Listening impressions to bhagwan's set up - part II [July, 2014]

Hi Bhagwan,

I really like your setup. Mine would look like a garbage bin next to yours. May I ask you about your room's floor plan. I can't help noticing that the speakers/setup are placed at the vertex of what looks like a triangular shaped room.

Thanx.

Sir,
I live in a very small apartment in Mumbai.
The Flat is less than 400 sq. ft. in size & this room is less than 175 sq. ft.
Besides, there are several other difficulties in set up. The Speakers are rear ported & the port fires into the wall @ distance of less than 1 inch.
The Speakers are wider apart than the distance between the speakers & the listener.
The Listening position is bang on the rear wall - so it is again a no no.
Lots of issues.
Yet, the sound is not bad - I can live with it ! Thank God !

p.s. The Room is 100 % a triangle.

Hello Mr.Bhagwan, are you using the power cords with the North American NEMA 5-15 type 3 pin wall plugs ?
Some audiophiles say: That is for 120v and not suitable to our 220v. Also I need for clarification about this thing that: When we use the NEMA plugs in India, the LIVE blade will be in the NEUTRAL and the NEUTRAL will be in the LIVE. Are US made, factory terminated, branded Power cables made with the same metal, and same specification on both LIVE & NEUTRAL wires? or special different materials? If so the Special different wires will work quite opposit in India? Then no use by invest in high end cables. Please clarify. Thank you.
Cheers.
sunder.

Hello Mr.Bhagwan, are you using the power cords with the North American NEMA 5-15 type 3 pin wall plugs ?
Some audiophiles say: That is for 120v and not suitable to our 220v. Also I need for clarification about this thing that: When we use the NEMA plugs in India, the LIVE blade will be in the NEUTRAL and the NEUTRAL will be in the LIVE. Are US made, factory terminated, branded Power cables made with the same metal, and same specification on both LIVE & NEUTRAL wires? or special different materials? If so the Special different wires will work quite opposit in India? Then no use by invest in high end cables. Please clarify. Thank you.
Cheers.
sunder.

Sir,

I suppose you are talking about the Power Cord on the Velodyne Sub - I think.
It is a DIY Job. Post # 119 - correct me if I got the incorrect post you were referring to; Please.
I use a UK Plug - Wall Socket.
Jorma Design Cable - Power Cable - Sweden
Oyaide C-079 - IEC Plug.
P-079 / C-079 / P-079e / C-279 ????????????????????????????????oyaide?
Oyaide C-079 IEC Connector | Forum | What Hi-Fi?
Oyaide C-079

This is the only DIY Cable I am using.
All my other Power Cords are Euro Schucko & they go into Custom Power Distribution Box - Oyaide [Japan] Female Plugs.
Details are here :-
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/31222...yaide-schucko-p-u-resin-sound-foundation.html

Last edited:
Hello Mr.Bhagwan,
Then no use by invest in high end cables. Please clarify. Thank you.
Cheers.
sunder.

Sunder,
Cables make a huge change;
Just remember a cable can only show difference if it is there...It cannot creat one for you.
The best way to find out is rather simple.
Go to a mid fi set up - say 10 Lacs.
Use a MX Power Cord & then use a 1,000 USD Power Cord on the Source.
You will surely 'hear' a difference.
The important thing is - can you 'justify' that price change ? The Noise Floor will drop. Things will get clean - there will be better spacing between artist & instruments will be well defined etc. etc. I could go on writing - but it will be come like a reviewer writing in a magazine. Best is to listen & decide for your self. I was with a few friends last night & we changed a vDH Power Cord on a CD [Meitner MA-2] Player to a Transparent PLMM - Transparent Audio - Transparent Cable Power Cords
& the change in sound was huge - 1 second.
ftn52f.jpg

This was a pic with old cables. vDH i.e.

sunder asked:
branded Power cables made with the same metal, and same specification on both LIVE & NEUTRAL wires? or special different materials?

Both Live and Neutral use identical materials......

Sunder,
Cables make a huge change;
Just remember a cable can only show difference if it is there...It cannot creat one for you.
The best way to find out is rather simple.
Go to a mid fi set up - say 10 Lacs.
Use a MX Power Cord & then use a 1,000 USD Power Cord on the Source.
You will surely 'hear' a difference.
The important thing is - can you 'justify' that price change ? The Noise Floor will drop. Things will get clean - there will be better spacing between artist & instruments will be well defined etc. etc. I could go on writing - but it will be come like a reviewer writing in a magazine. Best is to listen & decide for your self. I was with a few friends last night & we changed a vDH Power Cord on a CD [Meitner MA-2] Player to a Transparent PLMM - Transparent Audio - Transparent Cable Power Cords
& the change in sound was huge - 1 second.
ftn52f.jpg

This was a pic with old cables. vDH i.e.

bhagwan, I am using the power cables of Kimber PK-10 Gold and the interconnects of VDH-The second and VDH- 'The Jubilee' Silver Hybrid for my CDPs and Amp. I feel the sonic difference by interconnects rather than power cables. But the differences between MX & 1000USD will be CLEARLY as NIGHT & DAY. Thank you.
Cheers,
sunder.

Last week I had the pleasure of listening to "Bhagwan's" new set up.

While the speakers are the same, everything else in the setup has changed. So when I went up for a listen I was kind if prepared for the sound as I had heard the loudspeakers. I knew that I would get to hear a very detailed sound, compromised a little because this time around the super day that he used to have would not be in the chain. These, at least we're the assumptions that I went into the listening session with....

I could not have been more wrong! On all counts except for the bit about the set up being very detailed!

The sound this time around was extremely detailed but with a hint of the tubelike warmth. Just a hint, mind you! But apart from that the dynamic swings, the micro details and the delicate decay all added up to an experience that was mesmerising.

This set up is playing at a level that is clearly upto 5 times it's price point. A must listen to anyone who wants to understand how a nicely tuned system should playback at ones home!

Thanks Bhagwan for the time.

Last week I had the pleasure of listening to "Bhagwan's" new set up.

The sound this time around was extremely detailed but with a hint of the tubelike warmth. Just a hint, mind you! But apart from that the dynamic swings, the micro details and the delicate decay all added up to an experience that was mesmerising.

This set up is playing at a level that is clearly upto 5 times it's price point. A must listen to anyone who wants to understand how a nicely tuned system should playback at ones home!

Thanks Bhagwan for the time.

It was a pleasure to welcome MM @ my place.
We did spend a few hours immersed in music.
It was a good time.
I am thankful to MM for the 'kind words' & he has 'accurately' stated what he heard.
On a personal front - I am more than 'satisfied' with the performance - the Sub - SPL 800i was further tuned & placed on Sound Foundations Issolators & the performance has improved - to my ears at least.
:clapping:

I had immense pleasure visiting Bhagwans crib last weekend, to individuals who don't know him personally MJ is a great host second to none, very welcoming & though his music room might lack the appropriate space it exudes a kind of homely warmth MJ makes sure you feel at home (thanks MJ).

The passion and drive for hi-fi sound that MJ has seems amazing, like hes dedicated his whole life to it. Very positive energy, he is very open minded to 'critique' Given this highly subjective domain, where almost everything can be countered.

This introduction has a specific purpose, which is putting together a very brief presentation of the reason why I have a very large amount of respect towards MJ.

The sensation of absolute control that the A&M amplifiers create is overwhelming. The dynamism of the amplifiers can be felt from the first harmonies; Making the Tidal's sing like a canary from the word 'GO'.

Very effortless, like an athlete winning the race without running at full capacity, aware of their own value and the fact that theres more that they can do. (I'm into fitness so pardon my analogy :))

We played some of my favourites Pink Floyd DSOTM (my reference), burmester ref. III (thank you INDIANEARS) and then MJ played some great stuff comprising of some Female vocals, Stream played by Dave Matthews band & Tim Reynolds, Dire Straits (For micro details, Dire Straits is pure gold), French male vocals (sounded super)...

The addition of the Velodyne subwoofer seems like a welcome change for his setup. The control of low-frequency sounds is most impressive that I have heard at his place.

Being researching over the past few months for building "A hi end dedicated Audio PC", I felt there was great potential for improvising the SQ with the addition of a LPSU & a LifePo4 Battery PS to his MOBO, OS SSD & Music playback SSD. AO optimiser + Win 2012 R2 also 'must have' tools for a computer audiophile. I also expressed my bias towards a discrete audiophile USB card but MJ does not agree.

All in all I had a wonderful time, thank you MJ for the hospitality and the magical music experience. Bravo :clapping:

Made a few changes;
The DAD AX-24 was 'replaced' with the Meitner MA -1 - USB Cable was introduced. The MA-1 now comes with a new software update - firmware.
I 'prefer' the MA-1 to the DAD AX-24 now.
Hence, I will list the AX-24 + RME / AES 32 up for sale soon.
Shall post pics - new USB Cable - France was also put into the chain.
:yahoo:
The 'sound' has improved - imho - even more satisfied now....:eek:hyeah:

I got a chance to hear the system around 10 days setup (still with the DAD AX-24 at the time). I had heard the system two years before but a lot had changed since then: all electronics (DAC, preamp, amplifier), playback software and even the speaker stands.

Quoted below are the impressions I had posted the last time I heard the system. All that still holds true.
I got a chance to listen to Bhagwans system a few days back. Ive put down my listening impressions below:

Setup and constraints
- The major constraint in the system seems to be the room with speaker placement close to the wall and distance from the listening position is small
- It is obvious that a lot of care has been taken to optimize the system to play as well as possible given the constraints of the room

Sound
- Tonality is excellent, as is the level of transparency that the system portrays
- Extension at both ends is again excellent
- Microdynamics are present in abundance
- Vocals have the you are there quality
- The soundstage is well defined and wide. The excellent soundstage depth in particular stands out given the close listening position
- Integration with the subwoofers is excellent
- The only area where the system falls somewhat short is in large scale macrodynamics. This is to be expected given the room and speaker size. Even in this, it is better than the majority of systems that I have heard

Incrementally, what I felt has improved between that and the current iteration was:
- the tonality has moved up a few notches
- the soundstage is even better - at times I felt the sound was coming from the window at the other side of the room!
- the bass has more presence and impact now
- the "you are there" quality is felt even more
- macrodynamics seem to have improved a bit

Overall, listening to the system proved just what level of sound is possible in a small room.

Many thanks to Bhagwan for his hospitality. Discussions with him about music playback are always insightful.

Made a few changes;
The DAD AX-24 was 'replaced' with the Meitner MA -1 - USB Cable was introduced. The MA-1 now comes with a new software update - firmware.
I 'prefer' the MA-1 to the DAD AX-24 now.
Hence, I will list the AX-24 + RME / AES 32 up for sale soon.
Shall post pics - new USB Cable - France was also put into the chain.
:yahoo:
The 'sound' has improved - imho - even more satisfied now....:eek:hyeah:

That is real nice to hear. Glad that USB is finally working for you. Did you buy a dedicated USB card or is this via the motherboard USB ports?

That is real nice to hear. Glad that USB is finally working for you. Did you buy a dedicated USB card or is this via the motherboard USB ports?

Sir,
No USB Card as yet;
I was just connecting it through M/B USB.
I also have the option of RME [Sound Card] to Meitner DAC - but there I am restricted to 24/192 - here i can go to DSD & even Dual DSD - SACD i.e.
Not that DSD is better - but all works on the 'fly' so convenience is very high.
I may invest in a dedicated USB Card & a LPS - soon - just waiting for a 'big enough' power supply to be released.:)

I got a chance to hear the system
Many thanks to Bhagwan for his hospitality.
Discussions with him about music playback are always insightful.
Sir,
Most Welcome.
You are always welcome to my house when you visit.
Always a pleasure to host you.
The Big Change is the SUB - the 1 SPL 800i is leagues ahead of the Martin Logan that I had. This is a 'gem' - I recommend it very highly.
The Bass has laid a huge foundation to the musical notes in my room. I am so happy & satisfied with its performance. Hope it remains @ this level for a while to come.:D

FM Bhagwan,

I would not be surprised seeing the 200,000 Pounds Wilson Audio Alexandria X2 in your home in the next few years. :D

Respected Mr. Kumar,
Sir,
If I had the space - what I would get is either of these 2 :-

a]
Marten Design - Sweden - Coltrane Supreme 2
21nirnq.png

b]
Tidal Audio - Germany - Agoria
1zeibv7.jpg

p.s. I am not a lover of Wilson Audio Sound - Although I do like the Alexia as a fun speaker.
p.s.s. If only God gave me the 'space' - what I would not do with it !! But Alas...

November 22nd, 2014

Made a 'few' changes.

DAD DAC AX-24 was 'removed'
Power Sockets were changed - main supply from ELCB to Distribution Box.
MK removed Schneider installed.
Power Cords were 'schuffled'
Echole Obsession Power Cords went on to the Power Amps.
Silencable Symphony was moved to the Pre.
DAC - Meitner - got a Telos Power Cord [Taiwan] - may try the 2nd Silencable Symphony here - still trials are in progress.
Velodyne Sub - SPL 800i was 'moved' & frequency [cut off] was 'adjusted'
New USB Cable was introduced - French - Absolue Creations - USB TIM.

A few pics :-

fk7l8o.jpg

346x2md.jpg

2h6u2pu.jpg

1znag05.jpg

ipcuit.jpg

2mo9is0.jpg

1zclqxc.jpg

9fzjx0.jpg

w8srp0.jpg

Hope the pics load....

Last 5 + days - Audio Set Up was 'down'
All gear was opened & removed from the room.
Full Power Supply lines were changed.
BEST Meter to 2 Pole Issolator - in BEST Room was 4 leads of 7/20 Wire - Twisted.
Cable from BEST Room to House was shielded in lead.
Into the Distribution Box - ELCB was Le Grand [63A] - then to 3 MCB's of 32A each. Each feeding a Schneider DP & 15A Socket - 3 pieces.
All this was 'new' - older goods were all removed & replaced. They were performing well - but due to age [10 years] I wanted to get all wires and sockets & ELCB's & MCB's etc. changed.
System just started.
Lots of effort was involved - but the result is 'sublime' listening to The Rain by Ghazal
http://www.amazon.com/Rain-Ghazal/dp/B00008UAGA
Sounding super - really enjoying myself....:)

Missed my music for 1 week...:sad:

Bhagwan, great to hear it. Congrats ! any special cables from BEST to your house ?
BTW how is the Velodyne sub integeration ? also any points on to how are you crossing this over from the mains?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back