Fans of Television Series

Dark

In German with English subtitles. Just started it and then got busy with Christmas preps. Eerily similar to Stranger Things but have heard lots of positive reviews of it. Watch this space for a full review. Its on Netflix btw :)

Done binge watching Dark. While my first impressions were that this is like Stranger Things, however the twists and turns the story takes through this entire season made me change my view. Not giving out any details, I think this is worth watching. The only drawback however is that, it's in German and we have to keep one eye on the subs and the other on the actors. Most of the time I missed the impact a dialogue has with a facial expression . Anyway, this is a must watch and with that tantalizing end to the season, I am looking forward to the second season.

Black Mirror - Seasons 2-4

What technology can do to us! Honestly, it gave me a scare. The rate at which the technology is moving, we soon may see something like this in the future. And if that is the future, then we need to be scared. Its a bouquet of individual episodes and a few are disturbingly entertaining. It shows the dark side of how technology can affect our lives. Barring a couple of episodes, where there are happy endings, the others are a bit dark. I suspect a few technologies shown are already found in the real world, giving it a more realistic touch. The series is shockingly good, a perfect option for binge watching. Available on Netflix.

Black Mirror - Seasons 2-4

What technology can do to us! Honestly, it gave me a scare. The rate at which the technology is moving, we soon may see something like this in the future. And if that is the future, then we need to be scared. Its a bouquet of individual episodes and a few are disturbingly entertaining. It shows the dark side of how technology can affect our lives. Barring a couple of episodes, where there are happy endings, the others are a bit dark. I suspect a few technologies shown are already found in the real world, giving it a more realistic touch. The series is shockingly good, a perfect option for binge watching. Available on Netflix.

Black Mirror is on another level all together ....... yet to see season 4 as it just came out, but 1-3 were just amazing with some episodes just down right crazy ...... I am highly looking forward to se04.

Big Little Lies

This is a binge worthy watch .. Just season 1 released now. But it is gripping !

Black Mirror is on another level all together ....... yet to see season 4 as it just came out, but 1-3 were just amazing with some episodes just down right crazy ...... I am highly looking forward to se04.

I am sure you won't be disappointed :)

Off late Netflix has introduced a lot of gripping and taut serials in other languages- French, German, Korean. It will be interesting to watch. Though the wife is not interested, I will start with La Mante. Again, looks a bit like The Blacklist, but still trying it won't hurt. Will post a short review sometime next week.

The Sinner

Binge watched The Sinner, with Jessica Biel in the lead. It was a nice watch with the "What happened" dominating the "Who dunnit". Once you get over the what, then the who matters. Jessica Biel gives a helluva performance and so does Bill Pullman. Its a fast paced crime thriller based on the Petra Hammesfahr novel of the same name. Its like a treasure hunt with each witness giving ONE important but vague and confusing clue. Piecing these together, Harry Ambrose(Pullman) embarks on an sorta impossible journey of finding what happened that led Cora Tanneti(Biel) brutally and shockingly kill Frankie Belmont(Eric Todd) on the beach in full public view. Watched all the 8 episodes in one and half day :)

Give it a try! :)

I am in the middle of watching Peaky Blinders. Can highly recommend. It is set in early 1900s England, specifically Birmingham. It is about an Irish/gypsy family who is also a small gang trying to make it big. The world around them is brutal, especially other gangs. The story centers around the de-facto leader of the gang, who is actually the younger brother but the brains and strategist behind the gang.

What surprised me is the nuance. You start watching expecting the usual gritty hard-hitting retro-gang formula, but the situations presented, the decisions and dilemmas, are all extremely nuanced and give you a lot to think about, or end up surprising you. There is still hard-hitting violence but it is funny that in the modern Netflix and HBO era, this serial which is based on a brutal vicious gang has less brutalism than many other TV series.

The acting is superb - they walk and talk with a swagger that really immerses you. The story-telling and world-building is equally good. Oh, the amount of alcohol they drink though! And the story switches around quite a bit - there's violence, there's partying and hard drinking, there's personal family battles and personal demons and PTSD from the world war, there's love and drama and tears, there's intrigue and strategy and out-thinking the opponent.

There's also a police officer in the first season who is hell-bent on destroying them. He has acted superbly and you also really see the brutality and heavy-handedness of the police. But again, even in this, the story-telling does not devolve into the standard cliches and you get insights into the unspoken rules between the police and the mob, etc. Overall, highly watchable.

The only drawback however is that, it's in German and we have to keep one eye on the subs and the other on the actors. Most of the time I missed the impact a dialogue has with a facial expression .
Audio can be changed to english 5.1. But that can get a bit distracting too

Off late Netflix has introduced a lot of gripping and taut serials in other languages- French, German, Korean. It will be interesting to watch. Though the wife is not interested, I will start with La Mante. Again, looks a bit like The Blacklist, but still trying it won't hurt. Will post a short review sometime next week.

Well, just finished watching La Mante(The Mantis). Nothing special about this one though. The series was good in parts, but then, well... I have seen better. A woman called La Mante is serving time for a string of murders she had committed. After few years a copycat emerges- why?? Not sure. The copycat as it suggests, copies the murders committed by La Mante, who agrees to help the police only if one particular police officer, who happens to be her son is allowed to work with her. There are usual suspects thrown in the mix just to make it more interesting. But it fizzles out. The suspense is lame, the reasons lamer. Jeanne becomes La Mante for 2 reasons. Both could have been pursued a bit more along with the lead to her being a serial killer. But all those are sprung up on the viewer with little or no thought of impact. I am still wondering what made the copycat commit those murders. And also, if La Mante is caught for the murders she committed, why or how could the police leave out one or did not follow that lead?? Jails - too swanky. Escape - too flimsy. Too many loose ends to make this a gripping watch.

Watch it only if you have nothing else to do :) Less episodes to watch, that's a positive.

The FALL .. another top Britt TV series with Gillian Anderson (The x files fame) as superb Stella Gibson, this show gave me goosebumps at times. Its still a crime drama, with a serial killer on loose, but with astonishing character depth and development. Shot 6 episodes with 3 seasons, leaves you with great impact. Jamie Dornan as Paul Spector was stellar, the show is like a slow poison grows on to you. For crime drama lovers this would be worth a watch. 7/10 for this one

Ok, if you haven't started Netflix's Altered Carbon, then please do. I have already finished 5 episodes. If there was no work on Monday, I would have finished it by now.

The short review as of now is as follows:

Brilliant!!! Stellar!!! Joel Kinnaman!!! Enough said!!!

**Disclaimer - I am not a critic nor am I a professional reviewer. I review purely as a viewer and I loved it. So forget/ignore all the negative "professional and critical" reviews and just watch it.

Last edited:
The FALL .. another top Britt TV series with Gillian Anderson (The x files fame) as superb Stella Gibson, this show gave me goosebumps at times. Its still a crime drama, with a serial killer on loose, but with astonishing character depth and development. Shot 6 episodes with 3 seasons, leaves you with great impact. Jamie Dornan as Paul Spector was stellar, the show is like a slow poison grows on to you. For crime drama lovers this would be worth a watch. 7/10 for this one

Yup, beautifully acted and scripted. Jamie Dornan is fantastic!!!!

Slasher - Seasons 1 and 2

Two seasons of horror, blood and suspense. I just started it after watching the S2 trailer and accidentally started S1 onward. Also, I am not reviewing the actors coz all IMHO were below average..LOL.

S1: The Executioner - Sarah Bennett returns to Waterbury to the same house where she was brutally cut out from her mother's womb. Both her parents were savagely murdered 30 years ago (the scenes deliberately and explicitly shot to show blood, flesh and gore throughout the seasons). The killer, called The Executioner is caught and sentenced. On her return somehow mysteriously the killings start again. The basis of these killings are the Seven Deadly Sins. Sarah now is in the center of these murders. And with the killer in prison and a copycat on the loose, its everybody's guess about who the killer would be. The suspense is very well hidden and just before last few episodes, you can take an educational guess. Watchable.

S2 : Guilty Party - Well, the same blood, flesh and gore repeated here. What I did not understand is the senseless and futile killing of so many people, just coz "they came in the way". Anyway - A few camp counselors return back to the same site where one of them is murdered. Actually, they murdered her and hid her body under a pile of rocks where no one can find it. Another counselor is arrested for the same crime and is sentenced. Since he is innocent, he commits suicide in the prison. A tennis court is now being constructed at the same campsite after a few years. Fearing the body might be discovered, they revisit the site to remove the body, only to find that its not there! The campsite now home to a community of peaceful nature-loving folks. Each with their colorful past. Once these people arrive, murders start to happen. Its difficult to guess but if you really, really watch closely, you may discover who the killer is. Otherwise not. My wife uttered ONE sentence and it all came down!!! Women!!!!!! :( Again, watchable.

Altered Carbon is really good, although I feel it would have been spectacular with a better actor as the hero.

Also, The Expanse Season 2 is out on Amazon Prime. If you have seen season 1 of The Expanse, you are probably already hooked.
If not, then it really is one of the best science fiction TV series made - dare i say, of all time.
It has conspiracy, political intrigue, a menacing threat looming over humanity, a plucky gritty bunch of renegades who don't want to be heroes but have been thrust into that role, and a future vision of humanity that is very very credible. And the portrayal of life in space is brilliant.

Altered Carbon - SE01 - EP01 ..... Just finished the 1st episode of AC, and boy am I blown, compelled me to come here and write a quick experience (not a review per se as its only one episode). See I am a huge fan of cyberpunk Genre,(a sub-genre of sci-fi) which in case if people didnt know are stories based on a dystopian high-tech future world, much like Blade Runner. AC is the definition of such genre if I may dare to say that. The production value seems insane, I just couldn't believe I was watching a TV series. AC is at par if not better to some very high-class sci-fi multi-million production. The plot was intriguing, LOVED the performance of Joel Kinnaman (loved him in The killing as well).

Lastly, the show is R rater and oh I loved the violence. The hotel lobby scene was exhilarating, I could feel this was Home Theater worthy TV series, probably the first one I would like to watch on HT than on my TV. The one-liners were witty and I enjoyed every bit of EP01. Hope this remains as interesting and get even more intriguing and gruesome in coming episodes. .... no rating as of now

Ok, if you haven't started Netflix's Altered Carbon, then please do. I have already finished 5 episodes. If there was no work on Monday, I would have finished it by now.

The short review as of now is as follows:

Brilliant!!! Stellar!!! Joel Kinnaman!!! Enough said!!!

Queued :) the Fall and AltCarbon.

Currently mainlining Major Crimes. And waiting for Bosch 4 or GOT 8

ciao
gr

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back