Looking for new speakers

If you like bass, another speaker line to look at are audionotes.

Another friend from Bangalore has ordered the Audionotes along with their SET amp.... So waiting for his review once he gets them... And Audionotes pair well with their own amp so that would increase the cost and I am quite happy with my amp..

Squarewave

Music at home - is a combination of what the senses feel in an integrated manner considering the addition of the sound + visuals of the system itself. Its part psychology.

Therefore floor stander speakers have the natural advantage of standing tall and appearing to deliver ;)

The series wont matter - as long as the music is good and the psychology is met.

anyways - thats just my 2 paisa.. ( pre demonetization.. :lol: )

PS : Does the Lakshman's VU meters add to the music ?? But panditji wants to retain them and one of the major visual attractions are those meters..:)

regards

I have narrowed down to Tannoy Turnberrys (Available at double the UK prices in India) which I think makes sense to import, Magnepan 1.7i (the bass and room placement seem to be issues but I have always wanted to own one), SF Ellipsa SE in red violin finish (way beyond my budget but then you only live once).... The next speakers have to be substantially better than the Compact 7s otherwise it makes no sense to upgrade...

Lakshmanji is a well designed amplifier which does it's job decently and in their champagne gold finish and yellow VU meters look great.. Also upgrading speakers with a little bit of room correction can bring substantial benefits than changing an amplifier...

Last edited:
I have narrowed down to Tannoy Turnberrys (Available at double the UK prices in India) which I think makes sense to import, Magnepan 1.7i (the bass and room placement seem to be issues but I have always wanted to own one), SF Ellipsa SE in red violin finish (way beyond my budget but then you only live once).... The next speakers have to be substantially better than the Compact 7s otherwise it makes no sense to upgrade...

Lakshmanji is a well designed amplifier which does it's job decently and in their champagne gold finish and yellow VU meters look great.. Also upgrading speakers with a little bit of room correction can bring substantial benefits than changing an amplifier...

panditji

my suggestion is you look for speakers avbl in delhi / mumbai / bangalore etc..

The tannoys will make sense to import if somebody carries them for you... the headache of import and duties etc.. may not be worth it. But i dont know what you think about importing.

If SF Ellipsa rocks your boat - then simply go for it. It satisfies all the conditions which you desire in your next speaker. The added advantage is that the cost is high so you will not ( again ) lurk around these forums looking for speakers :lol:

Maggies - maybe you may like a bigger version - but thats something you must listen to and decide. Maggies have a brand value as well but will it satisfy your bass criteria ??

regards

panditji

my suggestion is you look for speakers avbl in delhi / mumbai / bangalore etc..

The tannoys will make sense to import if somebody carries them for you... the headache of import and duties etc.. may not be worth it. But i dont know what you think about importing.

If SF Ellipsa rocks your boat - then simply go for it. It satisfies all the conditions which you desire in your next speaker. The added advantage is that the cost is high so you will not ( again ) lurk around these forums looking for speakers :lol:

Maggies - maybe you may like a bigger version - but thats something you must listen to and decide. Maggies have a brand value as well but will it satisfy your bass criteria ??

regards

Sir, nothing is available in Delhi so no point restricting myself... I have been importing signages and other retail branding products since the last 10 years and have always bought equipment from abroad... It is worth importing the products looking at the exhorbitant prices in India.. So if I cannot hear them before buying, I might as well buy them at the best possible rates to reduce the risk.... Why pay commissions to the retailers if they don't stock any products...

You are right about the Ellipsas .. It will save me a lot of man hours which I spend online and restrict my upgrade choices in the future...

Maggies, I just cannot make up my mind even though I have heard them with different equipment in different places and have liked them all the time...

If I am still confused, the Harbeth SHL5+ can be picked up on the annual vacation in June...Till then I have the time to explore all possible options...

I am in no hurry and therefore will keep looking at all options

The sHL5 will be the least ranked amongst all your choices ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have heard Tannoys..... to my ears they sound different from Maggies....if you like the Maggie sound, please make sure you do your due diligence:)

I have spoken to him a couple of times before but nobody in Delhi has the Blumenhofers... I know a number of people who have heard them and raved about them but did not buy them even though the pricing in India is at par with German prices (very rare phenomena)

Dont go by that logic. There is lot of marketing at play. I have met a few really senior dealers and audiophiles from Europe side and they are actually super curious about why these speakers dont sell so much in India. They are very well respected out there. Believe in your ears only.

I love the Harbeth Super HL5 plus. They're Awesome. My source is Linn Majik LP12, Esoteric SA 50, Linn Majik DS and Linn Majik I Amp. They sound simply breathtaking.

EnvyRao
Mumbai
Linn M109 Aktiv, Linn M-I, Linn M4100, Linn-MLP12, Linn M-DS, Linn Silver IC, CHAKT74-75-76, QNAP212P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some new tannoy speakers also launched called legacy series. look at them also since you are going to do the importing.

Audio Note AX 2 will be the nice choice. But appearance will be very very simple and basic. But you search for the luxurious cabinet finish.

Panditji,

Sir, nothing is available in Delhi so no point restricting myself...

If you are willing to consider the Blumenhofers, may I suggest you listen to the Lyrita Bookshelf Horns. And, they are available in Delhi, and won't break your bank!

Regards,
Viren

Audio Note AX 2 will be the nice choice. But appearance will be very very simple and basic. But you search for the luxurious cabinet finish.

I am not searching for a luxury speaker.. It's only the SF Ellipsa whose looks have caught my fancy... The Tannoys and Harbeths are the simple looking speakers and even the Magnepans have no such luxurious finish....

The reason I am apprehensive about the AN speakers is because of cost and the fact that they work the best with their own amplifiers which will add further to the cost... I can get the Harbeth SHL5+ which will have a similar sound but much cheaper and I do not even have to change my amp...

Audionote speakers are better known for their 'musicality' than 'looks' :)

There are umpteen options (both spec and finish wise) available to suit various budgets/ means to reach the so called 'audio nirvana'

Also pl rethink if you want to 'limit' your options by what matches your amp or a complete solution that 'better' satisfies & takes your audio journey to the next levels.

As you rightly said,
... but then you only live once)
do take your time and audition. All the best!

Audionote speakers are better known for their 'musicality' than 'looks' :)

There are umpteen options (both spec and finish wise) available to suit various budgets/ means to reach the so called 'audio nirvana'

Also pl rethink if you want to 'limit' your options by what matches your amp or a complete solution that 'better' satisfies & takes your audio journey to the next levels.

As you rightly said, do take your time and audition. All the best!

You are right sir but I look at everything from the point of value a product brings with respect to the cost....Audio Nirvana is fine but at a cost since my money is limited...

Anyways I am looking forward to hearing your impressions on the Audio Note system once you set it up.... Waiting eagerly for your review..

Panditji,

If you are willing to consider the Blumenhofers, may I suggest you listen to the Lyrita Bookshelf Horns. And, they are available in Delhi, and won't break your bank!

Regards,
Viren

Sir, could you please write here about the Prices and models of Lyrita Bookshelf Horns? Are they have cross over and are the drivers of Alnico magnet ? Also, please let us know: Are they suitable only to tube amps? Thanks.
Sunder.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back