Fans of Television Series

The Looming Tower - this is a new mini-series based on a book of the same title, documenting the investigation into Al-Qaeda by the FBI and CIA and events leading up to 9/11. A more detailed version of The Path to 9/11 which was a 2 part mini-series on the same topic(one of the best mini-series I have watched). Very engrossing with superb performances from Jeff Daniels, Peter Sarsgaard and Tahir Rahim. Highly recommended for fans of counter-terrorism/political thrillers.

Yes I had seen this in Amazon prime while browsing the available shows and found it to be interesting by reading but just held myself back to start it.

Now that it has been discussed here and you've quoted it, shall take a dive. Thanks for the recommendation.

The Looming Tower - this is a new mini-series based on a book of the same title, documenting the investigation into Al-Qaeda by the FBI and CIA and events leading up to 9/11. A more detailed version of The Path to 9/11 which was a 2 part mini-series on the same topic(one of the best mini-series I have watched). Very engrossing with superb performances from Jeff Daniels, Peter Sarsgaard and Tahir Rahim. Highly recommended for fans of counter-terrorism/political thrillers.

I have seen The Path to 9/11, and I definitely will give The looming tower a try.

A complete change of pace. I have been thoroughly enjoying Big Dreams, Small Spaces. Of all the things to watch, it is a TV show about gardening. Sounds as exciting as watching paint dry, you say? No, it is surprisingly enjoyable (at least to me). Very well produced, an excellent excellent host who not only knows his stuff but has this really nice avuncular attitude. And the show is really about every day people with big dreams about their small gardens and you see the results of the transformation. Thoroughly satisfying, and frankly, a phenomenal way to de-stress.

I will also add The Big Family Cooking Showdown to this, as it is equally thoroughly enjoyable to watch.

One thing to note: There are many many cooking shows, reality shows, and heck, even house renovating shows. But there's something very laidback and sunny and cheery and slow-paced about these British shows. They have none of the "reality TV" drama and theatrics and nonsense that seems to plague Indian and American reality TV shows. Here, the theme is all about getting the job done. It is about camaraderie and just having some fun. Two other notable mentions here are The Great British Baking Show (which became a surprise hit and probably pioneered this whole theme), as well as Wheeler Dealers.

I subscribed to Netflix yesterday, as now I'm able to take the benefit of the 4k and hdr content. After browsing the shows available, I was like wow... so much content, well, it would take a life time to watch and amazon is nothing in front of it. Have selected a few of the shows in watch-list like Jessica Jones (thanks to esanthosh for the review), Collateral (a short series), Altered Carbon (thanks to Mav3rick & sam9s), Manhunt Unabomber (looks very interesting).

Have started with Jessica Jones and through about 4 episodes. Its really good and the best thing I liked about this is that it has a good story amid saving. This should keep me busy for a while.

Netflix works fine and better than amazon when compared to A/V quality. Amazon always stutters when starting initially. Whereas, Netflix is very smooth and within a few secs, it starts streaming in 4k hdr. I guess thats why the yearly 1k for amazon and 800 monthly for netflix makes the difference.

Silver Spoon - Russian Crime / Drama TV show in Netflix

Really hooked to this Finished watching the Season 2 with a great expectation of a season 3. Do anyone know whether season 3 is in making or available from any streaming site.

Well, I finished watching The Sinner & Manhunt Unabomber and I must admit that both the shows were mind blowing and a must watch for anyone who loves such genres. I'm not a great reviewer (better reviews already written in this thread) but I will say this...

The Sinner - Very gripping and tense and keeps you on the edge of the seat. A must watch.
Unabomber - Based on a true story. Very good reasoning and thoughtfully made. Again, not to be missed.

I subscribed to Netflix yesterday, as now I'm able to take the benefit of the 4k and hdr content.
Welcome to the chaotic and totally confusing world of Netflix. The moment you start on something, you will have another 10 new series in queue :)

Welcome to the chaotic and totally confusing world of Netflix. The moment you start on something, you will have another 10 new series in queue :)

Very true.... I just came to know that starting April 6 onwards 40 new TV shows being aired on Netflix and all being Netflix Originals. I'm like what 40 more... omg, let me finish the previous ones atleast.

One of the things that Netflix surely lacks is family friendly series. Either their stuff will be extremely dark and violent, or will have needless levels of sex (why does Marco Polo need sex??), or will be very childish and cartoonish.

Check out Merlin. It is the story of Merlin, the wizard, in King Arthur's court. Only, the story is about a 17 year old boy, Merlin, an apprentice to the palace physician, and servant of boy prince Arthur. Very well told, good plot twists and suspense and action, and add to it, that Merlin has magic but the king (Uther) absolutely hates magic and executes whoever practices magic in his kingdom. There are 5 seasons to this!

And kid friendly while still being entertaining and intelligent enough and gripping enough for adults.

For a change of pace, an absolute gem: One Punch Man. It is an "anime", a Japanese animation. But very caustically funny, ironic, droll humor. Saitama is the protagonist who is an aimless millennial. His life is empty and meaningless, he keeps getting rejected from one job to another.

He utterly lacks purpose and motivation until he encounters a lobster like beast (which became a half lobster half man after gorging on way too much lobster in a all you can eat buffet). This beast goes about randomly killing people while dressed in white VIP style underwear. The beast encounters Saitama and spares him because it sees the same lifeless eyes as it itself has. But Saitama ends up battling the beast to protect a kid and ends up realizing he wants to be a "hero" and save the world.

So he trains and trains and loses his hair (and becomes really conscious of his hairloss) and becomes super powerful. He becomes One Punch Man, where he can kill any beast or enemy with just... one punch.

But now what to do? Everyone dies with just... one punch. So his lifelessness and dejectedness returns again. All the episodes are about his battles with giant scary beasts but Saitama's meh attitude and hopelessness provide an absolutely hilarious sequence of scenes.

The story telling is really nuanced too.. for example, one of the bad guys is "Earth's vaccine against humanity" because humanity is the biggest infestation as far as the planet is concerned.

I am not a big fan of anime, besides Studio Ghibli and Initial D, but this is an absolute gem. Ironic humor at it's best.

Last edited:
One of the things that Netflix surely lacks is family friendly series. Either their stuff will be extremely dark and violent, or will have needless levels of sex (why does Marco Polo need sex??), or will be very childish and cartoonish.

Check out Merlin. It is the story of Merlin, the wizard, in King Arthur's court. Only, the story is about a 17 year old boy, Merlin, an apprentice to the palace physician, and servant of boy prince Arthur. Very well told, good plot twists and suspense and action, and add to it, that Merlin has magic but the king (Uther) absolutely hates magic and executes whoever practices magic in his kingdom. There are 5 seasons to this!

And kid friendly while still being entertaining and intelligent enough and gripping enough for adults.

Well said... Daily I am waiting for kids to sleep before I watch netflix. I prefer to see more family friendly series, rather than the ones which has unwanted nudity/sex scenes inspite of it being a real good plot

Apologies for the barrage of posts, but another notable mention is an Indian crime thriller called Breathe on Amazon Prime. Main actor is the Tamil actor, Madhavan. Plot and storyline is quite good! Very very watchable. I am mid-way through it and it is totally watchable and gripping. Pacing is good too - it doesn't drag too much.

The story is about a father (Madhavan) who has a young son who is dying but will be saved with an organ transplant. So Madhavan who is desperate, starts killing off eligible organ donors to promote his son from organ waiting list #4 to #1. As usual, anything can be better etc, but this is very decently told and good quality. And bonus: if i am not mistaken, it is available in 4k HDR.

The hardest part about starting a new TV show is going through the 1st 2-3 episodes, that's the time when the plot & characters are still evolving & one would easily go off track & leave the show. I am glad I stuck to the show & it was such a nice engrossing finale in the end. Really happy to see Bryan Cranston(Mr. Walter White, oh yeah) as an actor & creator of the show after a very long time. Giovanni Ribisi plays the prefect decoy, Sneaky Pete, a sublimely almost nothing character who always lives in the shadows & pulls off the entire show remarkably well.

Thanks for the reco @hydra

8.5/10.

Available on Amazon Prime.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Finished watching S03 of Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime. It's a breezy watch that takes off from where it ended in S02. There's no let up in the quality of the show. Even though i saw a 'twist' coming from miles away, there were others kept the boat afloat.

For a change of pace, an absolute gem: One Punch Man. It is an "anime", a Japanese animation.

I watched this last year thanks to your earlier post.

This is one series where the special episodes (or OVAs) were really good instead of being mere fillers. Most of them are about what happened in between regular episodes and hence were as enjoyable as much as, if not better than regular episodes. Do check them out in case you haven't.

Belanwali bahu has become my favorite Hindi comedy now. Amazing cast and awesome dialogue penning..mindless comedy but a riot of laughter guaranteed. My family watched it in voot..my mother was cramped all over because of the humour. She had difficulty in breathing as she laughed continuously. We had to pause for her to be able to sit again..watching a Hindi serial after almost a decade.love it completely.

Started watching 'Powder' in Netflix. A well directed serious tv show portraying the bust of a narcotics criminal with lots of inter-governmental politics. I first thought it would not be great but when I was down 2 episodes, I started liking it and now its binge watching.

Watched season 1 of a Belgian Flemish TV series - Tabula Rasa (a Latin phrase meaning blank slate. Netflix series with English subs. It is a psychological thriller about Mie, a young woman with amnesia who is locked up in a secure psychiatric hospital. Mie is visited by Detective Inspector Wolkers who claims she was the last person seen with the vanished Thomas. As a witness and prime suspect, she appears to be the sole key in this mysterious disappearance. Mie can’t be released from the hospital until Thomas is found.

In order to solve the puzzle and find Thomas, Mie has to reconstruct her lost memories and find her way back through the dark labyrinth of her recent past. The more she remembers, the more she starts to mistrust not only the people around her but also…herself.

Are these new memories real or mere figments of her imagination in a desperate attempt to fill in the blanks?

Acting is top notch. First few episodes evolve very slowly. Having to pay attention throughout to the subtitles to understand what is happening is not easy! Summing it up as a whodunnit, with a bit of revenge thrown is not doing it justice! Keeps you engrossed and bored too (less of this!). If you are looking for fast paced action this is definitely not for you. Every character has shades of grey and even black! Creepy and unsettling - some intentionally so!

Tabula Rasa
TV-MA |1h| Thriller | TV Series (2017– )

Have started watching "Curb your Enthusiasm" starring Larry David , co-creator of Seinfeld.

Had seen a couple of seasons on Zee I think , when it aired earlier. Glad to see all the seasons on Hotstar Premium, am on S07 now.

This is the king of understated comedy. If you are a fan of Seinfeld, you should watch this.

Just completed first 3 episodes of Lost in Space and was impressed by the balance between highlights and blacks in first two episodes. As a guy who didn't watch sixties classic, series is impressive content wise.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back