Looking for new speakers

Some more speakers (since you are open to importing), that either I have listened to or got first hand reports from people whose ears I trust. Many should work with your amplifier.
Vandersteen treo
Sonics by Joachim Gerhard ( highly recommended )
Marten Django, L

if you are really considering harbeth arent you better off with the 30.1 ?

Demoing Harbeth Super HL5 Plus against my Harbeth M30.1s | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

My thought as well. But he needs more bass in terms of extension and volume.

30.1 has some of the most detailed bass I have heard.You should try and look at a combination of subs with the 30.1 since your room is large. It will be very rewarding.

From a sound quality perspective, 30.1 is ahead of the Shl5 plus as well as the compact 7. I have heard them side by side. 30.1 communicates the overall essence of the music better with more details.

Last edited:
30.1 is better than both SHL5+ and Compact 7 but it is only a small upgrade from my Compact 7.. Also I do miss a little bit of the low extension and while 30.1 gives clean bass, I would need to install a subwoofer and getting them to mate correctly is going to be a task... Again I would need stands and placement would come into play...

I have crossed out the Ellipsas as they were too expensive. I spoke to another enthusiast who owns the SHL5+, Tannoy Canterbury and Westminster Royal and had owned SF Ellipsas who talked me out of the Ellipsas and has steered me to the Turnberry... So I think I have narrowed down my choices to either the Turnberry or Magnepan 1.7i with an small sub... If I have to use a sub, I would rather use it with a Magnepan than with the 30.1

So I think I have narrowed down my choices to either the Turnberry or Magnepan 1.7i with an small sub... If I have to use a sub, I would rather use it with a Magnepan than with the 30.1

If you are getting into subs, you need two not one. Multiple subs is what makes bass setup easier. Else stay with floor standers.

Tannoy is very expressive and dynamic.

Dr Bass is your man. Talk to him. I heard his tannoy in Singapore.

Last edited:
I have heard the Stirling and the Glen Airs and was impressed by both of them... 2 subs is just too much and maybe in a bigger dedicated room, I would have used them with a Maggie but not in a living room... The Tannoys would sound nice and fit well into the room and I believe they are not very fussy about placement as well....

The fact that Dr. Bass continues to buy and sell amps and Dacs but not the Turnberrys means he is onto something special and that is why I am keen on Turnberrys as they are supposedly a little better than the Stirlings which I have heard a couple of times...

The fact that Dr. Bass continues to buy and sell amps and Dacs but not the Turnberrys means he is onto something special and that is why I am keen on Turnberrys as they are supposedly a little better than the Stirlings which I have heard a couple of times...

I really believe the Turnberry is at the sweet spot of the whole prestige line . That is what I was looking for as well and I really believe a great fit with your amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard the Eminent Technology speakers ages ago. Really nice sounding - nothing pesky, and fairly well balanced. Music lovers speakers. However needed a powerful amplifier and could not be just plonked down anywhere if I remember right.

I have heard the Eminent Technology speakers ages ago. Really nice sounding - nothing pesky, and fairly well balanced. Music lovers speakers. However needed a powerful amplifier and could not be just plonked down anywhere if I remember right.

Most speakers are that way. :)

Spatial Audio - Open baffle speakers are another option.

Great speakers no doubt..but a very different presentation to Box speakers so its very individual if you like them or not

M choices are down to the Maggies 1.7i and the Turnberrys.. Both are different sounding, different costs with different challenges... I basically have to decide how much I want to spend...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back