My NOS Jamo d830 / concert 8's

corElement

My NOS Jamo d830 / concert 8 bookshelf speakers!

I bought them off ebay and arrived at my friend Jorge's house in california. He's just sent over these photos for me :yahoo: It was the first time he saw a high end loudspeaker in person and handled them (He's an earplug guy :p)

BEHOLD THESE BEAUTIES WHICH SHALL SOON BE MINE (in june hopefully)
Friend says they're huge and heavy in real life and put his phone and laptop beside it, and weighed it to give an idea (12.4 kg each bookshelf)

tML5Y.jpg

PYref.jpg

Ai03b.jpg

UrEss.jpg

tie1y.jpg

g117w.jpg

ndAZN.jpg

mT34P.jpg

5RfZg.jpg

jF6Vo.jpg

XyCoK.jpg

EHeYk.jpg

Last edited:
Superb! They are beauties! And enormous bookshelves. If I may ask, how much did it cost you? Are you planning to bring them back as baggage?

Superb! They are beauties! And enormous bookshelves. If I may ask, how much did it cost you? Are you planning to bring them back as baggage?

They're satans music system man! I paid exactly $666 for both. Have been stalking ebay US since 2009 for a pair and my effort finally paid off. Honestly can't believe my luck finding a pair in NOS condition. Original value in the us was $2800 till 2008 when their production was halted and replaced with the R series dipoles. This pair was sitting in the box at the owners house as a spare pair which was used maybe once or twice. So they're not even broken in..

I am indeed planning to bring them back as baggage. 1 in each suitcase as allowance is 50 lbs x 2 suitcases.

Last edited:
corElement Congratulations I am sure they sound just as good as they look - This is a awesome deal

Excellent Speaker;
I have heard these - several years back & have always liked them.
They were on my wish list to buy - many years back - i.e. after my Linn & before the Dynaudio Confidence 5 that I purchased.

This is a 'serious' speaker.
I would love to know what is the rest of your chain ?
Stand for the speaker ?
Front End ?
Amplification ?
Cables ?

All the Best !
Enjoy, these are really nice speakers;

p.s. Please do ensure that they are placed 30" ++ from the rear wall - at least - they are rear ported speakers - will need the place to play well....

Amplifiers to consider :-

RM 10

If budget permits - do consider this - on a serious note :-

RM 200

Unison ResearchS2K KT88 Class A Single Ended Pentode l... | Tube | AudiogoN

MastersounD Dueventi EL-34 Integrated | Tube | AudiogoN

In the SS Domain - I would suggest a NAD Silverline [old model] if you can find one on e-bay - will be a great match for your speaker.
NAD M3 Integrated Amplifier | Solid state | AudiogoN
This is the new model - replacement - I still prefer the older model - Gryphon Audio [Denmark] had designed it for NAD - several years back.

Bow Technologies ZZ-ONE Integrated Amplifier | Solid state | AudiogoN

This is another amp that is superb.
May actually work with your speaker.

Ayre AX-7e - 230v | Solid state | AudiogoN
Good Amp - Incorrect Price - may be a good buy @ US $'s 1750 to 1850 - talk to the seller - see if he can give it to you @ that price - may be a great match for your speaker.

All the Best !

Hope you get the speaker soon & are in a position to mate it with the correct amplification....Enjoy !

Wow! That's a steal. Congratulations.

Yep, plus if I wanted to sell it (which I dont think i will for a long long time) I'm sure they'll sell once again for atleast the same price I bought em for if not more.

corElement Congratulations I am sure they sound just as good as they look - This is a awesome deal

Thankyou :lol:

Excellent Speaker;
I have heard these - several years back & have always liked them.
They were on my wish list to buy - many years back - i.e. after my Linn & before the Dynaudio Confidence 5 that I purchased.

How come you never got them? Budget restrictions / different mindframe at the time?

This is a 'serious' speaker.

Hmm, well I certainly hope so. Because I know I'm pretty serious about it. Basically had my eye on these for 3 years now as an "endgame" speaker.

I can't maintain an audiophile lifestyle with regular upgrades and changes. Wanted something portable that fits in a suitcase but something above the 2500USD price bracket in terms of sound quality, that people all over the world have already vouched for, yet is not so big and heavy that it cannot be portable. These fit all the criterias for me. A speaker I will not have to always feel is a mass market production line speaker to too heavy and big that I have to leave behind if I move to another country for work or something. Something I won't feel like upgrading from for many years.

I would love to know what is the rest of your chain ?
Stand for the speaker ?
Front End ?
Amplification ?
Cables ?

Stand : I have not decided yet as I may be going abroad for masters in 2013 and stands are heavy so might buy it abroad or get some el cheapo ones here temporarily. Maybe from a member?

Front end: Not sure what this is, are you talking about preamp?

Amplification: At the moment I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 840a which is kind of an interesting amp. It has 4 seperate power supplies and each left right channel has their individual monoblock amplification while the control interface is treated as a seperate preamp with seperate power.

The amplification type is a combination of class a at low levels and class ab at higher levels with the amp intercepting the signal transitioning from class a to class ab where the crossover distortion takes place and displacing it forward by a small % which frees the sound from the distortion class ab amplification is known to have and retain the wave from the class a signal. It sounds gimmicky but I heard the amp beside a pure class a and pure class ab amp. It most certainly DOES work. I've pushed the amp to max volume of 200w per ch and even at max there is barely ANY audible distortion and details are beautiful and open, you can hear clear details in every track even several rooms away without distortion. No hint of brightness or harshness to the sound. I feel it will be a very good match to the d830 to match it's overly forward highs.

The only thing I want to complain about the 840a is that it's lows are somewhat laid back and overly smooth. Does not ATTACK you.
Apart from that the details in each track are literally handed to you on a silver platter. I love it and quite looking forward to pairing it's gentle harshless sound with the d830.

That the amp has won several awards and has received a lot of praise over the last 7 years. So lets see. I personally think it will be suitably matched to produce the sound signature I am looking for.

Cables: Presently I have JAMO oxygen free copper cables (which is the same cable used inside the concert 8 speaker) so I think it's probably a match made in heaven.
Here's an extract from the concert 8 / d830 internal manual

"The internal wiring for connections are made with the newly developed Jamo High Definition (Oxygen Free Copper) flat Cable with a sectional area of 2.5mm2. this cable features low resistance, no self induction and low capacitive reactance, which means that it will not affect the signal from the amplifier in anyway, thus permitting full control over the units."

audio-grade-cable.jpg

I have the middle one.

p.s. Please do ensure that they are placed 30" ++ from the rear wall - at least - they are rear ported speakers - will need the place to play well....

They'll both be around 24" away from the wall which I think is fine. I listen to stuff at low to medium volume most of the time anyway.

Congrats! They are very good Speakers of the Jamo line!
You need a good amp to drive them!

Thank you :D Luckily I think I have an amp which will do the speaker justice :)

Amplifiers to consider :-

RM 10

If budget permits - do consider this - on a serious note :-

RM 200

Unison ResearchS2K KT88 Class A Single Ended Pentode l... | Tube | AudiogoN

MastersounD Dueventi EL-34 Integrated | Tube | AudiogoN

In the SS Domain - I would suggest a NAD Silverline [old model] if you can find one on e-bay - will be a great match for your speaker.
NAD M3 Integrated Amplifier | Solid state | AudiogoN
This is the new model - replacement - I still prefer the older model - Gryphon Audio [Denmark] had designed it for NAD - several years back.

Bow Technologies ZZ-ONE Integrated Amplifier | Solid state | AudiogoN

This is another amp that is superb.
May actually work with your speaker.

Ayre AX-7e - 230v | Solid state | AudiogoN
Good Amp - Incorrect Price - may be a good buy @ US $'s 1750 to 1850 - talk to the seller - see if he can give it to you @ that price - may be a great match for your speaker.

All the Best !

Hope you get the speaker soon & are in a position to mate it with the correct amplification....Enjoy !

Wow that's a lot of quality information! I will most certainly look these up.
When I go for masters it might open a window to change amps, this will definitely come in handy then.

Last edited:
Congrats on your Concert 8s. I have heard these speakers and the concert 11 floorstanders. The Concert 8s are very good, the bass on the 11s is a bit sluggish but the mids on both are to die for.

You are a true Jamo fan :).

The speakers are looking good and with your photography skills they look even better. :clapping:

Kudos to your presentation skills. ;)

Congrats on your Concert 8s. I have heard these speakers and the concert 11 floorstanders. The Concert 8s are very good, the bass on the 11s is a bit sluggish but the mids on both are to die for.

You are a true Jamo fan :).

LOL thank you. Pre china jamo sound of the higher models is definitely the sound signature my ears seem to be fond of. heard many brands but something about the e8-d8 series sound signature my ears love.

Also, I agree, I had a thorough look at everything on the d870 floorstander's details and even on paper the d870 seems like it would lose the punch of the 830 and gain low bass extension. I prefer the punch over the extention.

The speakers are looking good and with your photography skills they look even better. :clapping:

Kudos to your presentation skills. ;)

LOL dude they werent taken by me, its taken on some camera phone by my friend in the US :p I told him what kind of shots he should take so I could assess their condition. Luckily they're in mint condition.

In the long run the real wood is not as polished as I'd like it to be so will probably polish it further by french polish when i get my hands on it.

How come you never got them? Budget restrictions / different mindframe at the time?

I purchased the Dynaudio Confidence 5's
[MSRP was 10/- K US in 2002]
Therefore the Jamo was put on a back burner.
Besides, I would have preferred the Dynaudio Esotar Midrange [dome] & Esoter Tweeter over SEAS Excel Drivers;;; :indifferent14:

p.s. I do hope you get the correct amplifier & not use the CA - it will not do 'justice' to the Seas Excel drivers;;

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This was my older set up !

I purchased the Dynaudio Confidence 5's
[MSRP was 10/- K US in 2002]
Therefore the Jamo was put on a back burner.
Besides, I would have preferred the Dynaudio Esotar Midrange [dome] & Esoter Tweeter over SEAS Excel Drivers;;; :indifferent14:

p.s. I do hope you get the correct amplifier & not use the CA - it will not do 'justice' to the Seas Excel drivers;;

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This was my older set up !

Damn, that's really up there. A lot of equipment and very expensive.

Amp.. well.. I'm still young at 25 :p many years to try out different amps. Have a fixed budget of 2000$ within with I float around since 2009 for hifi stuff. I try not to go above it as I start guilt tripping myself. Been saving everything for masters abroad the last 4 years. So who knows, lets see if I can get a similar high value for money deal in the future, Education and living expensive abroad is very expensive.

I know that at one point in the future I would like a yamaha ns1000m or x or 1500 or 2000 but those would need even better amps lol

Last edited:
Wow that's a lot of quality information! I will most certainly look these up.
When I go for masters it might open a window to change amps, this will definitely come in handy then.

Congrats on the new speakers. Looks very, very well built. Must be sounding equally good.

I'll happily to add to the confusion: do consider the Ayon Orion as well (Orion II : Ayon Audio).

Congrats on the new speakers. Looks very, very well built. Must be sounding equally good.

I'll happily to add to the confusion: do consider the Ayon Orion as well (Orion II : Ayon Audio).

Will do, ty vm!

Congrats on the Concert 8's purchase.
I think the CA 840A amp is completely different from the rest of the CA amps. Here is a nice thread on the amp Cambridge 840A amp Review - pink fish media

I too agree it is completely different from other ca amps. The sound signature is nothing like the 3 5 6 or 7xx's all of them have a certain blunt clinicality, the 840a's sound is more..round..wholesome, very detailed and transient.

thanks for the link btw

Last edited:
I found this cross section of the concert 11. I think it gives a good idea of what the internals of the concert 8 are like as well..

Thoughts?

post-27321-1203251152.png

Last edited:
I just found out that the drivers used in the concert series are different from the openly available Seas Excel drivers. Apparently the excel tweeter and woofer on the concert 8's were exclusively made for the jamo.

For example these are the model numbers of the excel woofers available on the open market which are 8 ohms.

and these are the tweeters:

However the ones on the concert 8 are marked 4 ohms, and the model number is
For tweeter is 20531
For woofer is 20525

They apparently look the same from the front but are customized on the rear.

EDIT: found this pic for the internals:
109241390_fed0f2646b_o.jpg

Quite a good bit of internal padding, looks like a good 2.5" thick.
The internal wire appears to be different from the Jamo OFC cable I have. Might have to get a similar wire in the future for optimal performance.

PS. For future / Internets reference I found the service reference for the crossover, here:

o99ut.jpg

Hmmm, this thread is turning into my blog =S LOL!

If someone doesnt mind, could someone with crossover knowledge help me understand the above crossover and what it means.
The reason why I'm asking is because the d830's crossover is known to be a little biased towards the highs. Jamo corrected this
in the jamo d870 with treble adjustment knobs like the ones in the pic below, so I'm just trying to understand.

Jamo2.jpg

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back