LG 50PK550R Owner's Discussion Thread

My 550 is not starting . It gives a click sound when it starts like in normal operation, the panel brights up and within 1 sec the set automatically shuts down, This happens for 3 times (starts and stops). If you press the start button again the same thing happens. Called the LG service guy, he says need to replace the power unit. Shall post more on what happens when he replaces the power unit. Set is out of warranty. So don't know what will be the bill like.

My 550 is not starting . It gives a click sound when it starts like in normal operation, the panel brights up and within 1 sec the set automatically shuts down, This happens for 3 times (starts and stops). If you press the start button again the same thing happens. Called the LG service guy, he says need to replace the power unit. Shall post more on what happens when he replaces the power unit. Set is out of warranty. So don't know what will be the bill like.

Sad to know this. Any updates on how it turned around?

Saturday the guy came and changed the part. Actually it was one of the PCB panels that was replaced. The tv has 2 at the rear. One was changed. Total damage Rs. 4728/-. EXPENSIVE. Service Charges 1000/- Vat 12.5% Service tax 10.3%. The price of part was Rs. 3222/-. I was not home so could not get more details about the part.

One thing guys just remember to call the guys on a daily basis after you register the complain. When i called them on saturday my complained was erased and they had no record of it. I had to explain the Gentleman from the local service center over the phone about the physical appearance of the guy who had come to my place the first time to inspect the TV, so as to get my complaint recognized. This nice gentleman saw that the part was replaced that day itself as it had been more then 20 days since i had lodged my complaint.

One more thing i observed that they change the whole PCB. They don't repair the part that has gone wrong. In my office when the monitor repair guy comes most of the times he changes some transistor and the monitor works. Don't know if the same tech lies here but it could do me good by saving me money.

Cheers
Sid.

Nice to know that your TV back in action.

Service charges are high for all brands. Due to competitive pricing of the product itself, the charge a bomb during the service.

A safe year for my Plasma. I almost replaced it but held on after giving it some thought and advise from a B'lore buddy ;). The picture still amazes. What I miss is the sharpness in pictures as compared to LCDs.

Hoping to see "appropriately" priced Plasma or "better" crop of LEDs.

my pk550 started switching off automatically after 20-30 mins from last two days. Service guy from LG came in today, just cleaned up some dust at connectors, added solder at two places on the back of the PSU PCB and Tv stopped switching off for now.

Costed me 1100/- as service charges since mine was out of warrany by 6 odd months.

Although it seems to be working now, I am not too convinced with the repair, read quite a few threads of people having swollen capacitors after a year or so for the lg plasmas which resulted in replacing the power supply PCB (since LG does not do component replacement).

It's a shame that LG uses such low quality components on their plasmas(had similar experience with an LG oven wherein some component got busted after warranty period, and they replaced the entire PCB without any troubleshooting, costed me over 1500 then).

Our older BPL crt had excellent components in comparison, it worked great for what seems like an eternity now, we only had to open it to add the tuner to increase channels.

Moral: No more LG

Got the LG Extended cover for 1 year for 5600/-
Extended warranty for 2 years was 9300 odd and for 3 years was 13300 odd after 15% discount.
Service center guy mentioned that if one opts for 1 year extended warranty while the original 1 year warranty is in place then you get a 15% off on the extended warranty, I was not aware about that.

Friends,

Trying to revive this thread by seeking feedback on 50" LG Plasmas as I am contemplating one - budget of 60K-70K (after 25% discount on MRP) that I will get from LG (some jugaad). Other option is to go for the more expensive Samsung / Panasonic models which seem to be recommended by lot of people on this forum... however wanted to seek an opinion from the actual LG owners here.. how would you rate it in terms of (and if you can compare with Sammy/Panasonic you have seen):

1. Picture Quality
2. Blacks
3. Performance in not so bright room
4. Issues faced/ problems
5. After Sales Service for repairs etc
6. Other feedback

Would be glad to hear from you as I intend to finalize my unit in couple of days.

Friends,

Trying to revive this thread by seeking feedback on 50" LG Plasmas as I am contemplating one - budget of 60K-70K (after 25% discount on MRP) that I will get from LG (some jugaad). Other option is to go for the more expensive Samsung / Panasonic models which seem to be recommended by lot of people on this forum... however wanted to seek an opinion from the actual LG owners here.. how would you rate it in terms of (and if you can compare with Sammy/Panasonic you have seen):

1. Picture Quality
2. Blacks
6. Other feedback

Would be glad to hear from you as I intend to finalize my unit in couple of days.

its a 1+ year old model now. I don't know if better versions have arrived from LG or competitors but this one is still awesome!! Watching HD channels is wow. If you place it in dark room then you shall achieve best quality.

1. Picture Quality - among Best ( HD contents )
2/3. Blacks are really good ( panel performs great in dark room)
4. No.
5. Excellent ( they come whenever I call :) - even I don't have problem in screen:) )
6. Only worried about cleaning the screen. Marks do not go easily

I got the fhd 50 incher i.e. pz 550 and am quite happy with the purchase till date. Had one stuck pixel and convinced LG to change the panel.

Bought it as I got good price at that point of time.

Buy it fast and enjoy the new tv before new tech comes in around 4-5 yrs max

I wouldn't trust that review or recommendation. Samsung E550 would be better value or better still Panasonic ST50.

Yes they are - but more expensive too :sad:

Panny ST50 is for 100k - awesome TV ofcourse and 3 yr warranty
Panny UT50 is without neoplasma panel but 2500 HZ- price 85k
Panny XT50 is HD ready and 600 HZ - price 62k

Sammy E550 for 75-77k (nowadays with blue ray player) and 2 yr ext warranty will be 12-15k so total 90k approx

LG PA6500 will cost me 55k (they have mfg unit here so discount) and 2 years ext warranty will cost 10k so total 65K. Full HD and not smart TV.

With my 70k budget for 50" - I can go for LG 6500, Panny XT50, Stretch for Samsung E550 for 1 yr warranty.

Wish life was simple...:indifferent14:

Friends,

Panasonic TVs are the best for pure pic quality. But expensive. Have you tried looking for previous year Panasonic models? I do not know their price. But if you could find older models at steep discount it might give you better PQ. I would not be surprised if 2011 top of the line models(GT/G series) of Panasonic provide better PQ that current generation of lower tier Samsung/LG TVs.

1. Picture Quality
2. Blacks
6. Other feedback

1 & 2. Very subjective and hence no comment. Except that I love it. It was able to render all shades of black and white when I used THX DVD to calibrate the TV. Not all TVs can do that. I watch TV through Cable. In my opinion Upscaling of this TV is lot better than LCDs that I have seen connected to Setup Top Box.

3. Performance is better in the darker room. I mostly watch movies in dark room though I have put bias lighting.

4. None.
5. n/a.
6. Only annoyance is if you use Cable. When you change the channel, the OSD of the TV pops up in top-right corner covering the channel logo. So if you are browsing the channels it becomes annoying sometimes. You will have to wait a few seconds for the TV OSD to fade to know which channel you are in. If you either name all the channels or remember the channel by their channel numbers its not a big deal.

I think most of the members moved to better TVs. Its hard to find anyone buying an LG plasma in the past couple of years after the pk50's one off hit in the forum.

Folks, reviving an old thread. has anyone tried to do a software update on 50PK550R using the latest software from the following link: LG 50PK550 Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG UK

By the way, my 50PK550R will turn 4 this year :)

guess few members left with the LG plasma.. i was about to buy one however knows dead pixel issues and moving colours pushed me to buy LG IPS LCD which i am happy bout..

doubt you'd find owners with PK550R... maybe very few and as FM mentioned... most of them moved to better screens...

:D

I packed off the LG to my friends' when I got the Panasonic 50GT50. He is loving the LG and it is going strong. It was real value for money.

It would be interesting to hear from past PK550 owners what they moved on to. I am a happy owner of Samsung 64F8500.

Still using mine. Watch 2 -3 movies a week on it. Still marvel at the colors. After connecting it through a power conditioner the image seems to have improved. No plans of buying another TV. Will upgrade to a projector in a year or so. Good buy.

Hi Guys,

The last post in this thread was in May 2014 and now posting this today. My 550 completed six years yesterday. Thanks to this wonderful forum I was able to buy a 50 inch plasma which is still going strong. I think many of you moved on to other models while some of you may still have it. Would love to hear your experiences.

Cheers,
Sid.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back