supply, is there any difference in performance and output ?

You will not really be able to get it shipped directly to you, one has use freight forwarding services like Borderlinx / Aramex Shop and Ship. How it works is very simple, once you register with them they will give you a US address, buy the item and get it shipped to this address. They will notify you once the item reaches, log in pay the duties and shipping charges and in about 7 days the item is delivered to you. I have imported 2 DACs this way.

Finally bought Wharfedale 10.5 towers for my home theatre yesterday. The total damage is 43000/...Have selected polk Csi-A6 as centre speaker. Final price after discount was 21000..I will be pairing it with my Yamaha RX-V 675. Will be setting up the system this week by the dealer.
Regards
Dilip

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back