NAD OWNERS THREAD

looks like there are about 4 paths to move up the NAD models . BEE, C Series,D series and Master. What is big jump from a sound perspective if one were to move from BEE to C or to Masters?

The "C" series without the BEE suffix were the older lot from NAD, these were later upgraded with the BEE suffix. For example C320's most recent avatar is C326 BEE. These days, NAD is using the "C" series without the BEE suffix for hybrid digital amps. The v2 (version 2) on the new amps generally refers to the inclusion of an inbuilt phonostage.

Sound-stage wise, these different amplifiers fulfill different listening styles and requirements, hence one cannot really always classify a switch between NAD amplifier models, as an upgrade. For example, I changed from a NAD 106 - NAD 216thx combination to the 3020 (original version). I view this as an upgrade in sound stage as the 3020 sounded better to my ears.

Of course the evolution of NAD integrated amplifiers has been always written about, especially how the original 3020 evolved through its life cycle, and later into the 300 series like the 302, 304, 306 and then later to the C300, C320 and the higher power versions like the C350 and C370. Interesting stuff.

Last edited:
The "C" series without the BEE suffix were the older lot from NAD, these were later upgraded with the BEE suffix. For example C320's most recent avatar is C326 BEE. These days, NAD is using the "C" series without the BEE suffix for hybrid digital amps. The v2 (version 2) on the new amps generally refers to the inclusion of an inbuilt phonostage.

Sound-stage wise, these different amplifiers fulfill different listening styles and requirements, hence one cannot really always classify a switch between NAD amplifier models, as an upgrade. For example, I changed from a NAD 106 - NAD 216thx combination to the 3020 (original version). I view this as an upgrade in sound stage as the 3020 sounded better to my ears.

Of course the evolution of NAD integrated amplifiers has been always written about, especially how the original 3020 evolved through its life cycle, and later into the 300 series like the 302, 304, 306 and then later to the C300, C320 and the higher power versions like the C350 and C370. Interesting stuff.
Between the Class D amps D series and C series .Other than form factor iam curious to know how customer selection criteria would be.
Is the classd C series a stepup compared to D series? I think the NAD website can get better to navigate if the buyer journey is improved.

Nad amps with the C prefix are generally old school analog, with at times, the option of plugins like DACs on the other side of it, NAD amplifiers are extremely popular and there is a lot written about them. They are usually deemed as staple in the entry level audiophile space. However their equipment are far ahead of being "entry level" :)

"BEE" is a suffix, not a series or model range. This suffix indicates that the design was reviewed by Bjorn Erik Edvardsen, or uses inputs provided by him. Bjorn does not work with NAD anymore, but advises them sometimes.

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi

yes exactly, with the exception of the 3020 which was a brilliant design by Bjorn, however his initials were not used in this instance.

Talking about suffixes, one may also come across PE, which refers to NAD's Power Envelope Technology

Any experience with NAD pre power combo and suggestions for NAD pre and power combo . Can be old models or new but not master series.Thanks.

I have used the following with great results:

NAD 106 with NAD 216thx
NAD C160 with NAD 208thx

Classic NAD sound but with enhanced flexibility and of course tonnes of power. The NAD 106 is an upgraded version of the NAD 1000. These older NAD preamplifiers had wonderful phonostages. The C160 had the option of operating its source selector and volume control, with a IR remote control.

I have used the following with great results:

NAD 106 with NAD 216thx
NAD C160 with NAD 208thx

Classic NAD sound but with enhanced flexibility and of course tonnes of power. The NAD 106 is an upgraded version of the NAD 1000. These older NAD preamplifiers had wonderful phonostages. The C160 had the option of operating its source selector and volume control, with a IR remote control.

In the NAD 275BEE power amp there is input variable control at the back as per user manual. Iam assuming this can be used like a volume pot? Is my understanding correct.
I think this is one of few power amps with a volume control at the input side.

Last edited:
Need a remote for NAD C372..
SR5 is the model of the remote, anywhere I can buy it in India?

Need a remote for NAD C372..
SR5 is the model of the remote, anywhere I can buy it in India?

A universal remote will work well with all NADs. For some time, my brother was using a Airtel DTH universal remote with his NAD 320. You will have to program the remote, though.

In the NAD 275BEE power amp there is input variable control at the back as per user manual. Iam assuming this can be used like a volume pot? Is my understanding correct.

I have noticed that the input gain controls and preamp out-put level controls on the pack panels of NADs are not level pots in the fullest sense. The just provide marginal reduction or increase in level. Even when turned way down, the amplifier will sing.

Can a 375BEE deliver equivalent to a NAD C165BEE/C275BEE combo or is the difference significant?
Thanks

No I don't think that's a preamp. It must be an adjuster for input from a preamp. Use a preamp with the Poweramp and use the adjuster to make sure the preamp is not under or overdriving the Poweramp.

MaSh

Any inputs appreciated.

The circuitry is essentially the same with some mods on the preamp. There is an inbuilt phonostage in the 165BEE while one would have the option of adding either a phonostage or dac as a plug-in module to the 375 BEE. In my opinion it all comes down to convenience. If one needs more flexibility, then the pre-power combo wins, if one needs all in one box, then the integrated wins. In my opinion, the advantage of a pre-power combo is the discrete powersupplies for both the preamp and poweramp which is a plus. Also decent interconnects are needed between the pre and power. If you are into vinyl, then the phonostage of the 165 BEE is great. I believe its better than the plug in module which can be added to the 375BEE. The plug in module phonostage is an upgraded version of the NAD PP series phonostages (which was quite basic in my view. One of key highlights using a NAD preamp with those great inbuilt phonostages is that somehow, they seem to smoothen out the background noise from the LP and bring out the music. Having said this, the phonostages on the newer NAD preamps may not be as good as those on the older ones :) For example, I liked the phonostage of the 106, more than the 160 which I now have.

No I don't think that's a preamp. It must be an adjuster for input from a preamp. Use a preamp with the Poweramp and use the adjuster to make sure the preamp is not under or overdriving the Poweramp.

MaSh

Exactly, its not a pot for adjusting the level. Its for marginally adjusting the preamp gain.

The circuitry is essentially the same with some mods on the preamp. There is an inbuilt phonostage in the 165BEE while one would have the option of adding either a phonostage or dac as a plug-in module to the 375 BEE. In my opinion it all comes down to convenience. If one needs more flexibility, then the pre-power combo wins, if one needs all in one box, then the integrated wins. In my opinion, the advantage of a pre-power combo is the discrete powersupplies for both the preamp and poweramp which is a plus. Also decent interconnects are needed between the pre and power. If you are into vinyl, then the phonostage of the 165 BEE is great. I believe its better than the plug in module which can be added to the 375BEE. The plug in module phonostage is an upgraded version of the NAD PP series phonostages (which was quite basic in my view. One of key highlights using a NAD preamp with those great inbuilt phonostages is that somehow, they seem to smoothen out the background noise from the LP and bring out the music. Having said this, the phonostages on the newer NAD preamps may not be as good as those on the older ones :) For example, I liked the phonostage of the 106, more than the 160 which I now have.
Thanks. I dont spin vinyl .Only Digital via DAC and BT (iam not a audiophile purist ).At this time 375BEE is ahead on my list.The thought process is i have a NAD316BEE and to get to next level there is little to be gained by moving marginally up. Atleast this is what i have experienced and its my personal opinion . NAD Masters is simply too steep a budget at this time.

The 316BEE is an integrated. It is NAD's entry level amp. Many enter the world of NAD with this amp and hence you'd find a lot of these on the used market (or its earlier versions). The prices off the shelf in India are quite high compared to other parts of the world. On another note, even though you're not into vinyl, just for trivia, the 316 BEE has 2 versions, only version 2 has an inbuilt phonostage. The earlier avataars of the 316 do not have phonostages. This may seem irrelevant but if you starting at this point with NAD, its almost sure that you're going to get bitten by the NAD bug and want to upgrade. When you want to sell of old amplifiers, having an inbuilt phonostage is always a plus as many these days are looking for amps with phonostages.

The 316BEE is an integrated. It is NAD's entry level amp. Many enter the world of NAD with this amp and hence you'd find a lot of these on the used market (or its earlier versions). The prices off the shelf in India are quite high compared to other parts of the world. On another note, even though you're not into vinyl, just for trivia, the 316 BEE has 2 versions, only version 2 has an inbuilt phonostage. The earlier avataars of the 316 do not have phonostages. This may seem irrelevant but if you starting at this point with NAD, its almost sure that you're going to get bitten by the NAD bug and want to upgrade. When you want to sell of old amplifiers, having an inbuilt phonostage is always a plus as many these days are looking for amps with phonostages.
Thanks.I started the audio journey 12+ yrs ago with 320BEE then moved on to various other popular brands and came back to NAD316BEE ver1 (ie w/o phono)

Thanks.I started the audio journey 12+ yrs ago with 320BEE then moved on to various other popular brands and came back to NAD316BEE ver1 (ie w/o phono)
The 316BEE was a buy w/o any demo.Driving the Xavian Spkrs.

Anybody folks have auditioned or own NAD C388 (approx Rs1.6 L LP from Kei,Mumbai)or Bluesound PowerNode2i (approx Rs 1L LP from Kei,Mumbai )?

Can a 375BEE deliver equivalent to a NAD C165BEE/C275BEE combo or is the difference significant?
Thanks

I preferred the separates in the older series. They were more relaxed. Not sure how significant you would find it in your system, but there is a difference.

Thanks,
Sharad Medhavi

I preferred the separates in the older series. They were more relaxed. Not sure how significant you would find it in your system, but there is a difference.

Thanks,
Sharad Medhavi
Thank you for the response.Maybe ClassAB amps across brands may find less users with changing buying preferences of next gen people

NAD has three classd series of amps (D series and C series) and one more ie powernode2i if bluesound is included. M10 master's is also classd.

Iam evaluating which option to take.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back