Looking for new speakers

Panditji,

In my (limited) view: For SQ, Magnepans are miles ahead, but the dealer issue remains. And the pricing is not right. Both the negatives were deal breakers for me, which is why I chose Martin Logans. I'm very happy with the dealer and the SQ. If you don't live on the coast, humidity may not be an issue. I vacuum the panels at least once a month. So far so good.

Let us know what you decide.

Best wishes

Thank you sir for the help... I do like warmth as you rightly pointed out and like the Harbeth sound..But this time I am looking for a slightly bigger driver and the SHL5+ has the same driver as my Compact 7ES3s and therefore the difference is not going to be much....

I am myself leaning towards the Tannoy Turnberrys but the Indian distributor is not responding as usual and if I have to import it myself then I can get decent used speakers as well.. I am in no hurry and will try and explore all options...

Please keep the suggestions coming....

If you are open to buying used speakers, you could also consider a pair of vintage Celestion Ditton 66s or the more recent Celestion A3s. They could well suit your listening tastes.

They occasionally appear on ebay and other sites at around a thousand dollars or so. I am myself on the hunt for a pair.

All the best for your quest.

Recently got Harbeth 40.2 and a huge upgrade from SHL5. If budget permits you should consider them. Also I wish you could come to Bangalore for audition.

Sir, I heard the 40.2 last year in 2 different dealer setups and was super impressed... but it is way too expensive and needs a nice big room which I don't have... To me the Spendor SP100 R2 seemed just right but it is also too expensive and does not go down that low atleast on paper although to me the lower frequencies sounded just right in both the rooms....

The 40.2 are just a little bigger but much better speakers but then at double the cost... I would be interested in the SHL5 if you do decide to buy the SP200 for the second system....

That is the result of upgrade path I had chosen. Now want to have compact 7 and Monitor 30.1 also in my collection when finance permits.

.... Now want to have compact 7 and Monitor 30.1 also in my collection when finance permits.

Just saw this post and had to comment.
That would be an awesome collection of Harbeth speakers in one location!

How do you compare the SHL5 with the M40.2 and M30.1?

Regards.

Panditji

Are you open to semi DiY?

Check out the Seas A26 kit. Avbl from Madison if you can get it here by someone coming from USA.

10 inch Midbass with 35 mm dome tweeter and a simple crossover.

Just a different spin... On this topic

Regards

had an opportunity yesterday to listen to these speakers in Surat.

Coupled to a Bel Canto amp..

all i can say is..... wonderful !

Gorgeous looking and effortless music poured into your ears...

The owner wants a bit of tweak by adjusting the damping but thats his personal taste overall..

This speaker yet has to breakin..

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Panditji,

Not sure if this is up your alley - Dynaudio has a new contour model - the contour 20 standmount, which was released in the later part of last year.

Not too many reviews on the internet yet of this yet. There are a couple of reviews on stereophile and pinkfishmedia. These may be worth checking out.

Best,
apk

P.S - have not heard these - just read about this while searching for something. Have no affiliation to this brand

P.P.S - definitely meets your criteria of looking 'stylish'!

Last edited:
Thank you sir .. I checked the Contour 20 and the impedance is 4 ohms at 86db sensitivity which will make it difficult for my Luxman integrated to drive it..
I have more or less decided on the Tannoy Turnberry GR for now and if nothing else comes up in the next 1 month, will buy them... They are efficient, can do all kinds of music and hopefully should have better clarity than their previous models....

Last edited:
I have more or less decided on the Tannoy Turnberry GR for now and if nothing else comes up in the next 1 month, will buy them...

Great! have heard (rather read) good words about those speakers. Just out of curiosity, what price range do these retail for in India?

Best,
apk

Panditji,

What is your speaker to sitting distance. Do you fill the air pressure(impact) while enjoying the music?

Back