HTiB under 40K SONY, ONKYO, YAMAHA or others

haisaikat

I am going to buy a HT for my new LCD TV (yet to purchase). I was looking at models of ONKYO like HTS5300 (around 55 K) and HTS3300 (within 33K) of which only the later is in my budget considering I would need to purchase the BD Player separately to cover everything within 40K or slightly more than that. In this respect I also found that YAMAHA YHT292 and YHT392 are also within the same range. Can anyone provide any feedback on these? Or do you recommend purchasing any standalone receiver with separate speaker system rather than single HTIBs? Please help.

I guess the price of Onkyo HTS3300 is somewhere around 24k but am sure that its not 33k.. Check out the other threads which can tell you the exact price.
I have heard from the reviews that the Onkyo HTS 3300 is VFM (entry level). The HTS 3300 receiver is damn good when it comes to specs.. But the sub is passive one..
U can also check out Harmon Kardon AVR 134 + JBL SCS 200.5 (30k).. I have an HK and it s really good and my req was active sub so i went for it..
Standalone receiver with separate speaker would be always good but would be beyond your budget...
check out the Xtreamer Sidewinder (9.7k) and WD LIVE HUB (200$) media players also before gng for BD player..
Hope it helps..

Thanks
Nag

thanks for your reply. I have an existing dvd player and hence can still club it with the HT as of now but it does not have HDMI. But my existing Asus Oplay has HDMI so i can still purchase BD player later on. So can you suggest some combination within 40 to 45 k without Bd player? Onkyo Hts 5300 was coming in 55k

onkyo 3300 prices 23500 in chennai from onkyo dealer ...but it comes with passive sub,wat is ur requirement movies or music?

onkyo 3300 prices 23500 in chennai from onkyo dealer ...but it comes with passive sub,wat is ur requirement movies or music?

For me it is mostly going to be movies as part of home theatre experiance. And sometimes may be once a wekk it can be radio or music. In this respect can you suggest me something that will be easily upgradable in future, may be agood receiver and standard speakers which i would be able to upgrade when i have budget.

also can you tell me what is the difference between passive and active sub for a novice understanding?

also can you tell me what is the difference between passive and active sub for a novice understanding?

Hi,
Please find the note below which can help u in understanding the difference..

"A passive subwoofer contains only a woofer in an enclosure with no amplification. An active subwoofer contains an on-board amplifier that will accept a low-level input and usually contains electronic crossovers. A passive subwoofer must be powered by an external amplifier and connected via speaker-level connection. Many times this passive subwoofer contains a built-in passive crossover that sends the bass to the subwoofer driver and passes the higher frequencies to the satellite speakers. This methodology is inherently difficult to implement and will usually result in very poor integration between the woofer and the satellites. Using an active subwoofer system will almost always provide superior results due to the greater control in matching output levels and matching the crossover point between the subwoofer and satellites"

You have more control over the bass in active where as in passive it has to be controlled from receiver.

Thanks
Nag

I also checked the sites of profx and found that Denon 1911 is coming under 45K and so is ONKYO TX-608. If I decide to go with standalone speaker and receiver by stretching my budget then will that work? But I see that ONKYO 608 is THX Select2 ceritified but DENON 1911 is not. Will that be any matter of difference between the two

Hi haisaikat

HTIB: Onkyo HT S3300 retails at around 23-25k in India. So do check at few stores first. Considering that your budget is around 40k, Onkyo HT S5300 will be a best bet for you at present. Few online stores like shopypurworld.com are offering it under 30k at present. And yes, 5300 will sound better for movies compared to 3300.

AVR: When last week I checked at Alfa-Mumbai, they quoted 34.5k for Denon 1911 while Onkyo was not available. But if you want to go for AVR route then it might be better for you to buy in online as the price difference is too much here in India.

Cheers...

Any idea on ONKYO 608 vs DENON 1911 which one will be better in case I decide to go with AVR option? And also will THX certification of ONKYO put it in advantage?

Any idea on ONKYO 608 vs DENON 1911 which one will be better in case I decide to go with AVR option? And also will THX certification of ONKYO put it in advantage?

i dont think thx certification alone can decide and uplift the value of a receiver,both are good receivers ,both are future proof ,better go for an audition and decide ur self ,many ppl in our forum will suggest 1911 including me:)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back