Group Buy - Panasonic 50VT20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willing to wait , I suggest u try for best price, 20 units of such a high end old model tv selling in one shot is a very lucrative offer for any dealer.

We need to keep patience and dictate our terms as far as possible.

Why are all you guys piling up to buy vt20 which is a discontinued model internationally and all the stock is imported more than half a year ago ??

Do you guys know that vt20 has only 60 nit brightness and even though 3d is gr8 all reviews state that 3d in vt20 produces a very dim image and unless watched in darkness will not impress.( It is improved in 2011 series st30 but still not as good as samsung plasmas as told by reviews) Yes the black level is the best among all tv's but brightness is also very important right and vt20 lacks in this area(i have read a lot of critic review and they all say this).

USB playback support is not very good and all formats are not supported. Also in pc mode the max resolution supported is 1336*768(maybe new firmware supports 1080p but not sure)

Also vt20 has no screen burn protection like pixel orbiter and scrolling and use IR glasses and not bluetooth and the new 2011 panasonic glasses cost around 170$ per pair though even the old 2010 ones work but still they are also expensive compared to samsung. Also vt20 is bulky and styling is dated.

@Prankey Do you think the merits of vt20 outweigh all demerits? Does it make sense for all these people to put 70k and buy one and a half year old model which is being cleared out of the market to make place for newer models?
Dont you think that samsung d550 is a better more feature rich alternative with 3 times brightness(more than 160 nits), gr8 3d pq , gr8 upsacling of sd, lighter and cheaper bluetooth 3d glasses, better usb support, slimmer tv design and stylish looks. Maybe the reflection is a slight bother but it can be handled by placing tv in low reflection position and putting curtains. Technically reviews say vt20 might have 5-10% better 2d pq (i dont personally think so) but still there are a lot of disadvantages in buying it.

well it all depends on what ur needs r. the question should be not whether vt20d is better than d550, taking into consideration all the features, but how each tv stands up to fulfill the needs of the buyer.

i'll tell you why i chose to buy vt20d for 80k when i could have got d550 for 62k.

i am a movie junkie.. period. i dont play games, i dont care for all the extra frills like 2d-3d, net connectivity(i have enough of that from other sources)
nice looks(i am not buying the tv as a work of art), thickness of the panel, (pray tell me why this should even come into consideration.) so for me the three most important features are PQ, PQ and PQ. and let me tell you i find absolutely no comparison in PQ. initially i feared the sd pq wouldnt be good
(as per Blasto) but i found it not to be true. saying a 10% increase in PQ is not worth the difference in price doen't cut it for me. the PQ is for me worth all of the 80K i spent for it. and if i can buy it for 70K?

the icing on the cake is the 3 year warranty. my dealer tells me samsung is charging heavily for any repairs out of warranty.

as for the tv model being 1 1/2 years old, it is actually a blessing as you can be sure most of any bugs would have surfaced by now. lookup peeling issues of samsung.

so it all boils down to individual taste and preferences.

initially i feared the sd pq wouldnt be good
(as per Blasto) but i found it not to be true.

That was again comparative. You have the D450 and VT20 side by side, you can see the difference.

Again, the main difference in my upgrade is the reflection reduction and black level. Though out of the TV PQ is comparable, the viewing experience for "me" in the samsung B450 is not good after the panasonic entered the house. I was able to ignore the reflection all these days but strictly watching the samsung only in the nights nowadays (then too with brighter blacks).

So, reflections in the day and brighter blacks in the night has to be dealt with the samsung. Iam not saying D550 is SAME as B450 but expect it to be between B450 and VT20, more closer to the B450.

Without having both in your house, lot of issues discussed will be irrelevent (except maybe reflection) but when you have them both, you will most often go to the VT20 anytime of day if you have the option.

That was again comparative. You have the D450 and VT20 side by side, you can see the difference.

Again, the main difference in my upgrade is the reflection reduction and black level. Though out of the TV PQ is comparable, the viewing experience for "me" in the samsung B450 is not good after the panasonic entered the house. I was able to ignore the reflection all these days but strictly watching the samsung only in the nights nowadays (then too with brighter blacks).

So, reflections in the day and brighter blacks in the night has to be dealt with the samsung. Iam not saying D550 is SAME as B450 but expect it to be between B450 and VT20, more closer to the B450.

Without having both in your house, lot of issues discussed will be irrelevent (except maybe reflection) but when you have them both, you will most often go to the VT20 anytime of day if you have the option.

if one has to really look specifically for certain things, then i believe they shouldnt matter. remember we are buying the tvs to watch tv programs movies play games etc.

there is a saying in telugu.. ?????? ????? ?????? ???????? ?????? ?????????????????

when u look at ur husband after seeing the king, u feel like beating him.

What is the price of VT20 at croma for a single piece ?

I am ready to spend upto 75k with freebies.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using tapatalk

the icing on the cake is the 3 year warranty. my dealer tells me samsung is charging heavily for any repairs out of warranty.

as for the tv model being 1 1/2 years old, it is actually a blessing as you can be sure most of any bugs would have surfaced by now. lookup peeling issues of samsung.

so it all boils down to individual taste and preferences.
I fully agree on the guarantee bit. When I moved from Hyd to Blore, some cable had slightly moved and hence I could not get a picture. Samsung rep just to come home charges 1800 plus charges for anything else he finds. He opened the TV up in 5 mins just touched the cable that was loose and that was it...1800 bucks for it and my TV was only 14 months old...

So if someone is giving 3 year warranty..you can easily add another 2-5K value to the TV in terms of free repairs compared to all the other models

I spoke with the area manager today to check on the deal with glasses (had told him of about 20 members interested int his group buy yesterday), when he checked the current inventory, he is telling that there are only about 2 display pieces left for now and it will take 10 to 15 days to source more!

Honestly having tough time working with these Croma folks. They gave the pricing without checking the inventory, I just fail to understand. I asked him to check on the inventory for 50ST30 and give the best price, he hasn't come back on that.

Now let me know if you and other members are willing to wait for another 10 to 15 days (it might have gone from Croma to other dealers in which case it might be good for us to talk elsewhere, will check tomorrow and let you know).

Sure, np. Updated list:

1. GVRAVI (Karwar)
2. unicorn (Kolkata)
3. god2007 (Cochin)
4. sg3707 (Bangalore) (On HOLD)
5. Gijo George (Kochi)
6. ab79 (kakinada)
7. captrajesh (Chennai)
8. audiodelic (Delhi)
9. idlebrain (Hyderabad)
10. max123_ind (Hyderabad)
11. dhruviboy (Kolkata)
12. giddavr (AP)
13. arnprasad (Bangalore)
14. Cnu (Gujrat)
15. carnatic (Bangalore)
16. Unrealistic (Mumbai)
17. kooldeep (Haryana)
18. Jaybe (Bangalore)
19. emailnagpal (HP)

I agree with you buddy that's why I always felt that D550 is the right TV for me. However, looking at the reviews of HDTVTest.co.uk, they report SD upscaling of VT20 to be better, however today I read that the 2D latency of VT20 is about 47ms which is way beyond then D550's 16 to 31ms (game and normal mode respectively), adding 2d to 3d conversion, 7 times less expensive and BETTER, LIGHTER BT 3D glasses, better colors, brightness, calibration options, accurate Gamma, better USB and design of D550 has pulled me back to D550.

My primary reason for going with VT20 were black levels, AR coated probably better quality panel, probably more reliable and longer lasting TV with 3 years warranty with THX mode in 2D were the reasons pulling me towards VT20. Else, D550 is always an overall more practically superior choice to VT20.

I agree buddy, even I dont feel this TV is a great purchase beyond 65k with 2x glasses, however Croma folks seems to be not keen in going down as they dont seems to have enough stock at good price.

Prankey,

Thanks for all the efforts !

In light of all this uncertainty and that I am going to be away for two weeks starting 14 th November, I would like to withdraw myself from this group if does not pose any difficulty.

Jayant

The 3 year warranty is a big plus-point for Panasonic as we are talking about a lot of money. If there is any problem and Panasonic can't fix it, they will replace it with another V series. Also, for most people, 3D viewing will be a small fraction of the total time spent before TV as a) there is less 3D content and b) wearing heavy glasses for a long time is a pain. Also, I don't know the long-term impact of having a bluetooth device so close to your head for hours on end. In my opinion, 2D-3D is a gimmick which will lose its allure soon. Passive 3D, which currently cannot be compared with active for 3D effect and PQ, will rule in the future.

prankey, how much will it cost to get 3 year warranty for samsung d550? Can we have a GB for samsung d550, 3 year warranty, 2 glasses, keyboard? I would like to have an alternative if the VT20 at 65K is not available in the next 2 weeks. Also, from your posts it appears that you favor the d550? What are you going to buy?

Prankey,

Thanks for all the efforts !

In light of all this uncertainty and that I am going to be away for two weeks starting 14 th November, I would like to withdraw myself from this group if does not pose any difficulty.

Jayant

Jayant, no issues. You could come back whenever you are interested while I am trying to bring down the prices and get stocks for ourselves. These folks at Croma are not very forthcoming and have their hands tied to be more flexible in arranging stocks or bringing down the prices. I really hope that it gets available through Panasonic branded shops or other outlets for me to get the target price of 65k with goodies.

Hi!

I am in, if it comes at 65K with 2 Sets of 3D Glasses, (better if it comes with the Logitech Wireless Kbd + Tata Sky HD) ready to pick it from any Croma in Delhi / Noida / Gurgaon.

If this Croma thing doesn't work out - can we not try a direct deal with Panasonic People at Gurgaon, if in case there is a way to get the units dispatched to respective places?

Thanks!

Posting again. I posted a while back but I don't see it in this thread.

The 3 year warranty is a big plus-point for Panasonic as we are talking about a lot of money. If there is any problem and Panasonic can't fix it, they will replace it with another V series. Also, for most people 3D viewing will be a small fraction of the total time spent before TV as a) there is less 3D content and b) wearing heavy glasses for a long time is a pain. Also, I don't know the long-term impact of having a bluetooth device so close to your head for hours on end. In my opinion, 2D-3D is a gimmick which will lose its allure soon. Passive 3D, which currently cannot be compared with active for 3D effect and PQ, will rule in the future.

prankey, how much will it cost to get 3 year warranty for samsung d550? Can we have a GB for samsung d550, 3 year warranty, 2 glasses, keyboard? I would like to have an alternative if the VT20 at 65K is not available in the next 2 weeks. Also, from your posts it appears that you favor the d550? What are you going to buy?

Hi!

I am in, if it comes at 65K with 2 Sets of 3D Glasses, (better if it comes with the Logitech Wireless Kbd + Tata Sky HD) ready to pick it from any Croma in Delhi / Noida / Gurgaon.

If this Croma thing doesn't work out - can we not try a direct deal with Panasonic People at Gurgaon, if in case there is a way to get the units dispatched to respective places?

Thanks!
I am trying, however haven't got the contact details of Panasonic sales guys here. Can you try from your end? I can do the talking and negotiations once we get hold of the Panasonic Sales folks.

I am trying, however haven't got the contact details of Panasonic sales guys here. Can you try from your end? I can do the talking and negotiations once we get hold of the Panasonic Sales folks.

Sure, It should not be difficult as I have been a vendor to them.. Let us connect over PM.

In vt20 is floating blacks not a very big problem in real world scenario, experts please give your opinion ?

Just saw some video on you tube where the floating black looks quite annoying during movie/gaming.

if i can get shipping to kolkata + 50vt20 + 2 3d glasses + 3 yrs warranty under 70k then i'm in, but when will i receive the unit and will shipping have insurance.

Last edited:
Posting again. I posted a while back but I don't see it in this thread.

The 3 year warranty is a big plus-point for Panasonic as we are talking about a lot of money. If there is any problem and Panasonic can't fix it, they will replace it with another V series. Also, for most people 3D viewing will be a small fraction of the total time spent before TV as a) there is less 3D content and b) wearing heavy glasses for a long time is a pain. Also, I don't know the long-term impact of having a bluetooth device so close to your head for hours on end. In my opinion, 2D-3D is a gimmick which will lose its allure soon. Passive 3D, which currently cannot be compared with active for 3D effect and PQ, will rule in the future.

Only Croma offers extended warranty option AFAIK and they don't have that model itself on stock. They don't even have ST30 and are unaware of the model itself! Bluetooth doesn't cause any side effect and infact it is used to avoid radiation of cellphone. Also, Infrared rays on Panasonic and other than Samsung 3D glasses were also talked of having side effects. Lets not get worried on something we don't know that it can actually cause issues.

In vt20 is floating blacks not a very big problem in real world scenario, experts please give your opinion ?

Just saw some video on you tube where the floating black looks quite annoying during movie/gaming.
Yes thats, bothersome, I also saw it few days back on YouTube. However Samsung also has brightness pop issue which could be similar to the floating black issues on V series.
if i can get shipping to kolkata + 50vt20 + 2 3d glasses + 3 yrs warranty under 70k then i'm in, but when will i receive the unit and will shipping have insurance.
Yes, that is what I am trying. However we first need the stocks. When I talked to the area manager today, he suggested its tough to arrange fresh stocks as per his discussion with the buyers and they may only have the display pieces left.

Later I talked with Panasonic branded shop who have given the below prices for ST30 and VT30:

42ST30 - 63k with 1x Glass and Logitech Keyboard
50ST30 - 90k with 1x Glass and Logitech Keyboard
65VT30 - 3.06Lac with 2x Glasses and Logitech Keyboard

I will continue discussion of other models on my other thread while continuing to work on arranging stocks of VT20 and better pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back