Fans of Television Series

Started Squid Game - 3 episodes down.

Concept of Death Games is not new. Characters are also pretty cliched. But, Drama is very taut. And reason behind the games is biggest suspense till now. Overall, Series is worth watching. How it transcends or fizzles out, Let's see.

P.S. I am sucker for Korean thrillers. They make some excellent ci

Started Squid Game - 3 episodes down.

Concept of Death Games is not new. Characters are also pretty cliched. But, Drama is very taut. And reason behind the games is biggest suspense till now. Overall, Series is worth watching. How it transcends or fizzles out, Let's see.

P.S. I am sucker for Korean thrillers. They make some excellent cinema.
I have watched Parasite, Memoirs of a Murder, Mother. Those r excellent movies. Any other movie u can suggest ?

Watched the following on Apple TV.

Vigil - A detective is sent to investigate a murder in a nuclear submarine — Vigil— and unearths a larger conspiracy involving traitorous seamen , peace activists , politicians and of course Russians. I have always been fascinated by submarine thrillers. The claustrophobia of the closed spaces , life as a well exercised drill , survival based on hide and seek games. My only quibble is that, sometimes these serials try to humanise their protagonists by giving us an insight into their personal lives through flashbacks etc , which according to my estimation , only serves as a distraction.

Departure — While Vigil dealt with intrigue inside the sea , Departure , is an investigation on a flight that vanishes midair. A lone survivor found floating on a dinghy in the ocean and the black box located in the ocean but proving difficult to retrieve hold the clue to the airplane’s mystery disappearance. A few red herrings and a surprise ending still not resolved makes for an engaging watch.

Acapulco— A middle aged millionaire reminisces to his nephew about his job in a Mexican resort. Colourful , breezy , humorous at times and preachy without being ponderous , it’s an ok watch if you are into this kind of stuff.

The Mallorca Files — A detective series that serialises the adventures of a pair of Spanish police detectives in Mallorca. The guy is German and his female partner an English. The gent is the goofy counterfoil to the hardboiled , methodical lady. The man is married but the writers tease with a subtle hint of romance. The plots are not riveting. But once again it’s a sunny , breezy adventure for those whose thing it is to watch exotic locales and a well dressed lady detective doing her thing.
Thanks, Can you include your ratings too? I try and glean this thread for good recommendations. However I am someone who doesn't like to know much about a movie or series before watching for surprise

Thanks, Can you include your ratings too? I try and glean this thread for good recommendations. However I am someone who doesn't like to know much about a movie or series before watching for surprise
Vigil : 3.5/5
Departure : 4/5
Acapulco : 2.5/5
The Mallorca Files : 2.5/5

Community College - Revolves around the antics of a study circle of friends in a Community College. But don’t let that fool you. The few episodes I have seen have been an absolute delight. Full of brio , self-referential humour and wit , it’s a very entertaining watch.

Suspicion on Apple TV+: The son of a lady who runs a powerful PR agency in the US is kidnapped in New York. 4 Brits are immediately flagged as suspects. Wonderfully fast paced thriller so far. One heck of an audio mix in Atmos, particularly with some lovely, little ambient stuff. BGM, especially for the title, is pretty nice too. Highly recommended!

Suspicion on Apple TV+: The son of a lady who runs a powerful PR agency in the US is kidnapped in New York. 4 Brits are immediately flagged as suspects. Wonderfully fast paced thriller so far. One heck of an audio mix in Atmos, particularly with some lovely, little ambient stuff. BGM, especially for the title, is pretty nice too. Highly recommended!
I had watched the original - False Flag (Kfulim) and posted about it here https://www.hifivision.com/threads/fans-of-television-series.21850/page-127#post-947153

Fame Game (Netflix): Madhuri Dixit is excellent as Anamika Anand, a leading Bollywood actress. She returns home late one night and then is found missing the next morning.

Pretty gripping series, this. Decent cast, well written dialogues and fast-paced screenplay.

BGM is epic (plenty of classical thrown in). And the Atmos audio mix is wonderful. Very nice use of ambient cues, including a couple of very classy ones that are subtle, but that make you go wow. Lots of music in the overheads that I subjectively enjoyed.

The missus and I binge watched all eight episodes over the weekend. Okay, okay. Mostly on Sunday. Highly recommended!

Not a big fan of Formula 1, but this Netflix series 'Formula 1 - Drive to Survive' got me hooked purely for it's rich sound production. Such a treat to watch it on a good stereo system, feels like the cars just zip past from your left speaker to right and the woofer comes alive on every crash shown.
End of the series, it made me a F-1 fan !!

Anatomy of a Scandal (Netflix): The story of a British minister's affair with his junior colleague is about to hit the press.

A show that revolves around the concept of consent and privilege, with an all-too brief (but still strong) dive into the issue of patriarchy. Utterly brilliant cast and some wonderful dialogues. You can legitimately poke holes in the story and screenplay, but the missus and I still found it a riveting watch. Plenty of moments of extremely dramatic audio and video. Wonderfully intense BGM and impactful bass that makes this (yet) another addition to the "streaming doesn't suck by definition" category.

Last week, I completed 'Tehran' Se1. Now waiting for season 2.

First 2 episodes now out. I'm going off extremely unreliable memory here, but this looks and sounds even better than S1. And the missus and I thought that was pretty good. While my room has changed a bit since then, I do wonder if a significant part of the difference is attributable to Apple TV+ bankrolling this from the outset as opposed to purchasing the rights for S1. They really do set the production standards for original streaming content, IMO.

The intro BGM is to die for. Rest of the BGM is well in tune with the action. On the basis of this series, I really ought to explore Middle Eastern music. And the audio mix is not too far off, either. Some of the realism in the audio is grin-inducing.

There's a scene where the ex-Iranian spy chief comes home to find his wife having dozed off in their couch while watching TV. He gently tries to wake her up. She runs one of her finger nails against his shirt. The sound of nail on fabric is subtle, but it sounded so realistic that I had to go back a couple of times to hear it again and marvel at it.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back