• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Guidance with protecting my gears

Mogami Cables

Vijey_rockz

Just get rid of the surge protector. You don't need that if the Surge Protection Circuit Breaker you have in the electrical chain is better than the Belkin/Huntkey. I am not an expert but I'd guess that the chances of a surge getting through an industrial strength surge protector and the servo are rather low. Vertex would be a good source of advice based on their assessment of your current Surge Protection Circuit Breaker.

Instead of using a power strip like Belkin/Huntkey, especially if you already have surge protection and servo in the electrical chain, just get a box with switches and sockets already set in the box from your local electrical store/online, open it up, check the thickness of the wire used inside and if it is of poor quality/thickness then just buy a good quality length of 5A power cord from a store and redo the internal wiring. Take and mark out pictures of the internal wiring of the box before you start in case you need a reference. It's not too difficult to replace the wiring if you are reasonably handy with a screw driver and wire-stripper.

Hmmm, Thanks for the Tip.

r_senthil

I have placed order for 3kva Vertex stablizer without EMI/RFI filters, I will be getting it in a 3-4 days time. Now I plan to connect it this way, please provide your inputs

Mains -> Surge Protection Circuit Breaker -> Vertex Stab-> Luminous UPS -> 5A socket -> Belking Surge protector -> Denon 550BT + TAGA SW 90 + SONY 55inch (all three connected to a single Belkin Strip) , Is this fine?

I went for NON EMI/RFI model as I want my entire house + devices(all those connected to my 5A sockets) to be safe guarded from this ridiculous high voltage(goes 260+). This was recommended by the Vertex Person.

Any suggestions please.
Note - I am yet to buy the Belkin Surge protector, (at Present I have a huntkey surge protector, thought of going in for something really standard like Belkin)
Hi Vijey_rockz
Congratulations on your purchase. Iam also planning for a similar setup shortly. But have quick question. What is your luminous inverter capacity as you have mentioned that you have connected all gears (TV, receiver, sub). Will the inverter not be overloaded? Also please clarify if receiver can be connected to inverter as some manufacturers have clearly recommend not to connect receiver to ups

r_senthil

It’s even more silent then the v gaurd. Only when u start up it produces a thud sound and beeps for 5-6 seconds which is a safety precaution. During the 6 seconds it calculates the voltage and start if it’s safe as per the pre-set values else it will shut down.During operations it is dead silent. Even the vgaurd keeps making a clicking noise. As u can see I have placed it close to my av rack. I sit just 7-8 feet from the stab and can assure you 100% you will not hear any noise. I have also checked placing my ears on the stab and it’s silent.
Hi Love4sound,
Thank you for the unboxing video. Loved it
Could you please let me know the size/dimensions of the vertex. Thanks

r_senthil

Hi Vijey_rockz
Congratulations on your purchase. Iam also planning for a similar setup shortly. But have quick question. What is your luminous inverter capacity as you have mentioned that you have connected all gears (TV, receiver, sub). Will the inverter not be overloaded? Also please clarify if receiver can be connected to inverter as some manufacturers have clearly recommend not to connect receiver to ups
Hi Vijey_rockz or Dear FM - Please clarify

Vijey_rockz

Hi Vijey_rockz or Dear FM - Please clarify
Hi Senthil,

Sorry for the late response, my inverter capacity is 1.2kva, the inverter load may be fine as the combined load is 70watts TV, 310watts receiver, 100watts subwoofer. Also I don't plan to operate them during power cut, the idea is to switch off them properly when power goes off, Rather than they getting turned off abruptly and turning on back abruptly after power comes back. It always bothers me, when devices turn off during a power cut, for some reason I prefer a proper power down for all my devices and strictly tell my family members not to turn off the switch without powering down the device properly using remote or power button.

Regarding connecting the receiver to ups ,I think if the inverter is a square wave inverter it is not recommend. mine is a sinewave inverter and these days most of the inverters are sine wave.

My flat is getting ready with electrical work is going on, so planning to connect entire 3bhk with 5kva servo stabilizer. And for dedicated media room, will have 1kva inverter connected to belkin surge protector and then devices will be connected. (W2700 projector, Onkyo HT5805 AV and Nvidia Shield) will this be fine or any changes to be done? please suggest

My flat is getting ready with electrical work is going on, so planning to connect entire 3bhk with 5kva servo stabilizer. And for dedicated media room, will have 1kva inverter connected to belkin surge protector and then devices will be connected. (W2700 projector, Onkyo HT5805 AV and Nvidia Shield) will this be fine or any changes to be done? please suggest

Love4sound

For your dedicated media room install separate line from MCB and use a good power conditioner.

fLUX

I am a little paranoid when it comes to equipments switching on and off repeatedly in a short span. This happens multiple times in Bangalore and since apartment backup inverters are not exactly switched immediately when electricity supply comes and goes , all equipment's go off and automatically start booting again.
That is the main reason I decided against a power conditioner and rather went for a 3KVA Online UPS for the entire room and personally recommend the same to others too.

I am a little paranoid when it comes to equipments switching on and off repeatedly in a short span. This happens multiple times in Bangalore and since apartment backup inverters are not exactly switched immediately when electricity supply comes and goes , all equipment's go off and automatically start booting again.
That is the main reason I decided against a power conditioner and rather went for a 3KVA Online UPS for the entire room and personally recommend the same to others too.
Thanks, pls share the 3kva model name which you are using? Is it sufficient of 1kva if i connect projector alone in ups instead of the whole room?

fLUX

Thanks, pls share the 3kva model name which you are using? Is it sufficient of 1kva if i connect projector alone in ups instead of the whole room?

I use Eaton 3KVA , will need to check the exact model. 1KVA will suffice for the projector and probably the AVR too , I have my entire room running on the same and never seen it exceed 40% (1 Projector, 1 AVR , 7.2.4 setup , Power Amp , PC, few more low load items and fan/lights)