Fans of Television Series

TWIN PEEKS was awesome. Simply mind-blowing. Yes se02 was not as good as the first, but se01 was so high in the standards that the overall rating on my scale went pretty high. I knew there was a remake in progress but somehow forgot about it in time. Now that you have rejuvenated the memory, I am definitely going to start this. BTW where is it available, Netflix, APV? download?

DL. It is on Showtime on Demand though ($10.99 a month with a 7-D free trial).

It is not a remake, but a continuation of the storyline after 25 years. Most of the old characters return along with many new characters (I forgot to mention Jennifer Jason Leigh among the notable actors).

The Punisher

Frank Castle was my favorite part of DareDevil Season 2. So, I was looking forward to this series for a while. Jon Bernthal is as expected, fantastic as Frank. I have briefly watched one of the Punisher movies while channel surfing years ago, but now it would be impossible to imagine anybody else. Ben Barnes (whom I remember from Westworld) is another fitting casting choice. I would like to see Karen Page in all the Marvel series, much like the Night Nurse.

"The Punisher" takes its own sweet time establishing the characters and their backgrounds before it gets going - half of the series, to be precise. Looking back, I liked the way it built up each of the characters giving some depth so that we understand where each one is coming from. There is a lot of violence spread throughout the series, but only when called for. Of course, being desensitized by the continuous barrage of onscreen violence over the years, it takes a LOT to surprise me on that front. On the other hand, I found some of the writing to be a little retrofitting. By that what I mean is - X character would do something out of the ordinary, like hide something from Y and then we find out at the end of the episode, if they had done that, there would have been bad consequences. That just did not feel organic. It was also a bit too predictable in some places. Without spoiler tags, it is hard for me to clearly spell out the specifics I have in mind on both points, so let's leave it at that.

While I liked the series, I still think that among Marvel TV series, DareDevil Season 1 is yet to be topped in terms of excitement. This one would be far better than Ironfist, I'd reckon (just going by my impressions of the annoying Ironfist from 'The Defenders'), but does not qualify as a great series for me (even though early IMDB rating of 9.x clearly disagrees with me).

The Punisher

Frank Castle was my favorite part of DareDevil Season 2. So, I was looking forward to this series for a while. Jon Bernthal is as expected, fantastic as Frank. I have briefly watched one of the Punisher movies while channel surfing years ago, but now it would be impossible to imagine anybody else. Ben Barnes (whom I remember from Westworld) is another fitting casting choice. I would like to see Karen Page in all the Marvel series, much like the Night Nurse.

"The Punisher" takes its own sweet time establishing the characters and their backgrounds before it gets going - half of the series, to be precise. Looking back, I liked the way it built up each of the characters giving some depth so that we understand where each one is coming from. There is a lot of violence spread throughout the series, but only when called for. Of course, being desensitized by the continuous barrage of onscreen violence over the years, it takes a LOT to surprise me on that front. On the other hand, I found some of the writing to be a little retrofitting. By that what I mean is - X character would do something out of the ordinary, like hide something from Y and then we find out at the end of the episode, if they had done that, there would have been bad consequences. That just did not feel organic. It was also a bit too predictable in some places. Without spoiler tags, it is hard for me to clearly spell out the specifics I have in mind on both points, so let's leave it at that.

While I liked the series, I still think that among Marvel TV series, DareDevil Season 1 is yet to be topped in terms of excitement. This one would be far better than Ironfist, I'd reckon (just going by my impressions of the annoying Ironfist from 'The Defenders'), but does not qualify as a great series for me (even though early IMDB rating of 9.x clearly disagrees with me).
Whew! I'm glad to see I'm not the only person somewhat underwhelmed by this show. I liked the show, but after seeing Bernthal in Daredevil 2, I somehow expected more.

I was particularly surprised by the paucity of graphic violence and the playing down of the continuously simmering hate in Bernthal. There is some, but it lacks the raw impact and shock that I'd like to see in The Punisher. He has been humanized a bit too much here, IMHO.

I feel relieved too. Since nobody has written about the series yet, I thought I was going to be that oddball who hates on something popular ;)

I was particularly surprised by the paucity of graphic violence and the playing down of the continuously simmering hate in Bernthal. There is some, but it lacks the raw impact and shock that I'd like to see in The Punisher. He has been humanized a bit too much here, IMHO.

Exactly! They held back 'Punisher' a lot. If it had been three episodes shorter, a bit less talkative with more aggression, I would have liked it even more.

DAMM is this way opposite to my expectations, that is what I (and we all, for that matter) loved about Punisher. The hard raw impact. I still cannot forget the jail sequence in SE02, I dont think any action tv series can top the gruesome, raw impact that scene created, and I was expecting the same. Looks like I wont be getting it. What do you say, is it still worth to watch it or like skip it. ??

Watch it. Cos I am sure season 2 will be all what season 1 isn't. The acting is still top notch even if the story is a drag at times.

Actually, Daredevil season 1 spoiled us. It had perfect casting especially of the antagonist, brilliantly choreographed action, spot on direction. All the ones later on like Jessica jones, luke cage and now Punisher are good but simply not on that level. And we also had an abomination called Iron fist.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

DAMM is this way opposite to my expectations, that is what I (and we all, for that matter) loved about Punisher. The hard raw impact. I still cannot forget the jail sequence in SE02, I dont think any action tv series can top the gruesome, raw impact that scene created, and I was expecting the same. Looks like I wont be getting it. What do you say, is it still worth to watch it or like skip it. ??

No, don't skip it! The series is well worth watching regardless of everything I said. And while the first few episodes are somewhat tamer, the penultimate episode has the full spirit of the Punisher we saw in Daredevil 2.

?...Exactly! They held back 'Punisher' a lot. If it had been three episodes shorter, a bit less talkative with more aggression, I would have liked it even more.

Indeed! If they had tightened this down to a 10 episode season, I'd have had no complaints!

SPOILER ALERT!!! (Spoilers for The Punisher, Season 1 below)

While the arc around the other Vet was a nice way of contrasting the Punisher with out of control maniacs with a (misguided) mission, it added too much flab to the main narrative. It could very well have been cut out altogether. Also, maybe 50% fewer family flashbacks.

Godless on Netflix, for people who like the wild west, reminds me of Westworld minus the robots.. Strong reviews and good storytelling so far.. Out since 22nd Nov..

Watch it. Cos I am sure season 2 will be all what season 1 isn't. The acting is still top notch even if the story is a drag at times.

Actually, Daredevil season 1 spoiled us. It had perfect casting especially of the antagonist, brilliantly choreographed action, spot on direction. All the ones later on like Jessica jones, luke cage and now Punisher are good but simply not on that level. And we also had an abomination called Iron fist.

No, don't skip it! The series is well worth watching regardless of everything I said. And while the first few episodes are somewhat tamer, the penultimate episode has the full spirit of the Punisher we saw in Daredevil 2.

Okeyy cool thnx ... ,,, the posts restored some faith:) .... will be starting it today itself then .. as I am not watching anything else as of now.:):)

Finished Longmire. Fitting end to the series finale.
Will start stranger things 2 now.

Just finished watching a Korean TV series on Netflix called Stranger. Highly recommend. I also see a few other Korean TV series on Netflix, and I do feel this is the birth of a new era. Or possibly for me, discovery of a new genre I did not know existed.

High quality story telling, cinematography and production. Everything is top notch. It is a straight up investigative TV series that revolves around two people - the main protagonist who is a public prosecutor who is trying to solve a murder case which rapidly starts unraveling into a sinister plot connecting powerful bureaucrats and businessmen. The other protagonist is a female police detective who is equally unrelentingly honest and bold and pairs up with the public prosecutor. She is one of the characters in Sense8 if you have seen it - she is the Korean female, one of 8, who is the daughter of a rich businessman and is also a kickboxer.

There are numerous plot twists across the episodes, and has a very surprising ending - this series is totally binge watch worthy, and I actually did exactly that - I was that hooked.

This series is also an absolutely fascinating window into modern Korean life, especially corporate life. The character development is exemplary. Oh, and the main protagonist has a medical condition (due to a childhood surgery) due to which he is unable to perceive most human emotions. Very very good acting all around. You just live with the characters.

Just finished watching a Korean TV series on Netflix called Stranger. Highly recommend. I also see a few other Korean TV series on Netflix, and I do feel this is the birth of a new era. Or possibly for me, discovery of a new genre I did not know existed.

High quality story telling, cinematography and production. Everything is top notch. It is a straight up investigative TV series that revolves around two people - the main protagonist who is a public prosecutor who is trying to solve a murder case which rapidly starts unraveling into a sinister plot connecting powerful bureaucrats and businessmen. The other protagonist is a female police detective who is equally unrelentingly honest and bold and pairs up with the public prosecutor. She is one of the characters in Sense8 if you have seen it - she is the Korean female, one of 8, who is the daughter of a rich businessman and is also a kickboxer.

There are numerous plot twists across the episodes, and has a very surprising ending - this series is totally binge watch worthy, and I actually did exactly that - I was that hooked.

This series is also an absolutely fascinating window into modern Korean life, especially corporate life. The character development is exemplary. Oh, and the main protagonist has a medical condition (due to a childhood surgery) due to which he is unable to perceive most human emotions. Very very good acting all around. You just live with the characters.

Thanks, added to my watchlist.

Dark

In German with English subtitles. Just started it and then got busy with Christmas preps. Eerily similar to Stranger Things but have heard lots of positive reviews of it. Watch this space for a full review. Its on Netflix btw :)

I am glad that i stumbled on to this post of yours.One of the best suspense drama i have ever seen with excellent and probably unique story telling technique with an equally riveting background score. It totally deserve the IMDB rating it has got.

Back