My NOS Jamo d830 / concert 8's

My mind is freaking BLOWN.

Had the setup on the entire weekend listening to English classics and electronic along with some contemporary recorded Bengali songs. I really don't know what to say. Every single song I'm playing, the same songs I've been listening to for years and took for granted, they are an entirely different experience on these bookshelves.

Details
s718: 30%
e875: 55%
d830: 90%

Bass under 120hz
s718: 70%
e875: 40%
d830: 20%

Soundstage
s718: 50' / broad but wooly
e875: 45' / narrow - very punchy and playful
d830: 80' / broad - projected and relaxing

Volume out of 100 required to make the speakers play on 130w @ 6ohms
s718: 28%
e875: 60%
d830: 70%

Last edited:
glad to see you are enthralled to the bits with your "new toy". But how do these periodic updates help readers at HFV?

IMO ideal place is FB & Twitter (maybe on hourly basis) unless U wish to add [# of posts] to your quota :p

glad to see you are enthralled to the bits with your "new toy". But how do these periodic updates help readers at HFV?

IMO ideal place is FB & Twitter (maybe on hourly basis) unless U wish to add [# of posts] to your quota :p

The s718 and c607/e875 are still in production. Anyone looking for information on those two models will benefit from the info above to get an idea of their comparative performance without too much technical detail.

Postcount is the last thing I care about. Just sharing the happiness :) besides, I don't have a twitter.

Last edited:
His posts are straight from the heart! He won't even feel like etc for some time :lol:

Pics please :p

hi Rocky, I posted some pics in previous pages but here it is anyway :)

73wvG.jpg

CnX8p.jpg

Last edited:
CorElement,
I noticed this thread just today , so kind a late in the game .
I also own a pair of Jamo concert 8 for last 12 years now . They have served me well . I recently bought a matching Jamo Concert 8 Center Ch speaker to go with this pair . Now I plan to put this pair and the Center Ch speaker on to my TV / video system .

Better late than never.

12 years! They must be broken in really nice by now! Do take some photos and share with us soon. What amp are you driving them with? And what are your plans of setting up the center speaker?
From what I know the center speaker though part of the same series has been criticized for not maintaining the timbre of the concert 8 and 11. As their defining characteristic was the w17e002 woofer and minimal crossover design but the center speaker doesn't have that driver, it uses the woofer that's used for delivering the low frequencies in the d870/concert 11. The center speaker with 2 woofers, a tweeter and larger dimensions supposedly weighs 10kgs while the d830's with 1 woofer 1 tweeter and smaller dimensions weigh 12.6. But I guess after 12 years of the d830 I don't think there's any harm in experimenting with the d8 cen and the bookshelves in a multichannel setup. Which AVR are you planning to hook them up to and which amplifier are you using at the moment?

Should be fun :D

Last edited:
Well well well, look what I found today in my backup files from years ago.

My creative t7800 7.1 that I had from 2005-2009 in our previous apartment (Now being used by my brother because he's in the phase I was back then thinking lots of small speakers = nirvana :p

CWIzE.jpg

Last edited:
Man that looks sweet. Must sound amazing. Very well set up

Thank you Karthik :)

Also, Update:

The Jamo tinned copper speaker cables which I took off and replaced with the THX cables on my main setup... My brother and I are going to attempt doing a little surgery on the Philips fullrange speakers. Since there is no binding post we're going to take off the near 38 year old 26 gauge speaker cables connected to the driver directly and replace them with my 18 gauge Jamo OFC. The 26g ones currently on the philips 8" driver are barely hanging on with 4 threads and they're all oxidized, there's no crossover so it'll be going directly to the tube amp. We're gonna do one speaker tonight then compare the difference with the other one before doing the other one.

aGWuE.jpg

Update: After 2 hours the cable for one speaker has been entirely replaced with the new Jamo OFC cables. Now it plays better than the other speaker lol.

Last edited:
Witnessed these beauties, astounding never heard before sound! Just like Knob Creek (weird comparison but that's the way i'd like to put it lol)
Thanks Rahul.

Witnessed these beauties, astounding never heard before sound! Just like Knob Creek (weird comparison but that's the way i'd like to put it lol)
Thanks Rahul.

Rockfella and Arihant Jain visited last night and listened to the setup for 2.5 hours :)

And today..Guess who brought his Wharfedale Denton speakers and Cambridge Audio Azur 640c + Interconnects over.

Heliumflight!
He just left right now, after a couple of hours of listening and comparing the dentons and concert 8's to get an idea of the cambridge audio azur 840a amplifier.
Will put up some pics in a while.

Last edited:
Core, why din you place the Dentons on the stands for a proper listening session???

Core, why din you place the Dentons on the stands for a proper listening session???

Because we did back to back speaker zone A / B comparisons and moving the concert 8's is a huge task, They're too heavy to swap multiple times everytime to hear zone A or zone B. Helium should not be lifting heavy weights and I had work on while helium was over. But still managed to hear them :)

Last edited:
So whats the verdict on the Dentons???

They're pretty good, I would not call them all round performers but definitely quite good for genres like Jazz and solo vocal performances or Piano tracks. Where as I and my mother listen to a lot of electronic, trance and instrumental new age music for which the denton's just don't have the sound signature for those genres.

So it's very much a matter of preference and requirement.
For Helium who listens to a lot of jazz and classical instruments and has space constraints, it's perfect for him. He made the correct decision in that regard.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back