Fans of Television Series

It is now the highest rated tv series on IMDb. Surpassed Breaking Bad
Everygood series initially will be rated very high by fans. Then critics kick in. And after a year we will see what is it worth. That being said I would also give 9/10 for that.

Everygood series initially will be rated very high by fans. Then critics kick in. And after a year we will see what is it worth. That being said I would also give 9/10 for that.
Yes. Fargo was the only series I saw which had consistent or even better episodes in S2 & 3

^ oh there are many .... Justified surpassed every previous season, Ray Donavon was there every season was better than previous....then .... SUITS ...... The Good Wife ... the list goes on ....

^ oh there are many .... Justified surpassed every previous season, Ray Donavon was there every season was better than previous....then .... SUITS ...... The Good Wife ... the list goes on ....
Ok. Are these shows on prime? I’ll check them out. Now watching “How to get away with murder”

While Chernobyl is right up there in the popularity charts, there are a few series which are great,
1, Absentia - On Amazon Prime, this is a thriller starring Stana Katic (Castle)

2, Bodyguard - This is a British serial which is a thriller

The following one is highly recommended and not to be missed -
3. Killing Eve - This is on BBC America - a thriller which should not be missed with Jodie Comer as the cold blooded assassin and Sandra Oh as Eve trying to catch the assassin.

Ok. Are these shows on prime? I’ll check them out. Now watching “How to get away with murder”

you can find all those between Prime, netflix and hotstar, not sure if you will like them or not ...

you can find all those between Prime, netflix and hotstar, not sure if you will like them or not ...
OK. Now watching "Delhi Crime", looks to be a very good show, from Richie Mehta. "How to get away with murder" was very dull and boring, couldn't finish the first episode :)

Chernobyl

+ Like many good series ("The Wire"), this is about the system and not the individuals.
+ They manage to transport the viewer to Chernobyl of that time - the locations, attention to detail and the camera work are all excellent.
+ The acting is good - Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgard, and Emily Watson.
+ Little arcs were very well handled - Pavel's story for instance. With little screen time, they managed to capture 'loss of innocence' (which we have seen many times over in movies and series).
+ They left me with a healthy respect for the sacrifices made by many people - miners, people recruited to clean up, etc.,
+ Usually, I cringe about using English as the speaking language in foreign settings (like "The Reader"). This was not an issue for me with 'Chernobyl' thanks to a lot of Russian text and music left as-is.

Only for those who have watched the series:

- Some fictional liberties outlined here are forgivable. But, I could not help but think whether the system was actually that bad or is it just another part of the western propaganda machine. Sure, things could have been bad, but they felt a little exaggerated (KGB everywhere). While you can see articles like this, you should also read this :)
- While it may be authentic to a degree, there were many things that border on radioactive scaremongering. Please read this.

TL;DR;

A very good series that everybody should see. While I liked many, many things about the series, it is far from perfect and won't displace "The Wire" off the top of my list.

PS: I initially thought that "HBO redeemed themselves after GOT S08", but then I watched half of 'Deadwood: The Movie'. So, it's still 1-2 against HBO.

I just completed all 5 seasons of 'Line of Duty' which is available on Netflix till season 4 and another season from other means.

This was a hell of a ride and one should not miss it. I'm not an avid reviewer but will certainly say that this show put me to the edge of my seat and kept me hooked, all the time. Really enjoyed this show till the very last episode and was wanting more, remembering that Pepsi ad 'dil maange more'
All the actors have done a marvelous job and one will for sure fall in love with them. This is one such tv show where I felt connected with the actors and that took my experience and enjoyment to the next level. I would certainly keep this one, on the top shelf of tv shows.

A must watch!!

Dark Season 2

In my post about the first season, I noted that "I would wait for another season before forming a firm opinion". I am happy that they haven't screwed up the solid foundation laid in Season 1. It only got better.

+ Only 8 episodes - the opposite of the usual Netflix bloat.
+ No hand-holding the viewer. The different timelines are captioned only in a few instances. Sometimes it takes a few moments to figure out which year it is. The good thing is, as a viewer, you are engaged and constantly playing detective.
+ Instead of "What happens next?", we are left wondering "How did it get to point B from point A?" and "Why?" a lot of the time. It is a very clever show, but not really manipulative. If you have watched movies about time travel, some of these arcs would look very familiar. But, the narrative here is so dense and layered that you do not have time to sit and process; you are always moving from one thing to the next.

I had forgotten all about the intricacies of the show barring the broad strokes. In the case of a few minor characters, I could not remember how they are related and what they did in the first season. I should have re-watched the first season :(. Instead, I chose to read an article right after S02E01, which detailed the often confusing relationships between characters. Sadly, it also included two very major spoilers for the second season. But to the credit of their story-telling prowess, even when I knew what was going to happen, I was interested in knowing how it got there. As one of the co-directors put it

Jantje Friese: People always think that writing is like architecture, that you build blocks and in the end, you have a house. The way I approach writing is that it’s like archeology: The house is there, under the sand, you just have to uncover it.

I am very much looking forward to the third and final season.

"Tales of the city" series are now available on Netflix. It is based on Armistead Maupin's bestselling novel series by the same name, starring Olympia Dukakis and Laura Linney which first aired in 1993. I've watched a few episodes, and it's as good as they come, with excellent character portrayal, sharp dialogues and the 90s TV show charm which I feel is missing in the current onslaught of CGI fueled TV shows. A must watch!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back