Entry-level Floorstandings + AVR

Congrats
Hope the mismatch between front and centre does not make much difference while movie watching. Post pics later

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

@Shibasish, I've been doing S&S a long time and never had any bad xp with them. But the Customs did a lot of over-charging recently. They're taking the local price as reference and adding duties and taxes accordingly which totally defeats the purpose of importing. This has happened to me a lot of time and with S&S handling. I might as well settle with the Modi 2 Uber.

Hehehhe :) Shop & Ship by Aramex, just like PPOBox or ICCWorld, package forwarding services. I would prefer PPOBox over S&S any day now. Last time, my phone got confiscated by Customs along with other packages (handled by Aramex) for some red flags raised. Also, they calculated the duties and taxes as per Indian market price which totally defeated the purpose of importing. But never had any problem with missing or damaged packages.

But with PPOBox, never had such problem.

Try Borderlinx then, you can pay the duty upfront there and then forget about it. No chance of duties getting calculated at 'Indian prices' then.
It is by far the best deal you can get for electronics that do not weigh a ton.

Hmm. But I'm trying to find something locally. Someone sold his 1yr old Arcam rDAC for 20K and I lost my chance :((

Alright. Now, I need help with cables. PC to DAC to AMP to Speakers.
Should I get branded optical cable for PC to DAC ? I already have MX optical cable which seems fine although 4-5 yrs old.
About DAC to AMP, should I get DAC interconnect or some other brand will do ?
About AMP to Speakers, what cable do you recommend ? MX / Finolex / DAC speaker cable with DAC / Aurum banana plugs ?

Alright. Now, I need help with cables. PC to DAC to AMP to Speakers.
Should I get branded optical cable for PC to DAC ? I already have MX optical cable which seems fine although 4-5 yrs old.
About DAC to AMP, should I get DAC interconnect or some other brand will do ?
About AMP to Speakers, what cable do you recommend ? MX / Finolex / DAC speaker cable with DAC / Aurum banana plugs ?

For speaker cables you can save a lot of money if you go DIY. Finolex electrical cable spool 90m will get you about 45m of speaker wire.
2.5 sqmm wire is Rs 1800 per spool. 1.5 sqmm is a bit cheaper. Finolex also has speaker cables at a slight premium.
You can add terminations (banana or lugs) as necessary. MX and DAC brand interconnects are decent quality for the price.

Cheers,
Raghu

Oh.
Try to find a reliable local electrical contractor.
They will usually have leftovers from previous projects
-Raghu

We're having electrical wirings done on the 1st floor, may be we'll have some leftovers. I'm seeing 1 sq.mm and 2.5 sq.mm Finolex cable. So use that 2.5 sq.mm cables for speakers ??

Yes you can. Finolex electrical cables are good quality copper. Snatch some of the 2.5 sqmm cables. You can add terminations as necessary.
In my case I have not terminated them as both amp and speakers comfortably allow for bare wire connections.
If your current requirement is 3-4 feet per cable; make a cable that is 5-6 feet long to give you some future wiggle room.
Braid them lightly, so that they don't coil up.

Cheers,
Raghu

So you're using Finolex normal 2.5 sq.mm cable or their speaker cable ?? How is your audio experience using this cable ?

So you're using Finolex normal 2.5 sq.mm cable or their speaker cable ?? How is your audio experience using this cable ?

It is just wire to carry current. Completes an electrical circuit. Does not do anything special (expected behavior). Does not degrade sound either (also expected).
That is all there is to speaker wire. I don't believe in special speaker cables.

Cheers,
Raghu

That's what I was asking, if you've felt any deterioration in sound quality. Anyways, I'll use that if anything is left after wiring :D

HifiMart is offering Marantz PM6005 for 31K. I've bought the PM5005 and it's sitting foam-packed still as my room isn't ready yet. Should I get the PM6005 ?

I was hoping for the PM5005 + Schiit Modi 2 Uber and it'll cost me a lot. So if I get the PM6005, I'll save a lot. Please advice. Speakers are Zensor 3.

HifiMart is offering Marantz PM6005 for 31K. I've bought the PM5005 and it's sitting foam-packed still as my room isn't ready yet. Should I get the PM6005 ?

I was hoping for the PM5005 + Schiit Modi 2 Uber and it'll cost me a lot. So if I get the PM6005, I'll save a lot. Please advice. Speakers are Zensor 3.
Yes, you should get PM 6005. DAC used in PM 6005 is the same DAC that is in Marantz CD 6005. Besides, PM6005 plays very well when paired with Dali Zensor3.
So, go ahead....

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I already ordered the Modi 2 Uber. And I had the 5005 (still sealed) and was thinking of exchanging it for the 6005.

If you have already ordered M2U then you won't see any benefit from PM6005 other than increase in potential power.
I have used M2U with Norge, Yamaha and now using it with PM6005. Never felt any requirement of using built-in DAC, infect its better not to invoke built-in DAC if you have external DAC available.
Marantz + Dali are good combination, but try to explore ELAC B6 if possible with your AVR.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back