Entry-level Floorstandings + AVR

Boston Acoustics A26 will pair well will Marantz. Try to have its audition too. They are cheaper than Dali and other most of the brands and are equivalent in terms of sound output and build quality.

Getting quality AVRs in cheaper price from outside India(without any warranty) through online sites. Is it worth a purchase to loose the warranty for 10-12K or so...? Can anybody suggest something....I'm in hurry to purchase one to match up my Taga speakers.

Thanks

Getting quality AVRs in cheaper price from outside India(without any warranty) through online sites.

Which model? What is the price? Link please..

Is it worth a purchase to loose the warranty for 10-12K or so...? Can anybody suggest something....I'm in hurry to purchase one to match up my Taga speakers. Thanks

Have you considered grey market? It should also cost the same as international price or even less..

Which model? What is the price? Link please..

Through Amazon.com....few sellers there ready for India shipments. No need to give a link...elangoas. See yourself....you gonna find plenty of options....not only AVRs....Subwoofers and Speakers also.

Anybody else have got any any experience with this type of deals....please share.

Thanks

I am from Kolkata....here we don't have a grey market for quality audio/video products. If I have to contact grey market dealers fro other cities....the issue remains same....."Are they trustworthy..?"

whatever is available here in my city....all through big showrooms with hiked price than online sites....I can definitely take audition.....but when the same product is lesser on online why should I not consider that as a good option..!!

You can check Metro Gali, Esplanade if company warranty is not an issue. I've checked Amazon myself but at the end of the day, price comes quite close to market price after paying duties. I don't think it's worth the risk for 1-2K. If the difference is like 10-12K then definitely take the plunge. Audition here and get from there.

I have another query and that's about bookshelf stands. Is it possible to mount the speakers on wooden logs instead of metal stands ? Have anyone tried that ?

I am a new entrant onto this forum of Audio experts and still to get used to the different verbatim used by audiophiles> I have to state with my experience that I once visited a Hi-end Audio shop and was given an audition for Mission Mi4 Floor standing speakers coupled to a Velodyne Sub-woofer and a Stereo Amp by Atol, for me the sound was absolutely ear boggling. I started my search on the web and one of the audiophiles suggested me to go for a demo of XTZ Floor standings 95.44. I took the opportunity and visited a dealer who had quiet a good range of Floor Standers like Tannoy, Elac and the XTZ. I just carried some of my CD's (Lionel Richie and ZEHER). It was played initially on a combination of Cambridge Audio to Tannoy and Sub woofer from XTZ. It was amazing for a first timer, then the next session was the same combo but with XTZ Floor standing, the sound just blew me away, the Highs were so crisp and clear as if it was being played in front of you, the bass was punchy and tight, then came the ELACS and the quality just fell down to mediocre, the XTZ's were superb, I was spellbound, travelled to Mumbai (my home town) with the XTZ sound ringing in my ears from Pune to Mumbai. I made up my mind to have it in my home, come what may. The next day spoke to Surround Swar and clicked a deal for the XTZ 95.44 only as the Sub woofers were beyond my reach, I got a combo of XTZ 95.44 with Sub Woofer from SVS PB 1000 (Fantastic SUBs) and Cambridge Audio Amp CAX80 (Powerful). My listening likes and dislikes changed I started to enjoy all kinds of Music (English/Hindi/Tamil/Malayalam) classics, semi, movie songs and everything coming out of the XTZ 95.44 was absolute melody personified. The ribbons are "fantabolous" I am enjoying it everyday, everyday music has become a routine for the past three four months. Once my pocket swells then maybe a higher range of XTZ Floors and subs might occupy distinctive space in my living room. I will like to add that I will suggest the XTZ's to anybody without a blink or thought for that matter. Please enjoy it.

Hi can u share how much u paid for the xtz. What exact model and from where did u get them thanks.

Since this is a thread on floorstanders, I wish to ask a newbie question on Dali Zensor 5.
My dealer proposed this options for me and will arrange for an audition quite soon.

I started off with a requirement of of getting a 5.1 home theater (I do not have any amps or dacs or anything else - just a simple RPI as media center).
Auditioned Morels, JBL home cinema, Paradigm and Definitive.
All of them except JBL sounded sharp/ bright to me for both movies as well as music.

Now, I am thinking to drop the idea of 5.1 and just go with two good speakers and a 5.1 channel amplifier - which gives me room to add speakers later on one by one.

Does this make sense?
My dealer indicated that Zensor 5 should be less bright compared to the others I have listened so far and also I would not miss any subwoofer since Zensor 5 is sufficient.

My other problem is that I do not have a DAC in my house, and I am not sure if I will have any money left after Zensor 5 + a 5.1 channel amp.

Last edited:
Actually, I found Zensor 3 to be more than enough and saved there. If you really need floorstands and you've limited budget, Pioneer FS52 is good as reviewed by others here. Mission MX3 is another great pair.

As for the A/V Receiver, you can go with Yamaha or Pioneer. Models differ with different features and stuff, go accordingly.

As for the DAC, you can go with the Schiit Modi 2 Uber or SMSL M8 or Sanskrit.

What's your total budget ?

^I started with a budget of Rs. 50000 and all the dealers here told me that there are not many good options. They were able to convince me to increase the budget to Rs. 1 lac, though I have still not heard any system at that price which gives me the 'wow' feeling.

Considering the JBL home cinema costs Rs. 50000, for me to pay anything more, I need to see what extra I am getting for the extra money. None of the speakers which I have seen have a room filling sound - though they are loud.

I have so far, no plans to buy an expensive DAC, but assumed that the AVR has a good DAC inside it - I do not have so much space to keep a DAC and an AVR. Infact one reason to think of Marantz is the smaller footprint of their AVR thereby saving space.

Last edited:
Since this is a thread on floorstanders, I wish to ask a newbie question on Dali Zensor 5.
My dealer proposed this options for me and will arrange for an audition quite soon.

I started off with a requirement of of getting a 5.1 home theater (I do not have any amps or dacs or anything else - just a simple RPI as media center).
All of them except JBL sounded sharp/ bright to me for both movies as well as music.

Now, I am thinking to drop the idea of 5.1 and just go with two good speakers and a 5.1 channel amplifier - which gives me room to add speakers later on one by one.

Does this make sense?
My dealer indicated that Zensor 5 should be less bright compared to the others I have listened so far and also I would not miss any subwoofer since Zensor 5 is sufficient.

My other problem is that I do not have a DAC in my house, and I am not sure if I will have any money left after Zensor 5 + a 5.1 channel amp.
I wasn't quite impressed with Zensor 5, I'd instead vouch for Zensor 3 and save money. If you need still floorstanders in Zensor 5 budget, look for Polk RTI a5, Tsx 550t, Wharfedale Diamond 240 or Kef Q500 instead. Which will serve reasonably well for movies and sequentially adding other compatible speakers is quite a no brainer.

Zensor 7 is a much better option over zensor 5 if you want to stick with the Dali brand, and the smallish price difference is totally worth the upgrade.
Please specify your exact budget and intended usage scenario.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I wasn't quite impressed with Zensor 5, I'd instead vouch for Zensor 3 and save money. If you need still floorstanders in Zensor 5 budget, look for Polk RTI a5, Tsx 550t, Wharfedale Diamond 240 or Kef Q500 instead. Which will serve reasonably well for movies and sequentially adding other compatible speakers is quite a no brainer.

Zensor 7 is a much better option over zensor 5 if you want to stick with the Dali brand, and the smallish price difference is totally worth the upgrade.
Please specify your exact budget and intended usage scenario.

Thank you for the inputs. I have no experience with floorstanders (yet) so I would definitely like to try them out.
Zensor 5 is around 55K for a pair; the RTI a5 is more than twice the cost. So, this is an unfair comparison. The other two are also more expensive than the Zensor 5, which perhaps is already a stretch for me for just two speakers. I need to keep some money for the receiver as well and would not be keen on crossing 1 lac (actually I am not sure if I would even notice anything magical by spending that amount of money.) The more I listen and read, the more confusing it gets.

I am upgrading from iBall solid wood 2.1 ch. powered speakers - so, everything is an upgrade for me.
I wasn't able to get a room filling sound with the 5.1 ch systems auditioned so far (with those tiny speakers mounted on walls), so now looking at two floorstanders with a 5.1 AVR which can work in stereo mode (perhaps with some virtual surround technology doing a bit of magic).
At the moment it is 50% music and 50% movies.

Thank you for the inputs. I have no experience with floorstanders (yet) so I would definitely like to try them out.
Zensor 5 is around 55K for a pair; the RTI a5 is more than twice the cost. So, this is an unfair comparison. The other two are also more expensive than the Zensor 5, which perhaps is already a stretch for me for just two speakers. I need to keep some money for the receiver as well and would not be keen on crossing 1 lac (actually I am not sure if I would even notice anything magical by spending that amount of money.) The more I listen and read, the more confusing it gets.

I am upgrading from iBall solid wood 2.1 ch. powered speakers - so, everything is an upgrade for me.
I wasn't able to get a room filling sound with the 5.1 ch systems auditioned so far (with those tiny speakers mounted on walls), so now looking at two floorstanders with a 5.1 AVR which can work in stereo mode (perhaps with some virtual surround technology doing a bit of magic).
If you are flexible on the towers part and on a limited budget, I would suggest to pick dali zensor 1 along with a sub woofer. As you go along, move the zensor 1 to rear. At this point you will have a much better idea as to what you need in your room, towers or bigger bookshelves. Since you would already be having a sub, zensor 3 would not be a bad choice.

You will always need a sub, no matter which speaker you buy, nothing will replace a sub, hence, in my opinion bookshelves is the way to go for a good 5.1 experience.

Yes if you are getting a great deal on a pair of tower that you just cannot let go off, then you should get them.

MaSh

I doubt where did you get the quote for RTI a5. Its cheaper than Zensor 5

https://m.ebay.in/itm/152363262338?_mwBanner=1

Check Profx which deals with Polk RTI in India, online prices in Amazon etc are usually inflated. Offline prices are much cheaper for many Hifi products.

BTW you can buy a decent 5.1 under 55k, if you consider Taga harmony series 5 speakers with Taga subwoofer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instead of spending a lot at one time, upgrade slowly.

First, buy the A/V Receiver first. Take your Receiver to audition or if they already have that model, try to audition speakers with that Receiver. If you listen to Music most of the time, you definitely should get a Stereo Amplifier. When you think of the 5.1 set up later, get a Receiver. Then get a Subwoofer, slowly a Center speaker and lastly a pair of Surround speakers.

Stereo Amplifier : Marantz PM5005 / PM6006, NAD 326BEE
Floorstanders : Boston A250, Pioneer FS52, Mission MX3, Sonodyne 2605 V3
Subwoofer : Sonodyne Roarr 108, Polk PSW110, Mission MS200
A/V Receiver : Pioneer or Marantz
Center : Sonodyne Avant C1, Wharfedale Diamond 220C, Dali Vokal, Elac C5, Mission MXC2
Surrounds (not very expensive) : Pure Acoustics RB6S, Sonodyne Genie 1, Q Acoustics 1010i

You can find good deals on A/V Receivers and Amplifiers here in the Classified Section or on HifiAds.com

Does this make sense?

Hi, this might help - I just auditioned all the Zensors last weekend for a friend and this is what I heard:
- As many others have said, Zensor 3 is good enough if you have a budget constraint. No point upgrading to the 5.
- The 7 is definitely a worthy upgrade over the 5s. The price difference is 12K. There is also a peculiar problem with the 5s - they're too short to be at listening height for most living rooms and too tall to be stand-mounted like the 3s. Needs a DIY stand!
- All of them are relatively 'bright' - especially the 5s. Am comparing them here to the Jamo E770s that I've had for years, Polk's RTI A series, KEF floorstanders (Q700, 900 and R300, 700 and 900) and Wharfedale's Diamond 10.5. If you have an already bright amp or music tastes that involve a lot of treble (think bollywood contemporary, 80s/90s pop, Dire straits), you may cringe at high volume. On the other hand, movies will sound terrific since you can hear every little detail even at normal home movie volume.
- Finally, no, the 5s do not have enough bass on their own for my liking (my friend who was out buying his first speakers also agreed). They need a sub.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back