Fans of Television Series

Is the rating coz of violence or involve intimate scenes as well? Thinking of watching this with kids
There are no sex scenes as such but nudity is definitely there. But even if it weren't there I would not recommend this with kids, just coz of violence alone (based on Ep01), unless ur kid is like 16+

Thanks... I watched Ep1 (alone :) ) and it was good... Will need to cover atleast 3 episodes before I take a final call

Ballers , Hotstar .

Started it primariliy due to the Rock , whattay series . Finished S1, now midway in S2 . Just too gripping and mucho fun !

A few seasons I finished recently:

Bron|Broen Season 4: It was finally time to say goodbye to another one of my favourite series (up there with "The Wire", "Breaking Bad" etc.,). Sofia Helin's Saga Noren is also one of my favourite characters in all of the TV land. I am happy that it ended on such a high (and right) note. I am happy that they maintained the character of Saga without dilution. The humor in this series is also very natural since it comes from Saga's social awkwardness - one good example of injecting light-hearted moments within a tight, serious drama without distracting from the tension.

Any other suggestions similar to Broen, Borgen or Forbrydelsen?

Billions Season 2: I liked Season 1 of Billions, but not at the level many people did here. I thought the last 3-4 episodes dipped in quality and even the final encounter between Chuck and Axe didn't really interest me that much. I was hesitant to watch S2 for a very long time, but I am glad I finally got around to it. The writing has certainly tightened up a lot this season focusing on the correct things and cutting out a lot of flab.

The End of the ** World Season 1: The best thing about this series is that it is short and can be completed within 3 hours (just 8 episodes with a running time of 20+ minutes each) - a luxury that is not often available to us. If you like the trailer, you should find it interesting too, not otherwise. On the flip side, shorter running time means that you spend less time with these characters compared to other series, so I am not sure how fondly I will recall it a few months later. But unlike "13 Reasons Why", which left me with "Wait! There's another season?", I'd watch if they ever make another season of this (though I am also fine if they don't).

Dark Season 1: I would wait for another season before forming a firm opinion. This season has laid a good foundation, has introduced the characters, the mythology and also has ended on an interesting note. How they carry this forward is more important (I also felt similarly after the first season of "The Expanse" and that has become one of my highly anticipated series, but this could go either way). Let's see...

Black Mirror Season 4: Continues to impress. This and "Rick and Morty" are two series which have generally good episodes with a few OK (or weak) episodes here or there, but also have episodes that simply blow your mind and refuse to leave your head for a while. While R&M's third season was not as strong as S2, BM's S4 is stronger and more consistent than its S3. All said and done, the earlier episodes of BM (Pre-NetFlix) still have a special place in my heart.

Oh Boy Billions for me was just amazingly awsome and the last scene, final encounter was just kick on the butt. it was mind blowing for me. Maybe you werent in that mood., or maybe it just didnt click, but I am amazed that our this tast in this varied so much like poles apart .....lol.... :D

@sam9s, I don't know. My expectations may have been high. Just to be sure, I watched the final encounter of Billions S1 on Youtube again. It didn't bother me as much this time and I even liked the dialogues. But at that time, I felt that Damian Lewis couldn't put on an angry face convincingly (I expected him to burst out after a stunt like that). The dialogues, though good stand-alone, felt very generic in what has been a very personal encounter. Secondly, I felt that the series had veered off a little starting from Episode 9 (Where the f is Donnie?). The build-up until that point was excellent and if it had been a couple of episodes less, it would have finished on a high note. There's no doubt that the writers are talented, except that there was a lot of sidetracking in the first season. This season was very focused (as it should be. I don't care much about Chuck's 'tastes'). Some of the dialogues were excellent (though given my poor memory, I can't remember a single one of them now :)) and once in a while, they would throw in some a small detail which made you go 'wow'. I very much prefer the second season.

Altered Carbon .... well to cut the story short since I already did give a somewhat opinion of the show, I would just say, it did not disappoint me, sure it did not blow my mind but, kept me interested enough, the show has intellect, and a lot of information is thrown at you at random, so you have to keep up with the pace and context. The end twist was nice I was not kind of expecting it. SE02 is definitely on my cards .... 6.8/10 for this.

Black Mirror - SE04 ... well not as good as the previous 3 seasons, IMHO ofcourse but still up at that intellect level. Best one for me was Hang the DJ and Black Museum, rest were good but not as good as episodes of previous seasons. Few episodes of the previous season were really really dark and leaves you in a weird depressed state, I couldn't feel that way with SE04. I loved Hand the Dj for the twist and how it ended. Black Museum was a bit dark. Metalhead was the only one that made me a bit sad, even though its not one of the high rated episodes of SE04. Over all 7/10 for this season

Altered Carbon .... well to cut the story short since I already did give a somewhat opinion of the show, I would just say, it did not disappoint me, sure it did not blow my mind but, kept me interested enough, the show has intellect, and a lot of information is thrown at you at random, so you have to keep up with the pace and context. The end twist was nice I was not kind of expecting it. SE02 is definitely on my cards .... 6.8/10 for this.

I was ready to give up after 4 episodes. While the production quality (vfx) is par excellence, i find the acting to be just ok and the tangents/branches in the story line sporadic and trite. The mention of the "end twist" has given me the will to persevere.

Its not a twist per se, but something that I didn't expect, so don't keep your expectations too high, it might not be as twisty for you as it was for me .. :)

Well I can say that this forum is one of the best in recommendations with many members actively suggesting and taking out time with detailed reviews on shows. Thanks to all of you who have contributed for the greater good for the fans of tv shows.

I myself have enjoyed so many tv shows been recommended here by members and feel happy that I read the reviews and took a call to spend my time with those particular shows. Each of them have been like a journey and some when ended made me weep as I never wanted it to get over. Thanks again and let the recommendations keep flowing.

Now, I've been binge watching Hand of God streaming via Amazon prime available in 4k and at start it looked weak and draggy but it caught up later. It's a different kind of story and keeps you attached to it. One can surely keep this in their watch list.

Jessica Jones Season 2

I liked the first season of JJ (mainly due to Kilgrave and the noir-ish atmosphere) and was looking forward to this. JJ is sort of an outlier in the MCU as she is an emotionally troubled person who also happens to have limited superpowers. The series tends to be less about action and more about relationships and emotional struggles along with a dose of feminism. There is no change in that aspect this season as well. However, it could have been done better as this season is found to be lacking compared to the first season. If you are someone who did not like the first season, this season won't change your opinion.

I feel that this season would have benefited immensely from having fewer episodes (8-10).What it mainly lacks was someone good enough to fill in the shoes of Kilgrave as the villain (which David Tennant proves by way of his cameo). A lot of screen time is devoted to character development and the arc of Trish, Malcolm, and Jeri Hogarth. The payoff for this is minimal - with Jeri's character becoming interesting in the last couple of episodes and Trish, only at the very end. If they had tightened things up, this may have worked a little better.

PS: Though every review I have read has praise for Krysten Ritter's acting, I find her acting range to be limited, enough to pull off this character, but not really convincing during emotional scenes.

Doing a second round on Bosch. This time on Amazon prime available in 4k HDR and it's superb. Already this show was great and now looks even better and bigger.

Has anybody watched Absentia?
Stana Katic (Kate Becket in Castle) stars as Emily, an FBI agent who has disappeared and is declared dead, in absentia. She was abducted by a serial killer, it is believed – a particularly nasty piece of work. That guy, Conrad (Richard Brake), is convicted of her murder and sent to jail. Her husband, fellow agent Nick (Patrick Heusinger), has remarried and is raising their son with a new partner when things open. Then he gets a call saying Emily is alive. She is – and the drama is about her reclaiming her life. But, you know, after being missing for six years, there is suspicion that she went over to the dark side of things. She could be a murderer.

Katic has performed her role very well. The drama is really about unravelling the mystery of her absence. It's gripping, edge of the seat in some parts but sometimes let down by predictability, may be a wee bit too many twists and turns and by some rank underperformance by actors around Katic. Still worth the watch.
Absentia TV-MA|1h episodes|Crime, Drama, Mystery|TV Mini-Series (2017– )

Absentia looks good, saved it to must watch .....

The Good Place This tv series was a super surprise package, I knew nothing about it, I was just surfing netflix, read the description and clicked play. Glad I did. The premise is intriguing ""The Good Place is a town where those who have been good throughout their lives go once they have passed away, something like Heaven, and our protagonist Eleanor Shellstrop played by Kristen Bell, who was awesome in The veronica mars lands there and then starts the journey. Without giving out too much I will say this is a really nice feel-good TV series that will always let you have that nice smile on your face. Light-hearted, light comic appeal it has. All characters are so likable and cute. I loved the show, BUT what made this show from nice decent to must-see was the ending with a super twist that I could not see from far away, that made the series for me. Best part is all episodes are small 20 minutes and I was able to finish all 13 eps in two days. SE01 ending is on a super high cliffhanger and I am eager to go for SE02, which is not on nefflix as of now, but I was able to download. ....rating 7/10 for this one.

The Looming Tower - this is a new mini-series based on a book of the same title, documenting the investigation into Al-Qaeda by the FBI and CIA and events leading up to 9/11. A more detailed version of The Path to 9/11 which was a 2 part mini-series on the same topic(one of the best mini-series I have watched). Very engrossing with superb performances from Jeff Daniels, Peter Sarsgaard and Tahir Rahim. Highly recommended for fans of counter-terrorism/political thrillers.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back