Ilaiyaraaja

There are some crrazzy guys who are ready to spend up to even 1500 for one cd especially rare ones. These guys buy it just for the sake of collection. I personally know a few. They won't even hear it. Just because of such guys, sellers are tempted to raise the price.

Pyramid CDs are now sold for 3k and above. And some titles are sold for 10k and above. Wonder who is that crazy guy who purchase these used CDs for that kind of price.

even around 2012 to 2014 when I purchased a lot of used CD's from Shops who were sort of winding up .....they said ....there are people from America / London / Singapore etc .....Indians and Sri Lankan Tamils ...who come for vacation and pick up CD's in Lot ....they were willing to pay a premium for certain titles ....Pyramid/ First Edition - Ilaiyaraaja / AR Rahman etc .....the rate then was Rs 500 for a used CD compared to the Rs 50 to 100 which I was paying ......

I had extra copies of a few CD's and sent it across to an acquaintance in Canada through the shopkeeper ..who regularly ships CD's to him .....he took a list of cd's which I did not have and sent it across to me from Canada ...(around 15 Ayngaran CD's) and refused take money saying ....that 45 to 50 CAD is the money that he spends on tea / coffee daily .... So when u convert this 3K to dollars ....for some of them its not a huge amount

The collector’s psychology is an entire academic field in itself :)
For the true music afficionado, this can be a real bane. When such people enter the fray, it is better not to participate and add fuel to the bidding war.
Fortunately there are kind folks who have been sharing remastered versions of old albums. The catalog is not very large, but he keeps adding to it occasionally.

+94 77 076 4494. Mr.sugi [Srilanka] Contact him if u need Ramiy CDs, IR and ARR titles. He also have Pyramid etc titles. Ramiy CD is very reasonably priced. Got lots of CDs from him. It takes sometime to ship as it has to come from Srilanka.

pyramid raja visiri avatharam cd is 15k!! one olx guy said this price!!! i was like wtf!!!! then i said ok u can take my cd and give me cash of 15k!! the call disconnected lol!! :p :p :p
That is nothing. Just enquire for Dalapathi Shankar edition CD. Also those initial Raja CDs Idhayam, Nadodi Thendral, Guna. These titles are released by Shankar pre pyramid era. Made in UK and very expensive. Used to sell for premium those days early 90s. Pyramid used to sell for MRP 700 in 90s. Shankar, Pyramid etc CDs are made in UK or Singapore and imported to India and hence higher price. Also their quality is good. Later they started making in India but by the time the titles released were not famous ones.

It is not just about the price but some of these CDs are not even available to buy used in good condition. I have come across few Dalapathi CDs but most of them in very bad condition. Since famous title heavily used.

thalapahi in shankar audio!! i feel its good! very soft sounding! no crispy creech creech highs like alai osai /lahari!!

thalapahi in shankar audio!! i feel its good! very soft sounding! no crispy creech creech highs like alai osai /lahari!!
This is the CD (Shankar edition Made in England)
Artwork_20190810_0001.jpg

Good part is it has songs from other Rajini films (Lahari releases) which are also of great quality pressing.
Cassette also sounds really good. But need to have the 1992 released ones. I believe later released ones (2000 or later) uses high speed dubbing and hence poor quality.
Artwork_20190810_0002.jpg

There are a few group roaming around always in the moore market, pallavaram market in chennai and roaming around the whole tamilnadu just to buy the cds and hike the price like anything. The only way is to stop the practice is just don't buy from them; strictly no body should buy. Definitely a time is coming; the original rights holding company will rerelease the albums oneday. Only when someone buys it for high rate just because they have money, true music lovers are suffering to buy because of heavy prices like in thousands for one single cd. They are not really worth it.

Dear Hassan,

Happy Bakrid.

The original recording itself was with high Treble. It was the system default to bring out the sharpness of all string instruments used for Rakkamma song. But in studio it was well and good and even in the first edition releases it sounded very good original audio cassettes. Lahari was the first rights holder. Later Pyramid had international rights. Later shankar cd had the rights for European countries. This is the matter. The whole cds were made out of only one master, the way they handled the master was little different. Shankar reduced the sharpness to a certain level. The first release of Annamalai and Thalapathi in India was also good. Later releases were not stampered, and just copied cds and those cds were not good.

There are a few group roaming around always in the moore market, pallavaram market in chennai and roaming around the whole tamilnadu just to buy the cds and hike the price like anything. The only way is to stop the practice is just don't buy from them; strictly no body should buy. Definitely a time is coming; the original rights holding company will rerelease the albums oneday. Only when someone buys it for high rate just because they have money, true music lovers are suffering to buy because of heavy prices like in thousands for one single cd. They are not really worth it.

Many of the first edition CDs are not sold in India. There are NRIs ready to pay the asking price. We are competing with those guys. I purchased many Pyramid CDs for ₹500-600/- . Glad I did.

I will agree that its not fair -- people have a very similar opinion about us when they see us using a CD player , buying CD's etc in this digital age :D .

I can recall all those things relatives and friends have told me

Forget CDs, don't we have even crazier guys who are ready to pay any amount for vinyl for that so called superior sound quality and those flutters and hisses, scratches etc you get free with it. :D
Dear Preth30,
Just don't say so called superior sound quality. Once you listen to 80's Stereo songs in Tamil and Hindi Films, with a new or good scratchless record with decent record player attached to a good amplifier with minimum of 3 way good speakers, in a AC Room, you will never open your mouth after that. It is that quality, you can see the Heaven in Earth. Ofcourse, if the records are scratched and using low end equipments will reverse the pleasure of listening to music.
Some people just for collection sake pay a lot for worthless records as they feel that collection itself is worth buying. They are not buying for enjoying the true music. Whatever it is genuine music lovers are not getting what they want only because of affordability, traders are getting everything whatever they want.

Dear Preth30,
Just don't say so called superior sound quality. Once you listen to 80's Stereo songs in Tamil and Hindi Films, with a new or good scratchless record with decent record player attached to a good amplifier with minimum of 3 way good speakers, in a AC Room, you will never open your mouth after that. It is that quality, you can see the Heaven in Earth. Ofcourse, if the records are scratched and using low end equipments will reverse the pleasure of listening to music.
Some people just for collection sake pay a lot for worthless records as they feel that collection itself is worth buying. They are not buying for enjoying the true music. Whatever it is genuine music lovers are not getting what they want only because of affordability, traders are getting everything whatever they want.

Very true and these days good records are over priced for an unknown hype. I have bought from different sellers. The same record is sold at actual price and some sellers sell it thrice it's price. I feel the demand is intentionally created.

Last edited:
Okay, fine, the taste is all subjective, cool; if you don't want those records please give it to me. I will buy it from you. But, onething, I don't know which songs you heard with your or friends tt. Just one day I will invite you, I will play and show you a song from Ilaimai Oonjalaadugirathu (Ore Naal Unai Naan) in a good player, then atleast you may change your mind. Kindly let me know if you have any ep lp records of 1980's tamil or telugu or kannada or malayalam or hindi. if any of your friends have them.

Okay, fine, the taste is all subjective, cool; if you don't want those records please give it to me. I will buy it from you. But, onething, I don't know which songs you heard with your or friends tt. Just one day I will invite you, I will play and show you a song from Ilaimai Oonjalaadugirathu (Ore Naal Unai Naan) in a good player, then atleast you may change your mind. Kindly let me know if you have any ep lp records of 1980's tamil or telugu or kannada or malayalam or hindi. if any of your friends have them.

Include me in your list. Will take half of it. LP sounds better to my ears :D

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back