Marantz PM5005 Query

Black_Hawk

Hello folks,

A few days back I ended up ordering a Marantz PM5005 and it arrived this morning! Super excited to have it and will be ordering new speakers soon. However, I do have a spare pair of MICCA MB42 speakers with me which I wanted to know if I can connect with the PM5005? I just wanted to try and check the PM5005 connected to the the MICCA's to test the PM5005 out and see if it powers ON and is functioning.

Here is the link for the MICCA MB42 if someone wants to have a look: MICCA MB42

Quick Specs of the MB42 are as below:

Woofer: 4″ Carbon Fiber Cone with Rubber Surround
Tweeter: 0.75″ Silk Dome
Enclosure: Ported
Frequency Response: 60Hz-20kHz
Impedance: 4-8 Ohms
Sensitivity: 85dB 1W/1M
Power Handling: 75 Watts (Each)

Thanks!

Go ahead, connect and enjoy till your new speakers arrive. Go easy on the volume though. Just curious, why did you think that you cannot connect the marantz to these speakers ?

Hello folks,

A few days back I ended up ordering a Marantz PM5005 and it arrived this morning! Super excited to have it and will be ordering new speakers soon. However, I do have a spare pair of MICCA MB42 speakers with me which I wanted to know if I can connect with the PM5005? I just wanted to try and check the PM5005 connected to the the MICCA's to test the PM5005 out and see if it powers ON and is functioning.

Here is the link for the MICCA MB42 if someone wants to have a look: MICCA MB42

Quick Specs of the MB42 are as below:

Woofer: 4″ Carbon Fiber Cone with Rubber Surround
Tweeter: 0.75″ Silk Dome
Enclosure: Ported
Frequency Response: 60Hz-20kHz
Impedance: 4-8 Ohms
Sensitivity: 85dB 1W/1M
Power Handling: 75 Watts (Each)

Thanks!
5005 is an excellent entry level amplifier. It can do justice to many medium/ good level speakers. Don't rush. Run your Micca with it. Once you know what you like or dislike about the sound, invest in a speaker that's slightly more expensive than what you think you can spend now. That way, by spreading your expenses over time, you can build a good system. That's what all of us do, irrespective of which budget bracket we are operating.
Happy listening.

Thank-you @ssf and @Lizard King for your replies, really appreciate it. :)

It's actually great to know that I can just go ahead and connect the MB42 to the Marantz and have it running till the point I get myself a set of new bookshelf speakers. I think I'll take a little time to decide which ones I want. Also, I ordered 2 sets of Banana Plug cables from Amazon to set the connection up with the MB42:

AmazonBasics Speaker Cable with Gold Plated Banana Tips - CL2-99.9% Oxygen Free - 12 Feet

I have one more question:

I have a Sony DVD player (Model No: DVD-SR520P) that I would like to use as an Audio CD player exclusively. Should I connect that to the Marantz PM5005? The Sony DVD player has a Coaxial Digital Output port at the back.

More specs about the Sony DVD Player are here: Sony DVP-SR520P

It's actually great to know that I can just go ahead and connect the MB42 to the Marantz and have it running till the point I get myself a set of new bookshelf speakers. I think I'll take a little time to decide which ones I want. Also, I ordered 2 sets of Banana Plug cables from Amazon to set the connection up with the MB42:

AmazonBasics Speaker Cable with Gold Plated Banana Tips - CL2-99.9% Oxygen Free - 12 Feet

I have a Sony DVD player (Model No: DVD-SR520P) that I would like to use as an Audio CD player exclusively. Should I connect that to the Marantz PM5005? The Sony DVD player has a Coaxial Digital Output port at the back.

If the Marantz has a digital in, then yes this is the way to go as the DAC in the Marantz will normally be superior to the DAC in the DVD player. But looks to me like the Marantz does not have a digital in.

If the Marantz has a digital in, then yes this is the way to go as the DAC in the Marantz will normally be superior to the DAC in the DVD player. But looks to me like the Marantz does not have a digital in.
The PM5005 does not have digital inputs so for the time being, you’ll have to connect it through the dvd players Front L/R analog RCA outputs. Same for the CD player as well.

Thank-you @DB1989 for the information, appreciate it.

Is the Mission LX-2 a good match with the Marantz PM5005?
Not a clue since i haven't heard the LX2s. I've heard the Mission QX2 with the NR1509 which has the same house sound as well other Marantz stereo amps and it was a match made in heaven.

Not a clue since i haven't heard the LX2s. I've heard the Mission QX2 with the NR1509 which has the same house sound as well other Marantz stereo amps and it was a match made in heaven.

Nice and I think the LX2's should also match up well with a Marantz.

I found this slightly older thread here on HFV about the LX2: Unboxing and first impressions of Mission LX2

Haven't gone through all the posts yet on the above thread but it should throw more light. I think starting with the LX2 should be a good path and will give me a good idea about what I would get next when that time comes, what do you think, please share your thoughts...

I did read a few reviews on Amazon as well regarding the LX2 and almost all were positive with one reviewer stating that they really shine with a Marantz Amp: Mission LX-2 Reviews

Also, this is a specs comparison between the Mission QX2 and the Mission LX2:
(Left: Mission QX-2 | Right: Mission LX-2)

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
Nice and I think the LX2's should also match up well with a Marantz.

I found this slightly older thread here on HFV about the LX2: Unboxing and first impressions of Mission LX2

Haven't gone through all the posts yet on the above thread but it should throw more light. I think starting with the LX2 should be a good path and will give me a good idea about what I would get next when that time comes, what do you think, please share your thoughts...

I did read a few reviews on Amazon as well regarding the LX2 and almost all were positive with one reviewer stating that they really shine with a Marantz Amp: Mission LX-2 Reviews

Also, this is a specs comparison between the Mission QX2 and the Mission LX2:
(Left: Mission QX-2 | Right: Mission LX-2)

Capture.jpg
In my books, comparing specs between speakers don't inform one much about how they sound or will perform. But generally speaking, higher the sensitivity, easier for the amplifier to drive. Plus the lower the low frequency extension, the better (actual in room response may be a whole another story). Personally, instead of going for an entry level speaker and having to upgrade soon after, i would go for a good mid level speaker if the budget permits. I've found myself upgrading quite often and almost immediately when I've opted for entry level gear to try it out for speed.

In my books, comparing specs between speakers don't inform one much about how they sound or will perform. But generally speaking, higher the sensitivity, easier for the amplifier to drive. Plus the lower the low frequency extension, the better (actual in room response may be a whole another story). Personally, instead of going for an entry level speaker and having to upgrade soon after, i would go for a good mid level speaker if the budget permits. I've found myself upgrading quite often and almost immediately when I've opted for entry level gear to try it out for speed.

Can you kindly point me to a good mid-level speaker/ speakers?

Sadly, auditioning speakers at this point is a no-go now due to the current Pandemic situation so I'll just have to take a leap of faith based on Youtube sound reviews heard through my headphones. This is also one of the reasons I'm thinking about going with the Mission LX-2 for now and then later when the Pandemic situation improves and things are back to normal I can go and audition and get the speakers I want after listening to them.

Or else, I would have to stick to my MICCA MB42's.

Last edited:
Please hear how your Micca sing with the new Amp.... spend some time with it and then search for another one.. I am not sure what you have paired Micca earlier with, but of course pm5005 will work well with it.

Thank-you. I was just listening to the Mission LX-2 from a video on Youtube on Headphones and they do sound really lovely.

Also, what about the ELAC B5 Debut?
I think they (Elacs) are warn sounding and may not pair well with pm5005 which also has a warm sound signature.

Can you kindly point me to a good mid-level speaker/ speakers?

Sadly, auditioning speakers at this point is a no-go now due to the current Pandemic situation so I'll just have to take a leap of faith based on Youtube sound reviews heard through my headphones. This is also one of the reasons I'm thinking about going with the Mission LX-2 for now and then later when the Pandemic situation improves and things are back to normal I can go and audition and get the speakers I want after listening to them.

Or else, I would have to stick to my MICCA MB42's.
My go to mid level speaker is the Mission QX2

@premoddev : I'll be hooking the MICCA's up tomorrow. Thought of doing it today but had other work to tend to today. Will listen to them for a few weeks before I order any new speakers.

@DB1989 : Have you heard the Polk Audio T15? Are they good? If anyone else here as heard the T15's please do post your opinion on how they sound.

@premoddev : I'll be hooking the MICCA's up tomorrow. Thought of doing it today but had other work to tend to today. Will listen to them for a few weeks before I order any new speakers.

@DB1989 : Have you heard the Polk Audio T15? Are they good? If anyone else here as heard the T15's please do post your opinion on how they sound.
Unfortunately, I havent heard the Pol T15s but wouldn't that be a lateral move when moving from the Micca's?

Folks, need some help here:

These are the Marantz Input ports at the back of the unit:

Capture23.jpg

If I want to connect my Netbook or my Android Tablet/ iPad (music source) to the PM5005 should I do the following: Use a 3.5mm Male to 2 X RCA Male cable and connect the 3.55mm jack to my Netbook/ Tab's Audio Headphone-Out port and connect the 2 X RCA to any of the AUDIO IN ports at the back of the PM5005 or do I use the CD AUDIO IN port? I want to bypass the on-board DAC in the Netbook and Tab/ iPad and use the DAC in the PM5005.

Do all the AUDIO IN ports (Tuner, CD, Network)at the back of the PM5005 work the same way and will automatically bypass the DAC of the connected devices and use the in-built DAC on the PM5005?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back